Darts...

Sideshow

Looking back at the stats, Smith was certainly a solid player between 1998-2003. Regularly averaging into the 90s, and competing with strong players.

Lost a Quarter Final at the 2003 Worlds to Phil Taylor with a 95 average. I'm sure I watched that game. Finished 5-3 to Taylor.

Phil Taylor sponsored Dennis this year on the Tour. (As he has done in the past).

Taylor: “I’ve sponsored Dennis because I love him to bits, and I think he is a great lad, a great player and a lovely person, and I hope he does really well. He’s taken his time and he’s had to build himself back up again, and he’s doing it, he’s qualifying for the majors now and he is giving people a good game, so he shouldn’t be so hard on himself because it’s still early doors. I will keep backing him, and maybe we should practice together a little bit more, but he is one of my best friends on the circuit, a proper friend. When I play him he is still my friend, but I try and beat him 9-0 like he would me, or at least I hope he would. He needs to keep what he’s doing and get more and more confidence back, and that is all he has to do. I wouldn’t back him if I didn’t think he could do it, although it may take another 12 months or so, but if he keeps going and works hard then he will be alright.”