England To Win Award

The tabloids have been unbelievable, i agree. They are always like this, in any country because they know how to sell papers. The way to deal with them is for people to send complaints to the PCC and let them deal with it. And believe me, if there were enough complaints, then then they would. I usually read The Sun or the Daily Record, but i know that im not going to get the news from them, im reading for entertainment basically. Looking through The Sun today there isnt actually very much i agree with either, but people still buy it to be entertained. Saying that, I would have prefered to read a paper with the latest transfer news involving Newcastle, than a stupid little story about the team training on the beach and a picture of Craig Bellamy holding his balls in the sea.

I agree that teams should be maybees banned if their "fans" cause trouble around the grounds and in the city where a game is played. But it would depend on many things and how serious it actually was. Banning a team mid tournament would be stupid because it would only cause more problems. You have to be carefull though because banning teams for minor trouble wouldnt work. If this was to happen England, Germany, Holland and Spain would be banned from the next World Cup as all these teams had a significant number of their nationals deported. It was about half English, and the rest made up of other nations. At this tournament though, the idiots who caused trouble in Albufeira wernt football fans, just scum off the streets of England using the championships as a good place to be a c**t. I was there the first night and saw what was happening so i know.

If there was repeats of trouble like in France 1998 and Euro 2000, then i would have to agree that both England, Germany and Holland should be heavilly punished, but banning, im not too sure.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this tournament though, the idiots who caused trouble in Albufeira wernt football fans, just scum off the streets of England using the championships as a good place to be a c**t. I was there the first night and saw what was happening so i know.

So was i and yes it was England supporters involved,scumbags.

Deserve an award foc.gif

So your telling us that it was the scummy press that reacted to the disallowed goal.

So no english players said anything about it and never critisised the ref.Sorry but quite a few english players have been greetin about the goal that never was,right from the final whistle before the sun could drum up any anti swiss material for their front page.Do you think it is ok for international footballers to call into question the motives and alliegence if a referee.

And is the England football team responsible for the actions of some of their fans?

Blame table

The nutters who e-mailed threats

The Sun for inciting them to do so

The FA for (apparently) not censuring parts of the Media (although strictly speaking incitement is a criminal matter so should be dealt with through the courts)

The England football squad

Of course not. But by banning England from a tournament, you are punishing the fans.

Also, I'm sure the Gremans aren't looking forward to the English coming over and all this business with the ref is ridiculous. Maybe banning them will teach them ALL a lesson.

Can you name me the England player who should be receiving a ban? Nobody has came out and been overly critical of the referee on the playing staff. Or should it be Sven, who hasnt even critisised the referee.

I can, yes.

Sol Campbell.

He went on a live Sunday morning TV show and publicly condemned the referee live on air. He was as much calling him a 'cheat' for not allowing THAT goal.

So yes, if anyone deserves to be banned, it's him. Not that I think they should be, but that was in response to your post.

Actually, I think banning the England team from the next World Cup is a possibility, albeit totally infeasible. The English, be it the players, the fans, or the media, time after time bring the game into disrepute, and nothing gets done. Maybe Bluetooner is right, maybe thats the kick in the arse certain sections of the English bandwagon really needs.

Aye, it'll hurt the genuine players. Aye, it'll hurt the genuine fans. Aye, it'll hurt the genuine journalists (if there is such a thing), but the backlash would be felt Nationwide.

As I said, it would probably be totally infeasible, but would be highly interesting.

Guest erik
David Davis has said today that English football fans could recieve an award from UEFA for their brilliant support in Portugal this summer. Well deserved I feel. The English outnumbered all other nations during the championships and behaved brilliantly. The games in which England were involved produced proberbly the games with the best atmosphere in the tournament. :)

I hope your taking the piss!

As StewartyMac has in his sig When the Ball's in the net and the English are bet thats Ricardooo

Of course not. But by banning England from a tournament, you are punishing the fans.

Also, I'm sure the Gremans aren't looking forward to the English coming over and all this business with the ref is ridiculous. Maybe banning them will teach them ALL a lesson.

Surely the German's shouldn't be holding a tournament. After all, it was 2 or 3 of their fans who kicked a Belgian policeman to death during Euro 2000.

Surely the German's shouldn't be holding a tournament. After all, it was 2 or 3 of their fans who kicked a Belgian policeman to death during Euro 2000.

That's obviously inexusable but do the Germans riot and cause trouble at EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT within a certain distance?

That's obviously inexusable

Yup

but do the Germans riot and cause trouble at EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT within a certain distance?

so the policemans death was just an accident - they dont kill people all the time

Can you categorically state that no German or Dutch (or any non-English) fans have been involved in trouble at major tournaments over the past 20 years? Do you try and find out?

I just said that was inexusable and you tried to say I was exusing it as an accident.

No, I cannot state that. But I presume that German or Dutch fans don't have riots and running battles with police at vittually every tournamet they can get to because I have never heard anything about it.

Nobody is suggesting that England be chucked out on the back of a handful of thugs smashing up a pub in Portugal, it's the constant riots in tournament after tournament which needs stamped out.

I just said that was inexusable and you tried to say I was exusing it as an accident.

That came out wrong. No criticism or offence intended. What I wanted to say was that if any football-related incident were to be punished, surely that would have to be one.

No, I cannot state that. But I presume that German or Dutch fans don't have riots and running battles with police at vittually every tournamet they can get to because I have never heard anything about it.

Nobody is suggesting that England be chucked out on the back of a handful of thugs smashing up a pub in Portugal, it's the constant riots in tournament after tournament which needs stamped out.

It's perfectly obvious that England would head the league table in trouble-makers abroad. The point that I am making is that who knows who is second or third or how 'far behind' they are. It was only on this thread that I heard any confirmation of other nationalities being deported. On this side of the channel, journos North and South don't seem to bother reporting it. If these things were reported, there would be a perspective: It could show that England are, in effect, the only bad boys in Europe (in which case, a ban may work) or that they are the leaders of a pack (in which case, banning all clubs above a violence 'threshold' may seriously devalue a competition)

It's perfectly obvious that England would head the league table in trouble-makers abroad. The point that I am making is that who knows who is second or third or how 'far behind' they are. It was only on this thread that I heard any confirmation of other nationalities being deported. On this side of the channel, journos North and South don't seem to bother reporting it. If these things were reported, there would be a perspective: It could show that England are, in effect, the only bad boys in Europe (in which case, a ban may work) or that they are the leaders of a pack (in which case, banning all clubs above a violence 'threshold' may seriously devalue a competition)

Fair enough. I think it is something that definately should be looked into by UEFA and FIFA.

If it was found that England were by far the worst offenders, I think a serious threat of a ban should be put in place for the World Cup in 06.

I think its all agreed that England do have alot of idiots that follow them. But the reason that a ban wouldnt work is because there are also alot of other countries who have idiots following them also. England are proberbly the worst, yes, but believe me, the Germans and Dutch arent to far behind, and the way the Turkish fans treat other fans and players is a disgrace. If your going to set up a system where you are going to ban countries from tournaments, from now on, then i dont think you can bring history into it. It would have to start from now on. The only trouble around where matches were being played in this tournament were Dutch and Germans fighting before their game, and some Spanish idiots wrecking things on the opening day of the tournament. Away from the grounds, it was the English. It would impossible to know where the limit for a ban would lie. Then, if say UEFA banned England from the World Cup for 50 fans being deported for being involved in a riot, would this mean that it is seen more important than constant racial abuse by the Croats, Turks hitting other players with missiles in the ground or Germans and Dutch fighting with each other.

In my opinion, bans are not the answer.

And for the person who presumes that Germans dont riot. Well they do. They rioted in Hamburg the night they got knocked out the tournament. They also rioted in France 98 and Euro 2000. Just as bad as what has happened in Albufeira. Your proberbly right, they dont as much as the English, but they still do it.

We are obviously going to hear more about the English trouble makers here in Britain, because it is relevant to us. I bet in Germany they here about their troublemakers more than ours.

Despite all this, i think the award is going to the fans of England, and not the idiots who rioted 300miles away from where they played their games. These are not fans

No, it might never happen. But im not lying about what David Davis said. I have no reason to, and i suspect many other people seen it as it was on every hour for the whole afternoon.

So what Mr Davis was saying is that he is happy with the support the fans gave. That is fair enough but to say they are getting a reward may be a little too much. It is probably to cover up the inadequaces of the England performances.

Archived