The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Guest Tatty Boabie
I've traditionally been a Leeds sympathiser, my mum's from tehre, I still have family there most of whom are Leeds fans and I lived there myself for a bit.

That's all out the window now though, I don't really understand how anyone who claims to be a football fan and is aware of the goings-on at Elland Road this year can wish them any success for the foreseeable future.

Leeds will probably go up this season, you have a decent team, because they're paying higher wages and transfer fees than pretty much anyone else in the league. But, of course, every other team in the league is handicapped by having to pay the Inland Revenue and the St Johns Ambulance and all those other annoying little debts. Genuine question to the Leeds fans - do you not have any misgivings about that? Do you really think that'll be something worthy of celebration if and when it happens, as if it were some kind of achievement?

I understand your point, but I'm a fan of Leeds United the football team. Whilst I won't be jumping around as if we'd won The Premiership, I will be delighted for the team and the supporters, who I think it's fair to say have endured enough over the last 5 or 6 years.

I understand your point, but I'm a fan of Leeds United the football team. Whilst I won't be jumping around as if we'd won The Premiership, I will be delighted for the team and the supporters, who I think it's fair to say have endured enough over the last 5 or 6 years.

The thing was, though, we were jumping up and down like madmen during the Champions' League years. The last 5 or 6 years have been the payback for a gamble that ultimately backfired. I'm not sure that 'the club' can be separated from 'the business' anymore anywhere in football - and 'the business' has shat on more people than I'd care to meet.

Leeds are by no means alone - just arguably the most high profile.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

The last thing I want to read is about being gloomy again so I won't respond to the post about us celebrating, except to say I WILL be jumping for joy if we get promoted and I'll be proud to do so, we have been at the pits of hell and are slowly returning, WE as Leeds United fans deserve to have a celebration of good fortune and I will fully commit myself to that should it occur.

Just to let everyone know:

On Saturday 15th December, should the following results occur;

Swansea draw with Southend.

Carlisle draw with Orient.

Nottm. Forest draw or lose to Northampton.

Leeds beat Walsall

WE WILL BE TOP OF THE LEAGUE ON GOAL DIFFERENCE. :D:D:D

The last thing I want to read is about being gloomy again so I won't respond to the post about us celebrating, except to say I WILL be jumping for joy if we get promoted and I'll be proud to do so, we have been at the pits of hell and are slowly returning, WE as Leeds United fans deserve to have a celebration of good fortune and I will fully commit myself to that should it occur.

Fair enough guys, I'm not having a pop.

As far as I see it, anything Leeds win they're winning by cheating - I know that's my opinion and of course you're not obliged to share it, but I'm just curious to know to what extent you feel able to take any pride in winning something in such circumstances.

I don't really buy the line about how much the fans have suffered over the past five or six years, they've experienced good times that supporters of many, even most, clubs never will. It smacks a little bit of the build-up to our cup final against Celtic in '94, when the media kept twatting on about all these wonderful Celtic fans who'd had to endure a whole five years without a trophy, the poor b*****ds.

Guest Tatty Boabie

As far as I see it, anything Leeds win they're winning by cheating - I know that's my opinion and of course you're not obliged to share it, but I'm just curious to know to what extent you feel able to take any pride in winning something in such circumstances.

I don't really buy the line about how much the fans have suffered over the past five or six years, they've experienced good times that supporters of many, even most, clubs never will. It smacks a little bit of the build-up to our cup final against Celtic in '94, when the media kept twatting on about all these wonderful Celtic fans who'd had to endure a whole five years without a trophy, the poor b*****ds.

Like I say, I do understand the point your making, and I know your not having a pop, but after the last 5 or 6 years, it is going to be very difficult for people like myself and Rinky Sidebottom to feel gloomy if we win League One.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

Sorry but that is bollox. Leeds United will win things this season (if we are lucky) through hard effort by the players and from the loyal support of the Leeds United fans, not by cheating and to suggest otherwise is pathetic.

What club has gone through what Leeds United has in the last 50 years and survived, none. Yet here we are 4 years on and we are beginning to show signs of life again and throughout this terrible period one thing has remained consistent, that of the loyal support of the vast majority of the Leeds United support, for whom anyone with any sense of normal thinking, would agree have been through one hell of a roller coaster ride that not many would be able to handle.

Why can't people be supportive of the way a club that was dying, managed to survive through the skin of its teeth and is now on the way back?

I'm proud to support Leeds United and I'm proud that the club survived the most difficult period in its history, I want the world to know how proud I am and whilst I don't really care about what other clubs think of us, I know many of them are jealous of the way Leeds have survived and the way our massive support has remained.

MARCHING ON TOGETHER.

Edited by Rinky Sidebottom

Sorry but that is bollox. Leeds United will win things this season (if we are lucky) through hard effort by the players and from the loyal support of the Leeds United fans, not by cheating and to suggest otherwise is pathetic.

What club has gone through what Leeds United has in the last 50 years and survived, none. Yet here we are 4 years on and we are beginning to show signs of life again and throughout this terrible period one thing has remained consistent, that of the loyal support of the vast majority of the Leeds United support, for whom anyone with any sense of normal thinking, would agree have been through one hell of a roller coaster ride that not many would be able to handle.

Why can't people be supportive of the way a club that was dying, managed to survive through the skin of its teeth and is now on the way back?

I'm proud to support Leeds United and I'm proud that the club survived the most difficult period in its history, I want the world to know how proud I am and whilst I don't really care about what other clubs think of us, I know many of them are jealous of the way Leeds have survived and the way our massive support has remained.

MARCHING ON TOGETHER.

Here Here.

Does that fud yoss not know we were fined 15 points. That was our punishment, un-deserved I might add, so any success now would certainly not be down to cheating and I for one will be utterly joyous should we get promoted.

Get it up the strange anti-leeds mob.

MOT

Here Here.

Does that fud yoss not know we were fined 15 points. That was our punishment, un-deserved I might add, so any success now would certainly not be down to cheating and I for one will be utterly joyous should we get promoted.

Get it up the strange anti-leeds mob.

MOT

You'll have to work hard too and it'll still be impressive, don't deny that. And there are plenty of examples of people spending money and still being shit.

But when it comes to it, you're doing well because you've got better players than other teams in the division. And that's because you're paying them more money. That a situation has arisen where that's allowed to be the case even though every other team is paying its debts* and you aren't is scandalous. I don't see that the points deduction remotely covers it.

I'm not the least bit jealous you've survived, btw, I'm very glad you did.

I'm not going to get into dick-measuring contests about what team's fans have suffered the most over the years though.

(* - okay, bar Luton. But somehow I think they're not about to start splashing transfer fees and big wages around and start climbing the league.)

If I thought you were on the way back by competing on a level-playing field then yeah, I'd be fully supportive.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom
If I thought you were on the way back by competing on a level-playing field then yeah, I'd be fully supportive.

In line with this reply, it states in the Daily Mirror (last week) that Bates will give Wise £1m to spend on players during the transfer window, this includes the players wages, so I would imagine Wise is looking at a centre half, left back, defensive midfielder and play-maker, any suggestions as to who?

Look for De Costa and De Vries going back to their clubs in the window.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

Pish result today, even if we left it late to level, not what I expected. Douglas looks to be out injured for a while, as he was carried off with a serious leg injury near the end. :angry:

Guest Tatty Boabie
Pish result today, even if we left it late to level, not what I expected. Douglas looks to be out injured for a while, as he was carried off with a serious leg injury near the end. :angry:

Yes, the injury to Douglas doesn't sound good.

I too, was hoping for more, but teams like Walsall will be difficult to put away this season.

Guest Tatty Boabie
In line with this reply, it states in the Daily Mirror (last week) that Bates will give Wise £1m to spend on players during the transfer window, this includes the players wages, so I would imagine Wise is looking at a centre half, left back, defensive midfielder and play-maker, any suggestions as to who?

Look for De Costa and De Vries going back to their clubs in the window.

Any news on players he is interested in signing in the transfer window?

Guest Rinky Sidebottom
Any news on players he is interested in signing in the transfer window?

None yet. I wonder if he will have a go at trying to bring in Hartson from WBA for a loan period, he's available and I reckon could do us a job in Division One.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom
Rio Ferdinand.

Ah, yes, Rio the man we bought for £18m and sold a year later for £30.72m, making a profit of £12.72m.

Amazingly Ridsdale was in charge then and didn't balls it up, a good bit of business and one he hasn't been able to repeat.

When the doors finally close at Cardiff City, I'm sure Ridsdale will be far away...

Ah, yes, Rio the man we bought for £18m and sold a year later for £30.72m, making a profit of £12.72m.

Amazingly Ridsdale was in charge then and didn't balls it up, a good bit of business and one he hasn't been able to repeat.

When the doors finally close at Cardiff City, I'm sure Ridsdale will be far away...

Thanks in advance for the new stadium.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom
Thanks in advance for the new stadium.

You appear to have some problems with English grammar. I stated "close at Cardiff City" not close at Ninian Park. If you did understand basic English grammar, you would have known that the statement was about the closure of the club not the ground. :o

Grammer ? :blink:

What i have highlighted in bold is what my statement is aimed in response to i.e smart business tycoon,Peter Risdale,annihilated your daft wee club to benifit of one far more worth while.

Having to explain this to someone of far greater intelligance is outrageous.<_<

Edited by BluebirdTon