Club V Country

Where does everyone stand on this issue, in particular with regards to the upcoming Olympic Games?

For me I think it is crap that clubs that pay these guys ten of thousands of pounds a week cannot get use of their players in August due to a tournament which should be for amateurs anyway.

Rangers were correct in a way to put Craig Moore up for sale. He is biting the hand that feeds him.

At least Urinal have lost the fake Ronaldo for a month though :)

Where does everyone stand on this issue, in particular with regards to the upcoming Olympic Games?

For me I think it is crap that clubs that pay these guys ten of thousands of pounds a week cannot get use of their players in August due to a tournament which should be for amateurs anyway.

Rangers were correct in a way to put Craig Moore up for sale. He is biting the hand that feeds him.

At least Urinal have lost the fake Ronaldo for a month though :)

I was just going to make a post on this - what a load of b0llocks. It's fair enough that players are allowed time off to play in proper internationals, be it the Euro's, the Copa America or the African Nations Cup but the feckin' Olympics? That's shocking, it's about as prestigious as the Inverness Cup.

I thought the Olympics was for amateurs anyway? How can Cristiano Ronaldo on twnety odd grand a week be an amateur? They don't let pro boxers box in teh Olympics.

The trouble will start when one of these superstars damage ligaments and are out for up to 2 years or possibly ending their careers............... I agree about the fact fully paid proffesionals shouldnt be allowed to play. Id make it under 18s or something to give these players the chance to play in a major setting for the future, and let the proffessional players do what they are paid for.

Country first, club second.

Look at cricket and rugby to name a few, the club continues without the player, while on international duty. It's considered a honour to be chosen to represent your country, so why is football so different.

But lets forget the Great British side issues, that could be another thread on its own. If we did send a side, would views differ? I think they would.

If say Britain sent a team and France did not. How do you think the French clubs would react about British players leaving their clubs to play in the olympics, in much the same way as the Scots clubs are now.

Rangers brought Craig Moore and should have realised that occasionally international commitments would take him awy from the club. If they were that worried about this, why did they sign him on in the first place?

Anyway the Olympics are better than Euro and World Cup Finals, at least you can watch the beach volleyball between ties. :eek:

I'm with GalaKev on this one - country should come first and those wanting overseas players would have to think more carefully.

In this particular case, I do think that the Olympic football is a 'lesser' prize than others but it doesn't change my mind. Is the Olympics not for under-23 teams?

On the amateur/professional question - pretty much all sports started off as amateur but many have gone professional - Association Football being one of the first . ;) AFAIA, it is up to the ruling body of each sport in the Olympics to decide - tennis, basketball, football: these have all had professionals playing in the past few games

the best football game i have ever watched was the nigeria v brazil semi final of the atlanta 96 olympics. why dont they just start the season a few weeks later in olympic years? would give the players a bigger rest after the euro finals as well

why dont they just start the season a few weeks later in olympic years? would give the players a bigger rest after the euro finals as well

I for one would not want a delay for a competetition where we don't play in.

Where does it stop, a break for the Asian Cup, African Nations Cup or that Confederations cup. As in my above post, its okay signing British players, but if you want to sign foreign internationals, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I think it's a joke how Rangers have treated Moore. If Rangers have an African player, can we assume he'll be treated in a similar fashion when he wants to play in the African nations <_<

Look at cricket and rugby to name a few, the club continues without the player, while on international duty. It's considered a honour to be chosen to represent your country, so why is football so different.

I tend to agree with the majority of you comments (especially the beach volleyball ;) ) but not the cricket/rugby issue. The cricketers are centrally contracted and the countries know early in the year that the country has first option on them, so they can get in cover. As for rugby, well just look at how many Scotland and England players pulled out of their countries tours to the Southern Hemisphere earlier in the summer. That told its own story.

Like it or not football is more than a sport these days, its a commercial enterprise, hell bent on bringing in more and more money to be competitive on the bigger stage, Europe. The top players in my opinion nowadays do not have the same committment to their country as they used to have for fear of injury and their subsequent sale by their clubs.

In my opinion, sadly, the days of international fixtures may be coming to an end within the next ten years, due to the money and influence the clubs now have. :(

Fair point bairnagain. Especially regarding the Rugby.

But all it needs is a FIFA directive, that any players signed after x date. The country has first choice. Not hard to do, and any person signed after this date, would know what to expected (and clubs).

I also do not agree with you about internationals becoming redundant. A good run by an international team, improves the game as a whole at home. Any nation worth its salt, would keep their national teams

It is just my opinion that the clubs hold all the aces at the moment due to the money the players are being paid. I sincerely hope that international football does continue. But no player will jeapordise a lucartive salary and lifestyle if their club manager puts pressure on them not to repreaent their country. The Craig Moore case will prove this in the long run.

No other business would put their employees at risk in this manner, so why is football different. Moreso because of the money these guys are on.

ONe note about cricket, most test nations pay their players and many players are contracted to the nation aswell as their county.

The olmpic football seems a bit of a joke. Maybe if it wasnt in the same summer as the european championship or if it was during the off season. Any other time country definitly comes first.

Archived