Moldova Game

The Poker King

Don't know if this should go here or not.

After all the scarmongering in the press about the trip to the "stalinist

outpost" I stumbled upon this on the Moldovan FA website:

Fearful Fans Facing Glasgow Gangster Terror Threat

Moldovan supporters were advised last night to 'think twice - and then think again' before travelling to Scotland for the crucial World Cup qualifier. Scotland is a country notorious for organised violence - the Battle of Bannockburn was fought there in 1314, closely followed by Culloden in 1746. More recently Scotland has declared wars on Germany, Japan, Argentina, Serbia and Iraq (twice). The Scottish supporters - who style themselves 'The Tartan Army' - prepare for their 'battles' by drinking huge amounts of beer and spirits, and putting on war paint. The President of Scotland is Sir Sean Connery, a former secret service assassin.

A nervous Moldovan FA spokesman said last night "The problem is that the match is being held in Glasgow, which is a semi-independent republic within Scotland. The city is run by a hard-line religious communist government known locally as The Taliban. There is little English spoken there. Glasgow has been home to razor gangs since the 1930s and has a reputation for football violence - there was a riot after a cup final as recently as 1981. Many of the local businesses such as tanning salons and taxi firms are operated by well-known gangsters. Drugs are rife and the city has a high murder rate. We urge our supporters not to travel for this game as we cannot guarantee their safety."

Pratrius Zinkoplaskis, a fan who has already booked his travel package to Scotland, was disappointed at the news. "I'm disappointed at the news", he said. "We have had no warning about this at all. I called the British Tourist Authority in London before I booked and they told me there would be no problems - we were told we would meet the Queen and eat strawberries and cream, and all the beer would be free. Now I have found out that it will cost £2.50 for a pint of Guinness and there are only kebabs to eat. Third world countries like this should not be allowed to enter FIFA competitions."

Last night the Moldovan FA was lodging an official protest with FIFA. The MFA is seeking to have the match switched to a neutral venue such as Azerbaijan. "We will play anywhere as long as it is safe" said a spokesman last night

Archived