P&b Running Club

That could have been simply that your laces were tied too tight, but a new pair of trainers is always a bonus :)

I try not to tie them too tight deliberately. The reason being I used to get really sore calfs/feet playing football with taping my shin guards on too tight not allowing the blood to circulate properly. My other trainers aren't really proper running shoes, more of an all round sports shoe.

I've just done the Glasgow Parkrun in about 21'40.

It was my first just since the Edinburgh Marathon and it was a struggle.

I know it's rather obvious but training for a marathon is totally different to running 5k's. I think I prefer longer runs though as 5ks hurt too much.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get sub 20 minutes if I focus on some speedwork for the next month or so. Then I'll start getting ready for the Glasgow Half.

My aims at the start of this year were -

Sub 4hr marathon - Done

Sub 1'45 Half.

Sub 45 10k.

Sub 20 5k.

What's everyone elses?

Did the Glasgow mens health 10k today - clocked a PB of 48:29! Over the moon - previous race PB was 50:20 so absolutely smashed it.

Cracking event and very well run, a reasonably flat course too. I'm already looking forward to challenging my time next year.

Special mention to Shakehands Tom as well as he ran a PB as well, a nice wee boost before his wedding 3 weeks today ;)

Kudos also to my old man - an absolute running fiend who ran a 41:52 PB, coming 4th in his category (over 50 male) overall out of thousands of runners. I've got some way to go to match up to him!

I've just done the Glasgow Parkrun in about 21'40.

It was my first just since the Edinburgh Marathon and it was a struggle.

I know it's rather obvious but training for a marathon is totally different to running 5k's. I think I prefer longer runs though as 5ks hurt too much.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get sub 20 minutes if I focus on some speedwork for the next month or so. Then I'll start getting ready for the Glasgow Half.

My aims at the start of this year were -

Sub 4hr marathon - Done

Sub 1'45 Half.

Sub 45 10k.

Sub 20 5k.

What's everyone elses?

Mine would be a sub 47 minute 10k, sub 22 minute 5k (may need to venture to the strathclyde parkrun for that, Pollok is a hilly bugger) and sub 1:45 at the Glasgow half marathon in September.

My aims for this year -

sub 80secs 400m Hurdles

Improve 3000m S/c - 13:18 down from 13:41.

sub 21min 5k (at 21:21)

sub 45min 10K (offical - 46:21, un-official 40:51)

sub 1hr45min Half-Marathon (1hour 39mins 49 secs - YES).

Also got a battle to get over 10m in the triple jump (9m36cm)

Well done on the PB dave. Im still out of action. That has been a week without running and it's killing me. Knee feels fine but going to rest it for another week and keep up the core exercises and stretches going. Did 45 minutes on the exercise bike and that was mind numbingly boring.

Did the Glasgow mens health 10k today - clocked a PB of 48:29! Over the moon - previous race PB was 50:20 so absolutely smashed it.

Cracking event and very well run, a

reasonably flat course too. I'm already looking forward to challenging my time next year.

Special mention to Shakehands Tom as well as he ran a PB as well, a nice wee boost before his wedding 3 weeks today ;)

Kudos also to my old man - an absolute running fiend who ran a 41:52 PB, coming 4th in his category (over 50 male) overall out of thousands of runners. I've got some way to go

to match up to him!

Cheers mate! Great time for you, smashing your previous PB in great style!

Yeah, really pleased with my time of 55:10 and gives me a great motivation to smash that next year!

Aye, we've got a lot of training to get in before we can keep up with your old man! :lol: Cracking time from him, he must be chuffed to bits too!

ITB Syndrome sufferers - I had this when I was training for the marathon last year. I now use a foam roller to self massage any time I feel it getting tight

Video here

I was told I could train on it as well as it was tight not damaged (although I was on the verge of tears anytime I was running on it) Cleared up in no time - and I now recognise when it starts to get tight

YB - £50 for a physio ouch!

ITB Syndrome sufferers - I had this when I was training for the marathon last year. I now use a foam roller to self massage any time I feel it getting tight

Video here

I was told I could train on it as well as it was tight not damaged (although I was on the verge of tears anytime I was running on it) Cleared up in no time - and I now recognise when it starts to get tight

YB - £50 for a physio ouch!

Cheers diamonds.

The phsyio was just to rule out any serious injury which thanfully she did. Going to try a foam roller in a week when Im off work. Using a tennis ball at the moment which seems to help. Going to try some neutral trainers again as as I had been running in new fitted stability trainers for a month and never felt comfortbale in them. I always seem off balance if you know what I mean.

Cheers diamonds.

The phsyio was just to rule out any serious injury which thanfully she did. Going to try a foam roller in a week when Im off work. Using a tennis ball at the moment which seems to help. Going to try some neutral trainers again as as I had been running in new fitted stability trainers for a month and never felt comfortbale in them. I always seem off balance if you know what I mean.

More the cost - I went a year ago and it was £30. Falkirk physios seem over priced

Tuesday training was on the track 2 x 1 lap hard, 1 lap easy, 2 laps hard, 1 lap easy & 1 lap hard. Did some jumps over the steeplecase barrier and strength work on the legs.

Thursday session was 8 x 300m with 2mins rest between efforts. Couldn't shift a stitch and did between 60-65 secs for each effort..

1 mile race on the track tomorrow.

Tuesday training was on the track 2 x 1 lap hard, 1 lap easy, 2 laps hard, 1 lap easy & 1 lap hard. Did some jumps over the steeplecase barrier and strength work on the legs.

Thursday session was 8 x 300m with 2mins rest between efforts. Couldn't shift a stitch and did between 60-65 secs for each effort..

1 mile race on the track tomorrow.

What level do you run at, Neefie Noodle?

Went out for the first proper run since I broke my big toe 4 weeks ago. Have played badminton twice this week and it gave me a bit of pain when I was pushing off on my foot but it didn't give me too much problem. I tested it by doing some sprints which included quick changes of direction and backwards sprints but it was ok. Going to head out tomorrow for a bit of a longer, less intensive run which will be the first for a while. I fear it isn;t going to be pretty.

I class myself as below average club runner.

I just do some local runs and run for my local club. I never finish first and I run against myself and the clock. I've been fortunate to run in a few big races. I've run in the same races as people trying to get qualifying times for the Olympics, European and Junior Champs (ok, it was at the Northern England and National Cross-country Champs, but they were there, so was I and a couple of thousand) and try not to get lapped. There is a few good athletes in the track league from Morpeth. Last year I tripple jump against the guy that was ranked 5th in the UK and against a guy from Gateshead who could have gave me 200m head start and still beat me in the 400 hurdles. I'm getting better though and getting PBs this year, so long it may continue.

Did a pyramid session on the track tonight. Half lap hard, Half lap easy, full lap hard, full lap easy, 1.5 laps hard, 1.5 laps easy, 2 laps hard, 2 laps easy, 1.5 laps hard, 1.5 laps easy, 1 lap hard, 1 lap easy, half lap hard, half lap easy. Really tough session. Needed the recovery inbetween sets.

Thursday session is 23 mins out and get back within 21 mins for the seniors. For the beginners/juniors it is 3/4 x 2k easy with 5 mins recovery between sets.

Got races on Sunday - 400m Hurdles, 3000m s/c, long and triple jump.

I was doing 7x400m hill sprints this morning - could sleep for a week now. Please with the first two and the last one (fastest as I gave it everything) but the middle 4 were all pish kept holding back knowing I had more to do. Tough session but could have gone harder.

• 2 weeks later...

PB'd in the 400m Hurdles with 79.8, PB'd in the 3000m S/C with 13:12.6 and PB'd in the Discus with 16.55m and had a nightmare in the Triple Jump with 9M dead, all on Sunday.

Did a hills session on Tuesday.

Debating on weather to do the Parkrun on Saturday.

Will hopefully be going to the Strathyclyde Parkrun on Sat. They have a pacer event on the first Sat of each month with folk wearing vests with a target time ranging from 21 mins to 32 mins. It's a great idea and a good way of getting a PB.

Am sitting at 30.58 as my PB so hoping to finally get under the 30 min mark in the next couple of Parkruns. Was out Tues and tonight and done a fairly hilly 5k course in 32 mins both times so hoping to at least beat my PB at a flat Strathy park.