What Is The Best Anthem

What's the best national anthem?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They should be forced to sing 'Greensleeves' instead of that mingin' royalist pish that's inflicted on all the British :lol:  :lol:

German national anthem, cos, a bit like Ruggy's mind-jogger, I expect it to break into the theme tune for Radio 4's 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue!'  :D

Are there words to Greensleeves? And it wasn't composed by Henry VIII either. Seriously though, why England don't adopt Jerusalem as their anthem is beyond me, that's a beautiful piece of music.

Guest Guinness_Alan
Seriously though, why England don't adopt Jerusalem as their anthem is beyond me, that's a beautiful piece of music.

I've wondered that as well. At least it's a song about England. The fact that they use the British anthem to represent England is just one more thing which annoys the rest of Britain. It's another example of England and Britain meaning the same thing to a lot of people (I know it's not everyone but a lot of the English don't seem to know when to say Britain and when to say England).

Rant over. :ph34r:

Seriously though, why England don't adopt Jerusalem as their anthem is beyond me, that's a beautiful piece of music.

I'm not sure that we (until recently) have even thought about a specifically English anthem. The attitude of the footballing authorities has been that we are 'representing' the UK at all times and so GSTQ is appropriate.

Jerusalem is indeed a smart piece of music but its explicit Christian overtones (it was, after all, written as a hymn) will preclude it from ever being considered as an official anthem.

The obvious and appropriate anthem for England would be "Vindaloo", just perfect for their braindead thugs to singalong to. :D

The obvious and appropriate anthem for England would be "Vindaloo", just perfect for their braindead thugs to singalong to. :D

The distinct lack of religious symbolism would be an advantage :P

Are there words to Greensleeves?  And it wasn't composed by Henry VIII either. 

Yes there are:

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,

To cast me off discourteously.

For I have loved you well and long,

Delighting in your company.

Chorus:

Greensleeves was all my joy

Greensleeves was my delight,

Greensleeves was my heart of gold,

And who but my lady greensleeves.

Your vows you've broken, like my heart,

Oh, why did you so enrapture me?

Now I remain in a world apart

But my heart remains in captivity.

chorus

I have been ready at your hand,

To grant whatever you would have,

I have both wagered life and land,

Your love and good-will for to have.

chorus

If you intend thus to disdain,

It does the more enrapture me,

And even so, I still remain

A lover in captivity.

chorus

My men were clothed all in green,

And they did ever wait on thee;

All this was gallant to be seen,

And yet thou wouldst not love me.

chorus

The couldst desire no earthly thing,

But still thou hadst it readily.

Thy music still to play and sing;

chorus

Well, I will pray to God on high,

That thou my constancy mayst see,

And that yet once before I die,

Thou wilt vouchsafe love to me.

chorus

Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu,

To God I pray to prosper thee,

For I am still thy lover true,

Come once again and love me.

chorus

And I never said it was composed by Henry VIII :rolleyes: - it's just that most authorities have it down as possibly being by him, but more likely by a local troubador from whom he nicked it and took the credit :smartass

Guest Pulchy Pilgrim

If I might possibly be allowed to make one very slight correction ....

The music of the Italian National Anthem is not by Verdi. The person who composed it was, in fact, Michele Novaro (1818-1885). The words were written in 1847 by one of Italy's most famous patriots, Goffredo Mameli (1827-1849), and it immediately became very popular with the revolutionary groups who were fighting for a united Italy. However, it was not officially adopted as the country's national anthem until 1946, after the fall of the monarchy and the creation of the Italian Republic.

Italian National Anthem (MIDI file)

Splendid stuff!

Like some of the other people who have posted here, I think the Romanian National Anthem is certainly one of the finer ones. This also has its origins in the revolutions which were sweeping across much of Europe at that time (1848), but it did not become the official national anthem of Romania until 1990, just after the overthrow of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. This same anthem is also used in the neighbouring Republic of Moldavia.

Romanian National Anthem (MIDI file)

If I might possibly be allowed to make one very slight correction ....

The music of the Italian National Anthem is not by Verdi. The person who composed it was, in fact, Michele Novaro (1818-1885). The words were written in 1847 by one of Italy's most famous patriots, Goffredo Mameli (1827-1849), and it immediately became very popular with the revolutionary groups who were fighting for a united Italy. However, it was not officially adopted as the country's national anthem until 1946, after the fall of the monarchy and the creation of the Italian Republic.

Italian National Anthem

Splendid stuff!

Like some of the other people who have posted here, I think the Romanian National Anthem is certainly one of the finer ones. This also has its origins in the revolutions which were sweeping across much of Europe at that time (1848), but it did not become the official national anthem of Romania until 1990, just after the overthrow of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. This same anthem is also used in the neighbouring Republic of Moldavia.

Romanian National Anthem

Impressive stuff, Mr Pilgrim. Are you a modern history research student??!! :lol::lol::lol:

More parochially, as for 'Flower of Scotland', I'd much rather we used Dick Gaughan's all encompassing 'Both sides the Tweed'. Pax Scotium. ;)

Yes there are:

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,

To cast me off discourteously.

For I have loved you well and long,

Delighting in your company.

Chorus:

Greensleeves was all my joy

Greensleeves was my delight,

Greensleeves was my heart of gold,

And who but my lady greensleeves.

Your vows you've broken, like my heart,

Oh, why did you so enrapture me?

Now I remain in a world apart

But my heart remains in captivity.

chorus

I have been ready at your hand,

To grant whatever you would have,

I have both wagered life and land,

Your love and good-will for to have.

chorus

If you intend thus to disdain,

It does the more enrapture me,

And even so, I still remain

A lover in captivity.

chorus

My men were clothed all in green,

And they did ever wait on thee;

All this was gallant to be seen,

chorus

The couldst desire no earthly thing,

But still thou hadst it readily.

Thy music still to play and sing;

chorus

Well, I will pray to God on high,

That thou my constancy mayst see,

And that yet once before I die,

Thou wilt vouchsafe love to me.

chorus

Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu,

To God I pray to prosper thee,

For I am still thy lover true,

Come once again and love me.

chorus

And I never said it was composed by Henry VIII :rolleyes: - it's just that most authorities have it down as possibly being by him, but more likely by a local troubador from whom he nicked it and took the credit :smartass

Cheers for that. I've learnt something today.

My bad wording, I didn't mean to imply that was what you said. It's just I get fed up with people saying it was composed by Henry VIII. A bit like when you are in the pub and people say "do you know the Pope played for Poland". He did not.

Guest Saint Geezer
It's excellent too (Italian one). They put so much passion into singing it.

agree i think it is the best by far.

Just ashame they couldnt give the same sort of passion in their games :D

Archived