Glasgow Area 5's

Kylesons

Well, that I did not expect. For the first five minutes, it seemed really even and had the makings of a superb game of Fives. Then out of no where, we conceded four goals in a minute. After that, we never really recovered. We needed much more graft. Graft graft graft. :lol:

I don't know what David W is talking about, Cannon was tracking back just as much as he was and was making some good challenges to boot. Granted I should have been tracking back much more, but my fitness is still quite poor.

I scored a few goals, but that was mainly due to me being a greedy b*****d and not passing. But apart from that, I wasn't very pleased with my performance.

I'd say the best player on our team was David. He held the ball up well in the middle, wasn't afraid to try and take someone on, and on the occasions he could find the space, got the shot away.

Overall, I thought the best player on the park was yon Clinton boy. He was superb. I was also really impressed with Scott's performance, he was scoring for fun. Perhaps it was his early goal that settled his nerves?

Thanks again to Calum for coming along, you put in a great shift as well mate. I don't know what you are on about with your "lack of fitness", you were one of the fittest guys there!

I don't know what David W is talking about, Cannon was tracking back just as much as he was and was making some good challenges to boot. Granted I should have been tracking back much more, but my fitness is still quite poor.

It wasn't me that said it!

This is in reference to an exchange between myself and Kevin is it not?

I had a moan at Kevin midway through and he remarked that he had ran twice the length of me. Rightly or wrongly :rolleyes: . An understandable retort perhaps. When folk are on your back and that. He didn't accuse other folk of effortlessness however. Simply explained that he was twice the grafter I am.

There will need to be a hearing.

This is in reference to an exchange between myself and Kevin is it not?

I had a moan at Kevin midway through and he remarked that he had ran twice the length of me. Rightly or wrongly :rolleyes: . An understandable retort perhaps. When folk are on your back and that. He didn't accuse other folk of effortlessness however. Simply explained that he was twice the grafter I am.

There will need to be a hearing.

Ahh right, I thought he said "twice as much as all of you". Cotton wool out of ears.

Enjoyed that. Bit one sided, but I've been on the wrong end of some proper canings at this, myself, so its swings and roundabouts.

Still made one or two daft wee errors, but on the whole I'm satisfied with the way I played. Bagged a few goals, too, which i'm not really known for. Think my early goal helped my overall performance. One of them summed it up; ball gets laid off to me at a nice enough pace, but whereas 9/10 times I'd have lashed it miles wide, over, or straight at the keeper (which I still did once or twice, come to think of it...) I just concentrated a bit more and sidefooted it home. As they say, that's the ticket, ha. ;)

Train back to helensburgh was cancelled and because it was a fault further up the line, I wasn't going to be able to go back to the burgh last night at any point, so I ended up having to stay round at a mates flat up in Partick. Was a wee adventure, but it all worked out nicely in the end.

My right shin is fucking killing me.

Roll on next monday. :)

Edited to add, if we're giving ourselves foreign footballer names, can I be Marek Hamsik? 8)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Not that I object or anything, but can I ask why there has been a sudded influx of calling ourselves as Serbian footballers from yesteryear?

:lol:

When I played 5's in first year at uni we used to do it with Scandanavia players of the Early 90's, so thought moving onto players from the mid/lates 90's originating from Easter European/Balkan type nations was the obvious continuation. It's more fun than bagsying being Ronaldo, Messi or Cannavaro etc.

And if you hadn't noticed, I've done a bloody good job of matching each person's charcteristics to those of their designated players! Years of watching VHS tapes of World Cup/ European Championships has finally paid off.

When I played 5's in first year at uni we used to do it with Scandanavia players of the Early 90's, so thought moving onto players from the mid/lates 90's originating from Easter European/Balkan type nations was the obvious continuation. It's more fun than bagsying being Ronaldo, Messi or Cannavaro etc.

And if you hadn't noticed, I've done a bloody good job of matching each person's charcteristics to those of their designated players! Years of watching VHS tapes of World Cup/ European Championships has finally paid off.

Good stuff! 8)

I hadn't noticed, as I haven't heard of a few of the players ( :( ), but I will need to watch some youtube videos of the lad you've likened me to, to see how accurate it is. ;)

Good stuff! 8)

I hadn't noticed, as I haven't heard of a few of the players ( :( ), but I will need to watch some youtube videos of the lad you've likened me to, to see how accurate it is. ;)

Your man scored for Yugoslavia to put them 3-2 up against Spain in the epic Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia match at Euro 2000. The ball got whipped in and he hurled himself at the ball, got his foot to it and steered it into the corner.

I was perhaps a little generous with thistle do nicely's suggestion as he got 4 goals for Romania at the 94 WC, though after last night's goal blitz, perhaps not.

I was perhaps a little generous with thistle do nicely's suggestion as he got 4 goals for Romania at the 94 WC, though after last night's goal blitz, perhaps not.

8)

Only obscure Eastern European footballer I can think of who I actually quite like is Pawel Golanski, simply because I always signed him on Football Manager. Good utility man.

Nikita Andreev, the Levadia striker, is another FM legend. Signed him for 75k as Zenit, he goes on to become a Russian international striker and worth about £6million; terrific replacement for Kerzhakov and Arshavin, who invariably wanted to get the f**k out of Russian football on my save games.