Rugby Union

kiwififer

I always think I grasp the rules of rugby until I watch scrums.
Hiya George, hiya pal.

To be fair, I've always thought that the touch judges should do more at scrums. Even more so in the big games at this level when they are all experienced international refs. Have them look at one side, the ref at the other and communicating all the time with the headsets. Of course it would also help if some refs didn't decide which team were the better scrummagers before the match and just award penalties accordingly.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hiya George, hiya pal.

To be fair, I've always thought that the touch judges should do more at scrums. Even more so in the big games at this level when they are all experienced international refs. Have them look at one side, the ref at the other and communicating all the time with the headsets. Of course it would also help if some refs didn't decide which team were the better scrummagers before the match and just award penalties accordingly.

I don't like the TMO having too much involvement, but the high camera shots regularly show props binding or driving illegally. If the TMO is coming in for f**k all on a regular basis, they should be able to advise on illegal scrummaging, which is actually inherently dangerous.