Top 20 Players in the SPL / Premiership

Morton Weighorst

Clubs: Dundee, Celtic

Nationality: Danish (30 caps / 3 goals)

Position: Midfield

4540458_std.jpg

Morton Weighorst joined Dundee in 1992 and spent nearly 10 years in Scotland before returning to his native Denmark with Brondby in 2002. He was often described as an elegant player and made the game look simple with good vision and good passing. He played 90 games for the dark blues and scores 11 goals. Although it's a match highlight, he scored against Hearts in a 4-4 draw and always good for a look. You may have to turn the volume off as Chick Young is commentating though.

This game led to a League Cup final appearance, which Dundee lost to Aberdeen.

In 1995, he joined Celtic and made 86 appearances for the Hoops, scoring 10 goals. He was an ever present of the title winning side which prevented Rangers' Ten in a row under Wim Jansen. Unfortunately, he had injury problems and later developed Guillain-Barre' Syndrome - an illness related to the weakness of the limbs - which kept him out of the game for a year between 2000 - 2001. He returned tot he team but only played 3 league games thereafter.

Weighorst returned to Denmark with Brondby where he played the remainder of his career. He is now manager of AFG - a top flight team from Aarhus, Denmark's second city. Previously he was assistant to Michael Laudrup at Swansea so it will be interesting to see what he can do with the a side with a decent sized fanbase.

He won 30 caps for Denmark and was best remembered for his deliberate penalty miss against Iran. Have a look at the link below. An Iranian player picked the ball up in his box after mistaking a whistle in the crowd for the ref's signal for half time. The Danes actually lost the game 1-0 but Weighorst picked up an Olympic Committee Award for fair play.

That is Marc Rieper in the picture!

The video has no sound sadly, but it shows you his recovery from illness, he had to learn to walk again

He went on to win player of the year back in Denmark, wore a kilt to pick up his award. Top bloke

47fc26acbceb45ccb6ce51196976434e_2014053

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paulo Di Canio

Club: Celtic

Nationality: Italian

Position: Forward

Celt_1702398a.jpg

Paulo Di Canio only played one season at Celtic in the 1996 / 1997 season but certainly did enough for you to vote him in 13th position. Technically he never played int he SPL, but he is included as he did play top flight as per Paul McStay.

He started out at his boyhood heroes, Lazio and spent 5 years there. He then moved on to play for Juventus, Napoli and AC Milan. I do recall him playing for Napoli in the 1993/94 season and scoring against the unbeatable AC Milan side in a 1-0 win at the San Paulo. I know this is about the top flight in Scottish football, but for me this is how I will always remember him as a player despite his colourful life as a player both on and off the pitch. It also shows just how good a player he was.

He joined Celtic in 1996 from Milan for £650k and made 26 appearances for the Hoops, scoring 12 goals. Although he had a great relationship with the then Manager, Tommy Burns, Paulo Di Canio did have some issues in his season with the Hoops. Dressing bust ups with Andy Thom, clashes during Old Firm games and sending off came part of the package which would continue throughout his career in England.

Di Canion is ap layer we can discuss about for his volatile behaviour until the cows come home. However I woudl like to lok back on his time at Celtic for being a good player who linked up very well with Jorge Cadette. Have a look yourselves:

Although he played in the Italian u21 team, he never played at full level. He is perhaps a bit too high considering Paul McStay finished below him after all those years at Parkhead, but it's not up to me is it? The people have voted and Paulo Di Canio who finishes 13th in the poll.

Paul Lambert

Clubs: St Mirren, Motherwell, Celtic & Livingston

Nationality: Scottish

Position: Centre Midfield

92143-paul-lambert-now-in-charge-at-norw

Paul Lambert started his career at local club St Mirren and was there between 1986 and 1993 and made 256 appearances for the Buddies scoring 14 goals. During this time with the Paisley Saints, he won the Scottish Cup at the age just 17 as they beat a very strong Dundee Utd side in the 1987 cup final.

His performances soon caught the eye of bigger clubs and he won himself a £250k move to Motherwell in 1993. During his time with the Lanarkshire Giants, he made 103 appearances, scoring 6 goals. After a excellent performance against Borrussia Dortmund in the Uefa Cup, he was snapped up on a free transfer by the German Giants after his contract expired in 1996. Speaking of his trail at Dortmund prior to signing for them;

"I remember thinking: 'No. You're never going to do it.' There was unbelievable self-doubt, that I couldn't handle that company because when I saw the players ... He'd won Serie A, someone had won the World Cup, someone had won the European Championship, the Bundesliga titles ... and I'm coming from Motherwell on a free transfer. I was worth a bottle of Coke. Jesus!"

Lambert did secure a transfer to the German club and won the Champions League that season. He was also named man of the match. He made 44 appearances for Dortmund and scored one goal.

Wim Jansen signed him for Celtic for £2m the following season and he went on to become a prominent player for the Hoops wining the SPL and breaking Rangers' quest for 10 in a row in the 1997/1998 season. Although he didn't score many goals, Lambert was capable fo striking them for a distance including this below against Rangers.

Lambert was made club captain of Celtic and went on to win 4 league titles, three Scottish Cups and two League Cups. He was also part of the Celtic side that reached the Uefa Cup Final against Porto, when Celtic took 3m fans to Saville. Unfortunately for Lambert, he was on the losing side, and in 2010 was quoted:

"I still look for Celtic's result and Seville will always remain the biggest disappointment in my football career...'

Lambert played 40 times for the National team and scored once. He was part of the side that played in France 98.

Despite this impressive cv, he found advertising boards a challenge.

Was our youngest ever captain as well, iirc.

I do believe so. He was also part of the last side to win the Scottish Cup made up of entirely Scottish players; St Mirren.

His performances soon caught the eye of bigger clubs and he won himself a £250k move to Motherwell in 1993. During his time with the Lanarkshire Giants, he made 103 appearances, scoring 6 goals. After a excellent performance against Borrussia Dortmund in the Uefa Cup, he was snapped up on a free transfer by the German Giants after his contract expired in 1996. Speaking of his trail at Dortmund prior to signing for them;

"I remember thinking: 'No. You're never going to do it.' There was unbelievable self-doubt, that I couldn't handle that company because when I saw the players ... He'd won Serie A, someone had won the World Cup, someone had won the European Championship, the Bundesliga titles ... and I'm coming from Motherwell on a free transfer. I was worth a bottle of Coke. Jesus!"

Wim Jansen signed him for Celtic for £2 the following season and he went on to become a prominent player for the Hoops wining the SPL and breaking Rangers' quest for 10 in a row in the 1997/1998 season. Although he didn't score many goals, Lambert was capable fo striking them for a distance including this below against Rangers.

Lambert was made club captain of Celtic and went on to win 4 league titles, three Scottish Cups and two League Cups. He was also part of the Celtic side that reached the Uefa Cup Final against Porto, when Celtic took 3m fans to Saville. Unfortunately for Lambert, he was on the losing side, and in 2010 was quoted:

"I still look for Celtic's result and Seville will always remain the biggest disappointment in my football career...'

Worth a bottle of coke right enough. :P

Only 3 million fans? Counts a bit low. :P

Fantastic posts all the same mate.

Joint #12

Alexei Eremenko

Club: Killie

Nationality: Finnish

Position: Winger

_72585807_9330129.jpg

When Mixu Paatelainen arrived at Killie many thought that he would bring a particular brand of 'hoofball' that he used at Hibs and Killie would be in trouble. Instead he brought in his fellow countryman, Alexie Eremenko and a surprisingly and refreshing brand of passing football was came about instead. Eremenko was also rumoured to be on £20k per week at his Ukrainian side whilst on loan so it was quite a coup for the side.

After signing from Metalist Kharkiv in 2010 for a season long loan, Alexie Eremenko made an instant impact to a side scoring on his debut. He made 31 appearances for the Rugby Park side, scoring 4 goals. He was runner up for SPL player of the year that year too.

A very gifted passer of the ball, Eremenko may not be the slightest of players, but has good vision and is very good a long range shots. This also makes him deadly from free kicks.

He left Killie at the end of his loan to be signed by Russian club Rubin Kazan but the move didn't quite work out for him. He eventually returned to Killie last season and after a wee battle to get match fit (he didn't have a pre-season), soon found himself in the starting line up and making 25 appearances last term.

Eremenko has been a Finnish citizen since 2003 (he was born in Russia) and made his international debut against Canada that same year. He has 59 caps and 14 goals.

# 10

Eoin Jess

Club: Aberdeen

Nationality: Scottish

Position: Midfielder / Forward

A Portsoy lad, Eoin Jess went to the same school as your truly. However whilst young Addie decided to embark on a career in Human Resources, young Eoin perused a career in football. Good moves for both tbh.

Jess had a great first touch and was very good at creating space for himself. What really struck me about Jess was his ability to strike the ball; making him dangerous at free kicks.

Perhaps his most memorable game was against Dunfermline in a 4-1 win when he scored all 4 Aberdeen goals.

Whilst I joined the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, Jess went on to get 18 Scotland caps and scored twice in the dark blue jersey.

Although he built a reputation down South as a good youth coach, he has been out of work since 2012. Eoin is the highest rating Aberdeen player.

Frank Sauzee

Club: Hibs

Nationality: French

Position: Defence / Midfield

'The marriage of my team, Hibernian FC, and the French International, Franck Sauzee, was one made in footballing heaven. Franck helped to revitalise an ailing club, providing classy leadership of the type not seen since the days of the legendary Pat Stanton, who was dubbed by Manchester United manager Tommy Docherty as "better than Bobby Moore". Like his predecessor, "Le God" embodied the skill and spirit that Hibernian fans, known as the purists of the Scottish game, have always held in particular regard.'

Irvine Welsh

Frank Sauzee signed for Hibs in 1999 and was club captain until he retired from football in 2001. Loved by the fans he was nicknamed Le God for his skill on the ball and his ability to shoot from a distance making him a danger at set pieces.

Sauzee particularly enjoyed Derby games against Hearts. He scored in the millennium game at Tynecastle (see above video) and in the 3-1 win at Easter Road afterwards which understandable made him a cult hero with the Easter Rd faithful. He was not afraid of putting in a crunching tackle either and perhaps his strongest aspect in a green shirt, was his leadership skills.

He enjoyed a prestigious career prior to his arrival at Hibs; he was at Marseille and scored against Rangers in the Champions League and eventually won the trophy along with the league title in 1992. He moved to italy with Bergamo side,Atalanta and played Sweeper before returning to France and eventually, Hibs.

He won 39 caps for France and scored 9 goals.

He later on became manager of his beloved Hibs but departed after failing to win any league games. He now works as a football pundit in France.

Archived