P&b Running Club

Was looking at Bellahouston the other week but decided against it. True story. Good luck this weekend with it, guys. And nice report, Bishy, and a cracking result. Will keep my eyes open for entry next year (date dependent).

Looks like you made the right decision re Bella - seems like it will be extremely windy on Sunday. If so then I will probably give it a miss as I don't want my last race of the year to be a shit one. Picked up my number from Achilles Heel this lunchtime though, just in case.

SS6 is always the first Sunday in November I think, although it may be 30 October next year - who knows. The places go on sale (and will sell out within minutes) at some point in February.

I like the sound of it, although it sounds more hard-core than the longest distance I've managed (Half M).

Do they shut the roads for it? I live near the parks and don't remember anything like that. How many runners are there?

No roads are closed at all - although there are only four moderately busy crossings. I was lucky in that I didn't need to stop once going round.

The field is around 300 - it was 315 this year I think in the end. This is the max they are allowed due to it being an open road race.

Well, Bishy isn't a bad weather forecaster based on today! Pretty horrid weather for the Bella 10k with wind and rain throughout, and a quick downpour in the last minute before I finished.

Annoyingly I still had sore legs after a hard hill session on Thursday, and combining that with the weather, a fast time seemed unlikely. So given all that, I was surprised and delighted to get a PB and a first sub-40 time, finishing with a chip time of 39:44. I forgot my watch though luckily had an old stopwatch in the car and ran it entirely by feel and km markers, so happy as well to get the pacing pretty much spot on. Had I done that run last week with good weather and fresh legs I think I'd have been close to getting under 39, so it's not a bad end to the year for me. It gives me some confidence that I'm still improving and if I can keep it going I should be capable of getting my times down further next year.

Did you run it, Bishy, and if so, how did you go?

Nice one Socks, congrats! Sounds pretty horrible for it. More to come, as you say.

Was at The Kelpies for the 5k on Saturday night. The course came up 260m short, which is really annoying when I posted 17:19 for the 4.74k I did! Would've been a PB by a fair bit, but happy with the effort. Finished 2nd too, which was nice!

Got myself a parkrun wristband with my barcode on it so that's motivated me to stick it out in the shit weather because I'm excited to try it out :)

Also got my first pair of new trainers for a while. New balance again, cush+ or something like that. Only tried them on the treadmill at the gym so far but very comfy. A lot of padding so good for my dodgy knees and high arch

Got myself a parkrun wristband with my barcode on it so that's motivated me to stick it out in the shit weather because I'm excited to try it out :)

Also got my first pair of new trainers for a while. New balance again, cush+ or something like that. Only tried them on the treadmill at the gym so far but very comfy. A lot of padding so good for my dodgy knees and high arch

Did the Vicky Parkrun on Saturday there. Never run in such awful conditions but there was still a good turnout. In parts, the puddles were so deep they came over my ankles. Doubt many people got a PB in those conditions.

Running is a mug's game, always give the plonkers a good soak when out in the motor, if there's a nearby puddle

^^^When your mum lets you drive it you mean.....

out today for a 5 miler ,haven't been out too much of late, bit of lack of motivation or something but want to get back out there , targetting the Larne HM in March so don't want to lose the progress I made during the summer. Pish weather right enough. :thumbsdown

Well, Bishy isn't a bad weather forecaster based on today! Pretty horrid weather for the Bella 10k with wind and rain throughout, and a quick downpour in the last minute before I finished.

Annoyingly I still had sore legs after a hard hill session on Thursday, and combining that with the weather, a fast time seemed unlikely. So given all that, I was surprised and delighted to get a PB and a first sub-40 time, finishing with a chip time of 39:44. I forgot my watch though luckily had an old stopwatch in the car and ran it entirely by feel and km markers, so happy as well to get the pacing pretty much spot on. Had I done that run last week with good weather and fresh legs I think I'd have been close to getting under 39, so it's not a bad end to the year for me. It gives me some confidence that I'm still improving and if I can keep it going I should be capable of getting my times down further next year.

Did you run it, Bishy, and if so, how did you go?

Well done on your pb.

Yeah I ran it in the end, against my better judgement. It is the worst weather I have ever raced in - heavy rain and strong wind gusts are not a good combination.

The straight going towards the exit of the park at 2km and 8km in particular was ridiculously windy - it was like running through treacle.

I got around in 37'56" in the end, finishing in 30th place. I will take that in those conditions, especially as I was not fully recovered from SS6. It was a course pb as well, as I was 37 secs quicker than last years disastrous run around there.

Pish weather right enough. :thumbsdown

I've actually quite enjoyed the weather for running in. Went out yesterday for a 6 miler and then another 7.5 miles tonight. Both in the pissing rain but with very little wind and an ideal temperature.

They were actually my first 2 efforts since the Chester Marathon 5 weeks ago but I felt really comfortable. I don't have any definite plans, perhaps the Wimslow half in April and Edinburgh at the end of May, but it's great just getting out and keeping the legs ticking over without having to worry about peaking for a race.

I've actually quite enjoyed the weather for running in. Went out yesterday for a 6 miler and then another 7.5 miles tonight. Both in the pissing rain but with very little wind and an ideal temperature.

They were actually my first 2 efforts since the Chester Marathon 5 weeks ago but I felt really comfortable. I don't have any definite plans, perhaps the Wimslow half in April and Edinburgh at the end of May, but it's great just getting out and keeping the legs ticking over without having to worry about peaking for a race.

It's blowing a gale where I am ,agreed don't mind the rain so much but hate running in the wind

I love running in heavy rain as well, as long as it isn't windy.

Well done on your pb.

Yeah I ran it in the end, against my better judgement. It is the worst weather I have ever raced in - heavy rain and strong wind gusts are not a good combination.

The straight going towards the exit of the park at 2km and 8km in particular was ridiculously windy - it was like running through treacle.

I got around in 37'56" in the end, finishing in 30th place. I will take that in those conditions, especially as I was not fully recovered from SS6. It was a course pb as well, as I was 37 secs quicker than last years disastrous run around there.

That's pretty good going in those conditions and after a long race last week. Worst weather I've ever had for a race as well, though I guess I was due a rainy one as every other this year has been dry. The wind was about the same as it was for my old PB in Musselburgh, but with rain as well it was pretty miserable on those straights.

I managed to spectacularly make an arse of myself heading back to the sports centre after - my sister came along and I saw her on the lower path while I was up near the start, so I jogged down the grass. It was soaking and inevitably I lost my footing, doing a massive bum slide most of the way down, also caking the white finisher's t-shirt in muck!

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to do the Marcothon this year - and I've now done the first 6 days.

I don't know if this is meant to happen, but I seem to be getting slower and slower. Presumably this is just down to the legs not getting a chance to recover, and at some point I will snap out of it.

Hard work, especially in this weather, but it is forcing me to get out there

Decided to do the Marcothon this year - and I've now done the first 6 days.

I don't know if this is meant to happen, but I seem to be getting slower and slower. Presumably this is just down to the legs not getting a chance to recover, and at some point I will snap out of it.

Hard work, especially in this weather, but it is forcing me to get out there

That's what I found last year. The first 2 or 3 days were at normal pace, then I saw a steady decline for the next 6 or 7 days before I thought "f**k this" and chucked it.

Good luck with it, but 31 daily runs with no more purpose than 'for fun' obviously wasn't for me.

That's exactly what I am finding - I hadn't run for a week and a half, and therefore expected my first run not to be overly fast. It got better the next couple of days, but has now regressed to worse that I started.

I'm going to see how it goes over the next week, and if still poor, I will chuck it (I'm signed up for the Turkey Trot 10k on Boxing Day in Ayr, and I don't want that to be a disaster.

I've set myself a small challenge , I've recorded all my runs this year on my map my run app and on the 1st of Dec realised I'd done 420 miles so far this year, so have set myself a target of hitting 500 by 31st of Dec , on 447 now but have been off all week so been a bit easier,

I am doing the Marcothon as well. It is bloody stupid really as December and January are supposed to be my easier months for training. Done the first six days easily enough and will be in the gym tonight to knock off day seven. Have pretty much decided to give the spin up for the month and just do running and core work so I get some sort of rest lol.