Any One Been On A Cruise

pub car king

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought about a cruise but have never been on one, does seem expensive. Has anyone taken their weans with them? And would they recommend a cruise as a holiday for a family?

Not sure what age they are, but there is normally plenty to do for kids on cruises. I went when I was 16 on a family holiday and enjoyed myself, though I didn't join any of the kids clubs which I actually regret looking back on it since it looked like good fun. Pretty sure they run all the way from toddlers to about 18 years old, that was Royal Caribbean though so not sure how i varies cruise to cruise, I'd expect the facilities for kids would be even better on a Carnival or Disney cruise.

If it's a spending time with the family type of holiday then a Cruise isn't your best bet, most people I saw tended to dump their kids at these clubs (they normally had events that covered the whole day) and the adults went and did their own thing, apart from destination visit days of course.

The cruise can be excellent value for money if you make it, it's excellent being able to go to any cafe/restaurant and not have to worry about paying, a definite advantage when you have kids I'd expect. The only thing I'd stay away from is the cruise excursions at the destinations, normally ridiculous prices and if you're on a budget you're better off doing it by yourself.

I think it's something that is good to experience at least once, there is something fantastic about going to bed and waking up at a totally different port.

• 2 months later...

I'm spending nine out of the next twelve months on board a cruise ship, I can't say I'd appreciate jumping back on one for a holiday now.

Before, though, I did a Holland America and a Seabourn cruise, both in the Med, and both took in Monte Carlo - what a mental/amazing place. Now, though, I'm now more docile and spending a lot of time in Scandinavia and the Baltics.

However, I would seriously recommend a canal boat holiday. Great fun as its just jumping between pubs a lot of the time and the actual helming, engine movements and locks become second nature after a while.

• 6 months later...

Think Im gonna go for the Scandanavia and Russia Cruise. Leave from Copenhagen and take in Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallin and St Petersburg over 7 nights.

Cruise is with Royal Caribbean, anyone have any experience with them?

Are cruises still just full of old folk?

anyone done a fjord cruise? toying with booking up with the gf for next year. looking for a pretty luxurious ship.

Did the Norwegian Fjords on a Celebrity ship last May. Was okay but a lot of the places in Norway were closed on a Sunday and also on Ascension Day. Bergen was good. Much prefer Alaska though I think it is much better.

Went on one for the first time this year, having wondered for ages what it was like. Never again!

I can see how some people might like it 'tho.

The organisation was excellent, the food was very good, the staff were very good and the ship was spotless. Some poor wee Fillipino guys were constantly cleaning corridors, bannisters etc.

Downsides for me were, lack of time in port. There is not enough time to really explore anywhere, even the max. of eight hours is not enough. All around where the ship docks is full of shops, restaurants whose sole purpose is to fleece tourists and you don't really have the time to get far enough away from these places.

The onboard " entertainment " was hellish, gala night dinners which tbf you could choose not to attend, game shows, quizes, competitions etc, not to mention the Hi Dee Hi type compere c*nt who was forever bellowing over the tannoy.

I just spent the evenings in the pub and was glad when it was time to leave the boat.

I would never say to anyone don't do it but it is certainly not for everyone!

The obvious inference is that I avoided all the " hi dee hi " sh*te ;)

Good everybody is happy. I sat out the back drinking while she watched the shows. It was really bad when she got friendly with one of the dancers who insisted on bringing her pals to my table after the shows.

Good everybody is happy. I sat out the back drinking while she watched the shows. It was really bad when she got friendly with one of the dancers who insisted on bringing her pals to my table after the shows.

Just read this post Sarge. My condolences that sounds truly awful!

Worse than watching SBA V Forth at a dreich Hannah Park in November!

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a Caribbean cruise last year and it was pretty awful. The ship was smallish and there were swanky bars dotted around but no proper pub. The two stops were boring and the booze was hideously expensive. I couldn't wait to get off.

The only way I'd do another is a Med cruise which would allow me to visit a few European cities which is something over not done enough of. Even then the cruise would just be a means to get around them.

• 1 month later...

Archived