Right, Let's Nail This Thing...

Ric

I have to say, I thought the eBC was not too bad tonight. I was only watching casually but I did catch anything that really made my blood boil. Worst commentator for me has been Peter Druery. He is vermin.

The BBC were good tonight, any references towards England throwing away a good chance to win the tournament were only made whilst referring to Italy, France, Spain etc as well.

I have to fall on my sword here and say, although there were a few unsolicited references to the "mother land", Motty and co were pretty well behaved. I will happily forgo the mention of 1966 (even though it was losely in relation to Eusabio) and the "the Bolton captain is coming on the pitch".

I'm not sure if someone had told Motty that people would be listening from outwith St. George's great land or if he genuinely didn't mention Eng-er-land due to them having nothing to do with it, but the BBC coverage (granted through a rather muffled bar speaker) was pretty even handed. Even if there was a 20 minute Eulogy to England's missed chances before the game and Ian Wright tried his best to complain about the Ricardo/Terry/Campbell goal, from 2 games before, at the end .

BerickMad, you can come out of hiding now, mate, as regarding this thread (or at least in my opinion) the commentators did a pretty good job at being non-partizan.

How anyone else feels about it I am unsure, but that's how I saw it (granted through beer goggles).

Im pretty embarased by the way Motson and his fellow idiots go on too, its not only Scots who hate him, but I just dont see the point of people going on about it all the time or even trying to prove it happens or it doesnt. In my opinion, as long as the media is baced in London, the cockney arrogance is always gonna come out.

Now that we're all singing from the Motson's a tube hymn sheet, don't you just hate the way he pronounces every name that ends in an 's' as 'shhh'? Like Baroshhh and Gomeshhh. Really gets on my tits!

I loved the Portugal v someone (probably Holland) game. The commentator (I think it was motty, not overly sure) got totally and utter confused. He had Rui Cosssshta, Manissssshche, Nuno Gomessssshhhh, and a few other. He got completely fux0red and started adding sshhhhh to *everything* and was soon saying, this may go to penaltiesssssshhhhh, and ssshshhhhhtadium.

Valiantly he kept on until the end of the game. You would have thought that he had realised the corner he had painted himself into and just admit it.

Right, so I asked BBC Scotland whether they had the chance to send a team over to Euro 2004 and got this reply

Dear Mr SeD

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Euro 2004 football competition.

The competition was covered on a UK basis there was no input from any of

the other Nations or regions in Britain.  As will be the coverage of the

Olympics 2004 in Athens.

There is no general policy, coverage is decided on the most practical and

cost efficient method.  The BBC is aware of its obligations towards their

viewers and listeners and seeks to balance National interests with

appropriate coverage, keeping in mind that we are funded by the licence fee

payer and their requirement for value for money.

I hope this helps answer your enquiry.  Thank you again for contacting us.

Regards

Tina Kekewich

BBC SCOTLAND

Bullsh1t BBC. SORRY ebc

I pay the same license fee as anyone in England yet I get treated to biased english partizanism in my living room.

Archived