Wayne Rooney

BerwickMad

In my opinion the star of the tournament so far. What a brilliant double tonight. I havent seen an English player light up a tournament for years. Berwick was jumping tonight to Rooney songs. Keep it up son!!!!!!

Guest Annfield Red

Rooney played well last night and just wonder if Everton got a decent bid would they hold onto him. Their chairman said even £50 million would not temp him <_<

I think not. ;)

Guest Ruggy Bairn
I am bricking it. Here is a bet I placed just before the England v Switzerland game :o

Excellent pieman, you can get all that money behind the bar at the fives. :D

Incredibly, he's down to 5/4 now! I take it they awarded him that own goal?

Good shout ;)

Excellent pieman, you can get all that money behind the bar at the fives. :D

Incredibly, he's down to 5/4 now! I take it they awarded him that own goal?

Good shout ;)

Yeah - he got that one so he's on four. ZZ is his nearest challenger at the moment on 3. Would think 5 will be enough to at least tie for first - 6 will definitely win it.

Looked at the odds before the game - Owen was 16/1 - Rooney at eighties seemed way out the ballpark considering who they were facing in the group stages.

Will be nice if it comes off, but I'm really not expecting it to ;)

Looked at the odds before the game - Owen was 16/1 - Rooney at eighties seemed way out the ballpark considering who they were facing in the group stages.

Good shout, Pieman. ;) I've got torn loyalties now - do I carry on supporting any team that plays England, or do I hope Rooney scores a hatful in the vain hope that you'll be subsidising my lager intake at the fives. :o:o

What to do, what to do???? :blink::blink::lol::lol:

Rooney played well, by the way. But I loved the Herald's rating in today's paper of one the players in particular. This is all it said:

'Substitutes: Phil Neville - wasn't on long enough to give away a penalty'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't believe Tudor graces the same pitch as Del Piero! Shockin!

If Portugal play Ricardo Carvalho and Jorge Andrade they'll be fine. Don't play Couto please Scolari!

i can't see the portuguese changing their defence now. two clean sheets with these two at the back so surely he won't be that daft.

now come on del piero tonight! this is your last chance!

Guest sons1872

Rooney has been one of the best players of the tournament. England would be lost without him. He will run riot against the Portuguese.

Somebody on the TV actually compared Rooney to Pele! :o

OK, so wee Shrek did take his goals well (and set up the first), but there is no way he can be mentioned in the same breath at the legendary man.

AT

Somebody on the TV actually compared Rooney to Pele! :o

OK, so wee Shrek did take his goals well (and set up the first), but there is no way he can be mentioned in the same breath at the legendary man.

AT

SGE's initial quote was something like '(in his opinion) no youngster has had an impact like Rooney on a major tournament since Pele in Sweden '58'. Still very arguable, but not quite the same as 'Rooney is the new Pele' . But of course the press will run with what they want to hear and before you know it... :(

Yeah - he got that one so he's on four. ZZ is his nearest challenger at the moment on 3. Would think 5 will be enough to at least tie for first - 6 will definitely win it.

Will be nice if it comes off, but I'm really not expecting it to ;)

are the bookies you got that bet on using the goal scoring chart from uefa or the press association. as uefa said his 2nd against the swiss was his goal but the press association said it was an og.

1. Wayne Rooney has been outstanding, but not so fantastic as to warrant an entire thread.

2. Del Piero is a tenth of the player he used to be. Time for Italy and Juventus to chuck him, I think.

3. Rooney is 18. That's why he was compared to Pele. I never saw Pele play. I don't know if he was as good as people say. All you get now is selected highlights of his career.

4. Rooney's second against Switzerland was falsely put down as own goal by the PA. Uefa confirmed it as a goal for him. If you remember, Paul McStay scored virtually the same goal in Euro 92 against the then CIS.

No! :P

He got called up for national service with Italy a few weeks before tournament started.

:P

i'm old i can't be expected to remember everything!

he played for the army team didn't he? i remeber watching that on gazetta. i miss that programme. james richardson and his enormous cakes and bowls of ice cream :lol:

Gazetta was excellent Saturday morning entertainment! How I envied James Richardson sitting in those sun-kissed cafes!

Used to love the Italian game on the Sunday afternoon too!

Bring Italian football back to Channel 4 I say!

:thumsup2:thumsup2

Even just a highlights package at a sensible time would be good. Where is James Richardson now anyway?

He does exactly the same thing (i.e sits around on street cafes with cakes and coffee he never touches) on Eurosport, who now have the rights to the Italian Football, after C4 sacrificed it to get the new series of Friends, or something.

Archived