Pregnancy And Parenting

When my mum had me she was in labour for 2 days. I hope, for my girlfriend's sake, that this one won't take after me :lol:

I started having mild contractions on the Wednesday afternoon, waters went on the Thursday morning and had him Friday lunchtime. I had no sleep from when I woke up on the Wednesday which was the hardest part.

Still no sign of anything here, not even a wee twinge down there.

Do I risk heading through to Kirkcaldy for the Fife derby today?!

I reckon even if anything did happen I would be back to Glasgow in plenty of time, by all account going into labour and giving birth isn't the quickest process!

Oh I couldn't agree more, nothing is more important to me right now than the birth of my child!

I very much doubt that anything is going to happen today though, no signs of labour, midwife on Wednesday said the neck of her womb was "away in Govan!" She's going to have a girls day away "doing lunch" as only women can do, so I might as well go to the game instead of sitting about the house all day!

My waters went on the Tuesday, no contractions though (albeit I was only at 31+ weeks). I was examined on the Thursday which started off my contractions around 5pm - Cal arrived at 11 02pm. I had gas and air then Diamorphine which was brilliant. Was also lucky enough not to have any stitches - not too bad an experience tbh.

My waters went on the Tuesday, no contractions though (albeit I was only at 31+ weeks). I was examined on the Thursday which started off my contractions around 5pm - Cal arrived at 11 02pm. I had gas and air then Diamorphine which was brilliant. Was also lucky enough not to have any stitches - not too bad an experience tbh.

Was he not about 6lb something...if you'd gone another 9 weeks he'd have been a 10lber!

Not sure I want an epidural this time if I can avoid it. I needed it last time as I was exhausted.

Was he not about 6lb something...if you'd gone another 9 weeks he'd have been a 10lber!

Not sure I want an epidural this time if I can avoid it. I needed it last time as I was exhausted.

Nearly - 5lb 5. He was definitely gonna be a monster.

Edited by Ayrgirl

Are they actual contractions, or 'just' braxton hicks? (I say 'just' because I know how painful they can be.) Fingers crossed something happens soon. :)

She's been having braxton hicks for a while, but she says these are a lot stronger and more painful, which makes her think they're contractions. We'll see, I suppose.

I'm moving my annual leave (have to take my years entitlement at start or I'll loose it) to start at the end of January rather than Mid February. The 4.30am alarm is leaving me exhausted and I got a fright last week. So hopefully as of Saturday I'll have three weeks left :) until the 29th Novenber.

Ah another great couple of days experiencing new parts of parenting!

Thomas wasn't 100% on Sunday. Not ill as such but listless and clingy and wanted to sleep all the time. He developed a cough and runny nose and then on Monday morning after getting up he wouldn't really move at all. He just wanted to cuddle into me and sleep. He also had barely touched food for 24 hours so when we started hearing a wheeze too we whipped him straight up to NHS24 as we were told to do if we ever heard him wheezing again after the last time he was ill.

Doctor diagnosed a fever (his temperature was almost 103F) and virus and gave him Calpol and Ibuprofen (which he's never had before) but wanted him checked out by Paediatrics (as they always seem to do so I knew we were in for a long day at least). Told us to take this cocktail of Calpol and Ibuprofen every four hours though.

Went to Paediatrics, were eventually seen by a Doctor though Thomas, who presumably remembers the last time he was in, screamed blue murder and got himself into hysterics every time anyone in a blue nurses uniform came near him which didn't help as all his readings were being corrupted. Repeated story, showed the Doctor the meds we'd been given downstairs and what we'd been told and he said that was fine to keep doing that. He was happy the virus was nothing serious and that the temperature was coming down so suggested we could go after his registrar checked him out again in about half an hour.

About an hour and a half later with no-one having looked at him again, four hours had passed so his mum gave him the medicine as instructed. We noted before doing so that his eye looked a little swollen but had no idea why that might have been.

Within about five minutes his lips puffed out and his face swelled up as he suffered an allergic reaction. That was a panic!

It was at this point that I became seriously unimpressed with the treatment we got. I'm no doctor but a blind man could see a 22 month old suffering an allergic reaction before your eyes. The response however was:

(i) to suggest to us that he might just have bitten his lip (er, no he didn't and even if he did he certainly hadn't bitten his own eye which was also swelling up).

(ii) to give us a row for both having medicines on the ward and administering them ourselves which is against policy apparently (er, well no-one told us it was against policy and the ward doctor had been shown the medicines and had told us to carry on with the advice to give it to him, albeit I expect he thought we'd be away before the next dose was due).

(iii) to inform us that Ibuprofen should only be given to children every eight hours (Right, ok, but the damned doctor downstairs told us to give it every four hours and the second doctor confirmed we should follow that advice when we told him what we'd already been told to do).

(iv) despite actually being on a hospital ward it was fully 25 minutes before a doctor came to see him! I could have picked him up and walked down three floors to A&E and been seen more quickly! :angry:

Not impressed.

Eventually, when they did look at him they decided it might be an allergic reaction (No shit Sherlock!) and administered some Piriton.

By late afternoon they had confirmed that the virus he originally came in about was nothing to worry about and he should just continue to take Calpol to keep his temperature down and he could go home provided the symptoms of the reaction went away.

By 7pm they had eased a lot but although his eyes now looked fine, and his top lip had reduced a bit, it had spread to his bottom lip and they weren't going to release him. So mum went home to collect some clothes, etc and get a bite to eat whilst I bathed him in the hospital. When she got back I went home about 9:30 and finally got something to eat for the first time in about two days.

He was fine this morning and they were happy to let him leave anytime after 10am as soon as he provided them with a suitable urine sample. He finally provided it at 4pm. <_< Meantime a different doctor on duty today said she thought it was highly likely he is in fact allergic to Ibuprofen (although yesterday's said that would be extremely unusual and was almost disbelieving about it) and not to give him it again. Well duh! <_<

It's been a long couple of days.

Meantime, all the best again die hard doonhamer and any other parents and prospective parents. See that comment a few pages ago about being the scariest thing ever. It was absolutely bang on the money. But it's still wonderful. :D

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Bloody hell, that sounds awful SD. Surprised you managed to keep your cool with that sort of treatment. Glad Thomas is on the mend now.

It's Charlie's first day back at Nursery today. I'm on a half day today so it will ease him back into it a bit. Not sure how he will act, as he normally loves going, but he has been off for around three weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

That's terrible SD, I'd seriously think about sending in a complaint.

I'm not sure what it would achieve to be honest. You have to presume you are going to need the help of these people again and they've been great in the past. I was barely keeping my temper at the time though and got in an argument with the wife who didn't want me to make a scene!

The first doctor at NHS24 wasn't local and had been parachuted in to cover holidays from somewhere. He was English by accent but I think had come down from Glasgow for the day. I never got his name (though we know the receptionist so could get it easily enough) but he seemed to be checking the symptoms on the internet so far as I could see which wasn't terribly competent looking. If you really aren't supposed to give Ibuprofen more often than every 8 hours in children then he certainly prescribed a dosage twice as often as that (though it was a small dose).

It would maybe stop them doing it to someone else. Really, you should complain because the 'service' you received was poor at best. I think it's important to let them know it's not acceptable. I complained about the length of time it took to get a doctor's appointment with the practice I was with at uni, and although it never actually improved in the time I was there, I felt better knowing that I'd made my feelings known to the health authority.