Top 20 Players in the SPL / Premiership

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riordan at Number 20 is a fucking joke. At least should be higher than Anderson and Fysass.

:lol:

European Champion Fyssas should be top ten material.

The best left back of the SPL era.

Andy Robertson

Clubs: Celtic (youth), Dundee Utd

Nationality: Scottish

Position: Left Back

image.jpg

Perhaps the most surprising entry given his lack of experience in the top flight, Andy Robertson has come in at 16th on the list. (I might add a LOT of Dundee Utd fans voted in this though :lol: )

He started at Celtic as a youth player and after a spell at Queens Park joined Dundee Utd in 2013. He made 36 appearances for the Arabs and scored three goals. Although he is the youngest players in this list, and his position may or may not raise a few eyebrows, you have to give credit to him; he joined Utd from a League Two side, made an instant impact in the first team, and became a Scotland Internationalist. To top off his season he signed for a EPL side for nearly £3m.

I'm not gonna lie - I have only seen him play a few times but against Motherwell but he looked a good player. He was very good at getting forward and moving into the overlap position and can strike the ball cleanly. One of the most annoying comments made about full backs is the 'great at going forward but no so great at defending' - this is on par with 'game of two halves' and 'every game is like a cup final for us' patter. However Andy Robertson looks equally comfortable doing both actually.

A very good crosser of the ball too. He's accurate and looks up. See for yourself.

Andy Robertson has 5 caps and recently scored against England in the x-1 result.

I'm going to be brave and put this on.

:lol:

European Champion Fyssas should be top ten material.

The best left back of the SPL era.

Ignore No 16 for your own sake then. :lol:

Russell Latapy

Clubs: Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Falkirk

Nationality: Trinidad and Tobago

Position: Centre Midfield

russell_latapy_571470.jpg

Russell Latapy joined Hibs in 1998 after a period in Portugal including FC Porto and their local rivals Boavista. He made 84 appearances for the club and scored 22 goals. He was known as 'The Little Magician' back home in Trinodad for his skills and close control with the ball and quickly settled into Alex McLeish's Hibs side. He was a well liked player among the fans and was also known for his party loving lifestyle. Alex McLeish even blamed him for losing the cup final in 2001 when they lost 3-0 to Celtic. He was sacked due to his night out with Dwight Yorke and was then snapped up by Dick Advocaat at Rangers.

Under Alex McLeish, Hibs had an outstanding record against Hearts and Latapy played a part in this. Here is a clip of Hibs beating their rivals with Latapy playing his part.

Russell didn't last long at Rangers due to his age (the were trying to build a younger team after Advocaat left and was replaced by former manager McLeish) and was told he is free to find another club in 2003. He made 23 appearances in a light blue jersey scoring 5 goals. A spell at Dundee Utd followed but it was when he linked up with his old team mate at Hibs, John Hughes was when he really settled at a Scottish club - Falkirk.

He made 167 appearances for The Bairns, scoring 24 goals. I was going to write about his skills and the odd goal he chipped in with, but I found this. See for yourselves!

Latapy finished his career with 81 caps and 29 goals for Trinidad and Tobago. T&T qualified for the World Cup in 2006 and Lapaty played in the qualifiers but only played a part in one game in Germany.

He is now assistant manager at Inverness CT under John Hughes.

Morton Weighorst

Clubs: Dundee, Celtic

Nationality: Danish (30 caps / 3 goals)

Position: Midfield

1036790_Morten%20Wieghorst%20playing%20i

Morton Weighorst joined Dundee in 1992 and spent nearly 10 years in Scotland before returning to his native Denmark with Brondby in 2002. He was often described as an elegant player and made the game look simple with good vision and good passing. He played 90 games for the dark blues and scores 11 goals. Although it's a match highlight, he scored against Hearts in a 4-4 draw and always good for a look. You may have to turn the volume off as Chick Young is commentating though.

This game led to a League Cup final appearance, which Dundee lost to Aberdeen.

In 1995, he joined Celtic and made 86 appearances for the Hoops, scoring 10 goals. He was an ever present of the title winning side which prevented Rangers' Ten in a row under Wim Jansen. Unfortunately, he had injury problems and later developed Guillain-Barre' Syndrome - an illness related to the weakness of the limbs - which kept him out of the game for a year between 2000 - 2001. He returned tot he team but only played 3 league games thereafter.

Weighorst returned to Denmark with Brondby where he played the remainder of his career. He is now manager of AFG - a top flight team from Aarhus, Denmark's second city. Previously he was assistant to Michael Laudrup at Swansea so it will be interesting to see what he can do with the a side with a decent sized fanbase.

He won 30 caps for Denmark and was best remembered for his deliberate penalty miss against Iran. Have a look at the link below. An Iranian player picked the ball up in his box after mistaking a whistle in the crowd for the ref's signal for half time. The Danes actually lost the game 1-0 but Weighorst picked up an Olympic Committee Award for fair play.

Russell Latapy

Clubs: Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Falkirk

Nationality: Trinidad and Tobago

Position: Centre Midfield

russell_latapy_571470.jpg

Russell Latapy joined Hibs in 1998 after a period in Portugal including FC Porto and their local rivals Boavista. He made 84 appearances for the club and scored 22 goals. He was known as 'The Little Magician' back home in Trinodad for his skills and close control with the ball and quickly settled into Alex McLeish's Hibs side. He was a well liked player among the fans and was also known for his party loving lifestyle. Alex McLeish even blamed him for losing the cup final in 2001 when they lost 3-0 to Celtic. He was sacked due to his night out with Dwight Yorke and was then snapped up by Dick Advocaat at Rangers.

Under Alex McLeish, Hibs had an outstanding record against Hearts and Latapy played a part in this. Here is a clip of Hibs beating their rivals with Latapy playing his part.

Russell didn't last long at Rangers due to his age (the were trying to build a younger team after Advocaat left and was replaced by former manager McLeish) and was told he is free to find another club in 2003. He made 23 appearances in a light blue jersey scoring 5 goals. A spell at Dundee Utd followed but it was when he linked up with his old team mate at Hibs, John Hughes was when he really settled at a Scottish club - Falkirk.

He made 167 appearances for The Bairns, scoring 24 goals. I was going to write about his skills and the odd goal he chipped in with, but I found this. See for yourselves!

Latapy finished his career with 81 caps and 29 goals for Trinidad and Tobago. T&T qualified for the World Cup in 2006 and Lapaty played in the qualifiers but only played a part in one game in Germany.

He is now assistant manager at Inverness CT under John Hughes.

Latapy's goal is still my favourite of all time.

Archived