Rugby Union

kiwififer

Laidlaw has been a great servant and has a lot of experience.  His kicking is also one of the best in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, as you guys are pointing out, he can be too slow in getting the ball out the breakdown which allows the defending team time to organise.  This is the cause of the white line fever.  We appear to be recovering from this (famous last words) but still work to be done.  Changing to a quicker scrum half MAY achieve this.

Laidlaw has been a great servant and has a lot of experience.  His kicking is also one of the best in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, as you guys are pointing out, he can be too slow in getting the ball out the breakdown which allows the defending team time to organise.  This is the cause of the white line fever.  We appear to be recovering from this (famous last words) but still work to be done.  Changing to a quicker scrum half MAY achieve this.

I think Pyrgos may be the guy when he is fit again - sharper round the breakdown, and his game management is vastly improved.

I don't think Laidlaw is necessarily that slow at the breakdown - when the clearout is good, he gets it out pretty quick. The issue for me is that he makes average ball into slow ball, whereas the great 9s can make that decision a lot quicker.

I think Pyrgos may be the guy when he is fit again - sharper round the breakdown, and his game management is vastly improved.

I don't think Laidlaw is necessarily that slow at the breakdown - when the clearout is good, he gets it out pretty quick. The issue for me is that he makes average ball into slow ball, whereas the great 9s can make that decision a lot quicker.

Yeah I'd go with Pyrgos but some real good youngsters coming through like weir n Horne. Dunno why but we always seem to have loads of scrum half's every generation even the seasons when we've struggled in other positions

I'd relegate Laidlaw to the bench now. He is a good player, but I always think you should build towards World Cups every 4 years and Laidlaw being 34 at the next world cup, whereas Pyrgos is 30. If Russell and Pyrgos are at the same club that is plus too. 

I'd relegate Laidlaw to the bench now. He is a good player, but I always think you should build towards World Cups every 4 years and Laidlaw being 34 at the next world cup, whereas Pyrgos is 30. If Russell and Pyrgos are at the same club that is plus too. 

Don't think Russell will be playing for a while sadly.

Don't think Russell will be playing for a while sadly.

It's horrible for Russell but realistically we have decent ten options in Jackson and Horne (even weir as well) heath cote would be a viable 4th option, and looking at younger players hastings has been very impressive for the u20s. Saying all that stand off is very heavily reliant on decent service from 9. We should be a bit ruthless here....Laidlaw isn't gonna be sh for the next rwc and that's what we should be developing for now. It's pointless to have him playing until he retires 12 months out from rwc and we panic about trying to slot someone else in. Southern hemisphere teams by and large use the whole 4yr cycle for rwc development not the last year.

I know it's a bit meaningless, but Hoyland really is tiny for a winger. Back in the day, nobody would have said a thing, but he looks extremely lightweight.

He's a lot stronger than he looks. Has really developed with the 7s squad