What Are You Listening To?

ICTChris

Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics. Heard this on Soccer AM a few weeks ago and had to download it. Sweet. B)

Trying to get away from constantly listening to rock/indie stuff. Any other hip-hop for beginners recommendations?! :lol: B)

Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics. Heard this on Soccer AM a few weeks ago and had to download it. Sweet. B)

Trying to get away from constantly listening to rock/indie stuff. Any other hip-hop for beginners recommendations?! :lol: B)

Excellent track. :)

If you like that you should really start with early 90s hiphop: De La Soul's "3 Feet High and Rising" is the one that everybody mentions, my favourite group was A Tribe Called Quest as well. If you're just downloading songs just now, go for Electric Relaxation, Award Tour, Scenario (and the remix as well), and pretty much everything by them in fact.

Blackalicious are part of the Quannum collective, you should check out Lyrics Born as well (the track "Calling Out" is awesome) and anything by DJ Shadow as well.

I could go on at even greater length if required ;):lol:

Excellent track. :)

If you like that you should really start with early 90s hiphop: De La Soul's "3 Feet High and Rising" is the one that everybody mentions, my favourite group was A Tribe Called Quest as well. If you're just downloading songs just now, go for Electric Relaxation, Award Tour, Scenario (and the remix as well), and pretty much everything by them in fact.

Blackalicious are part of the Quannum collective, you should check out Lyrics Born as well (the track "Calling Out" is awesome) and anything by DJ Shadow as well.

I could go on at even greater length if required ;):lol:

Please do! :)

I see Blackalicious have 3 albums out, anyone you would recommend in particular?

3 Feet High was out when I was in 4th/5th year and school so I was down wit dat and have had that in my collection for a while now.

Only know "Can I Kick It" from ATCQ - any recommendations for them?

I really like hip-hop, Motown, Northern Soul etc but hate RnB - is that a massive contradiction?? :unsure:

Please do! :)

I see Blackalicious have 3 albums out, anyone you would recommend in particular?

Blazing Arrow is their best I think! I'd also recommend the Solesides Greatest Bumps compilation, it has some of their early stuff along with the other Quannum people I mentioned.

Only know "Can I Kick It" from ATCQ - any recommendations for them?

Their first three albums are all essential (Peoples Instinctive Travels and the Paths Of Rhythm, The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders). Low End Theory and Midnight are their best. They have another two albums after that, Beats Rhymes and Life, and The Love Movement, which are patchy but still both have some great tracks. :)

De La's whole back catalogue is great as well, well worth looking into.

I'd also recommend the album Illmatic by Nas, it's the best hiphop album ever IMO. :)

I really like hip-hop, Motown, Northern Soul etc but hate RnB - is that a massive contradiction?? :unsure:

Not really, most modern RnB is gash. Although there's always the odd gem thrown up here or there, just difficult to find them without having to wade through loads of rubbish.