I'm getting a new PC, I'm thinking of putting Linux Mandrake on my old PC and using it as a proxy server for my new pc and laptop.

Does anyone know if this is worth doing on a Celeron 500 ?

Also, does anyone else use Linux to browse the net and work in general?

Not sure of the spec required for Mandrake but it is bound to be skimpy since that is part of the ethos of Linux. I did toy with downloading a copy of Lindows but thought better of it and binned it.

I'm a very happy XP user :)

Have a business friend that has used linux to create their e-commerce site. A lot of effort and pain but the bod seems happy with what he's got. My opinion is that its a lot of f'k'n about for no great benefit. As pieman says .NET is K.I.S.S. :D

Guest Simon Stainrod

Go with Red Hat if you decide to install a flavour of Linux, 500Mhz is more than enough if you intend to use your PC for programming/development. If you fancy a challenge and want something a little bit more secure, try FreeBSD.

I develop all my sites on *nix boxes, but I'm just old fashioned. B)

Go with Red Hat if you decide to install a flavour of Linux, 500Mhz is more than enough if you intend to use your PC for programming/development. If you fancy a challenge and want something a little bit more secure, try FreeBSD.

I develop all my sites on *nix boxes, but I'm just old fashioned. B)

Indeed - this very site sits on a Red Hat server with apache - and very stable it is too. For web hosting there really is only one platform that is worth even considering :)

Archived