Pregnancy And Parenting

I never realised you got a choice in these things! :unsure:

You can elect for a c-section usually though it's sometimes not advised.

Anyway, another day of fun and games today which has seen three trips to the doctors. No sleep last night as neither boy settled for long and Thomas was basically up all night. Took him to the doctors this afternoon and he's also now got tonsilitis. They gave him penicillin for that and we were back up at the hospital four hours later having had a reaction to that too. He got a red weal under his eye that started to blister after just one dose. So he's allergic to penicillin too now! Has got a different medicine to take now for the tonsilitis plus some piriton to take if he shows any allergic reaction to anything else.

Meanwhile Steven was sick a couple of times today and has a barking cough so he was whipped up to the doctors to be checked out too but he has nothing serious, just a cold.

Long, long day and an unscheduled holiday from work. I hope to get back to work for a rest tomorrow.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I never realised you got a choice in these things! :unsure:

I don't think you do, normally. I had a lot of, er, problems after the boy and without going into too much detail, I've been advised by my consultant to have a section next time. I must admit, I was really rather gutted for a start. I know how utterly mental this sounds, but labour was 'good' for me. Until he turned his head at the last minute and got stuck... I was fully dilated within a few hours of my waters breaking and had had a textbook pregnancy and labour up until that point. It was a long long recovery process, so although I'm still a bit sad about not getting to experience labour again, I know that a section will be safer for me in the long run.

I don't think you do, normally. I had a lot of, er, problems after the boy and without going into too much detail, I've been advised by my consultant to have a section next time. I must admit, I was really rather gutted for a start. I know how utterly mental this sounds, but labour was 'good' for me. Until he turned his head at the last minute and got stuck... I was fully dilated within a few hours of my waters breaking and had had a textbook pregnancy and labour up until that point. It was a long long recovery process, so although I'm still a bit sad about not getting to experience labour again, I know that a section will be safer for me in the long run.

That's the be all and end all but I understand what you mean about being disappointed about not being able to labour again. I think i'd feel the same way even after a 3 day labour journey! I don't want an epidural this time as I don't remember much of Ruairidh's birth but at the time it was what I needed!

That's us at 27 weeks, scan and consultant a week on Monday. Bump has taken hug growth spurt last couple weeks.

Sorry for intruding! I thought it was just a matter of fact statement. Me bad.

Anyway, what would I know! :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, another day of fun and games today which has seen three trips to the doctors. No sleep last night as neither boy settled for long and Thomas was basically up all night. Took him to the doctors this afternoon and he's also now got tonsilitis. They gave him penicillin for that and we were back up at the hospital four hours later having had a reaction to that too. He got a red weal under his eye that started to blister after just one dose. So he's allergic to penicillin too now! Has got a different medicine to take now for the tonsilitis plus some piriton to take if he shows any allergic reaction to anything else.

Meanwhile Steven was sick a couple of times today and has a barking cough so he was whipped up to the doctors to be checked out too but he has nothing serious, just a cold.

Long, long day and an unscheduled holiday from work. I hope to get back to work for a rest tomorrow.

Goodness this is fun!

Woke up this morning in the early hours to a screaming child and another puffed out eyes and lips scenario so straight up to A&E and then the paediatrics ward again. Been there all day again.

Now decided he doesn't have tonsilitis at all and probably doesn't have an allergy to any of the things we thought he did either (though they will test for that once he's over this virus). Given that he's had the reaction three times now despite never having the same treatment twice it's thought to be part of the virus he's fighting rather than an allergic reaction. It also displays none of the other common signs of a reaction to medicines.

Wee man does appear to be overcoming the virus itself though and was a lot brighter this afternoon. Current advice is to treat it by doing nothing at all and let it run its course. What a week.

Goodness this is fun!

Woke up this morning in the early hours to a screaming child and another puffed out eyes and lips scenario so straight up to A&E and then the paediatrics ward again. Been there all day again.

Now decided he doesn't have tonsilitis at all and probably doesn't have an allergy to any of the things we thought he did either (though they will test for that once he's over this virus). Given that he's had the reaction three times now despite never having the same treatment twice it's thought to be part of the virus he's fighting rather than an allergic reaction. It also displays none of the other common signs of a reaction to medicines.

Wee man does appear to be overcoming the virus itself though and was a lot brighter this afternoon. Current advice is to treat it by doing nothing at all and let it run its course. What a week.

You've had a hellish time and must be very concerned. I hope everything turns out well and it appears encouraging that the virus is on the way out of his system. It's horrible feeling so helpless when your child is clearly suffering.

You're poor wee fellow SD, hope he perks up over the weekend.

We've got a top three girls names chosen but really aren't anywhere with boys names, we've got ones we'd settle for but nothing standing out :(

We've got a top three girls names chosen but really aren't anywhere with boys names, we've got ones we'd settle for but nothing standing out :(

We've got 2 of each picked out.

Still no sign, although we're still a week and a half from the due date, so could be a while yet.

We've got 2 of each picked out.

Still no sign, although we're still a week and a half from the due date, so could be a while yet.

shes hanging on to it. i half expected to be reading that she had it by now when i saw you post :o

SD you have my sympathies, its torture when theres something up with one of the kids. We went through hell with Tom when he was in the hospital for 6 weeks. 2 ops and a nightmare trip to yorkhill. Its amazing how quickly they recover though. Saying that weve found a wobbly tooth tonight and it was a crying match. hes only 5 :rolleyes:

Annas got too bottom teeth now and is almost crawling forward how quickly 6 months flies in :ph34r:

You've had a hellish time and must be very concerned. I hope everything turns out well and it appears encouraging that the virus is on the way out of his system. It's horrible feeling so helpless when your child is clearly suffering.

The consultant fairly confidently predicted today that we would see more blisters appear on his face over the course of the next day or two before the virus has run its course regardless of whether he's given anything for it or not.

And lo and behold we have another one under his other eye this evening, one on his forehead and two on the back of the neck. They don't seem to be bothering him too much though except he was scratching the ones on his neck a bit. He's had some more Piriton and gone to bed. We'll see what he's like in the morning. It seems they'll come and go as they wish for a while yet. So long as there's no effect on his breathing or anything we've not to worry.

On the bright side he was much more like himself tonight and playing away happily with his toys and with us, complete opposite of the listless sorry for himself character we've had since Monday so that's a good sign that he's on the mend I'd say.

We had a girls name absolutely settled miles ahead of both births. No arguments at all (same forename both times though the middle name had changed). Never got to use it though. We hadn't agreed on a boys name on either occasion until they actually appeared and even then Thomas had another name for half an hour and Steven was a kind of grudging "ok, if you like" from the wife who I don't think is fully convinced by it yet.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The consultant fairly confidently predicted today that we would see more blisters appear on his face over the course of the next day or two before the virus has run its course regardless of whether he's given anything for it or not.

And lo and behold we have another one under his other eye this evening, one on his forehead and two on the back of the neck. They don't seem to be bothering him too much though except he was scratching the ones on his neck a bit. He's had some more Piriton and gone to bed. We'll see what he's like in the morning. It seems they'll come and go as they wish for a while yet. So long as there's no effect on his breathing or anything we've not to worry.

On the bright side he was much more like himself tonight and playing away happily with his toys and with us, complete opposite of the listless sorry for himself character we've had since Monday so that's a good sign that he's on the mend I'd say.

We had a girls name absolutely settled miles ahead of both births. No arguments at all (same forename both times though the middle name had changed). Never got to use it though. We hadn't agreed on a boys name on either occasion until they actually appeared and even then Thomas had another name for half an hour and Steven was a kind of grudging "ok, if you like" from the wife who I don't think is fully convinced by it yet.

We know what we're having but are still going over both genders just in case. Ruairidh was picked out at the beginning last time, we went round the houses but always came back to it. Our girls name has changed as what I liked last time has become really popular over the last couple of years so it's now out.

We know what we're having but are still going over both genders just in case. Ruairidh was picked out at the beginning last time, we went round the houses but always came back to it. Our girls name has changed as what I liked last time has become really popular over the last couple of years so it's now out.

We ruled our favourite girls name out because of that (Lily).

Now 18 weeks in and off for an ultrasound on Monday, she is beginning to have some trouble sleeping and trying to get comfortable at night. My mates girlfriend suggested sleeping on her left hand side, anyone know of any particular reason? Doesn't sound like it would make much difference to me. She is also showing alot more than I thoguht at this stage.

Now 18 weeks in and off for an ultrasound on Monday, she is beginning to have some trouble sleeping and trying to get comfortable at night. My mates girlfriend suggested sleeping on her left hand side, anyone know of any particular reason? Doesn't sound like it would make much difference to me. She is also showing alot more than I thoguht at this stage.

A pregnancy book I read when I was having my first said that sleeping on your left side encouraged the baby into the correct position. I always slept on my left and my son was back to front though, so it's not infallible advice. What it does do, however, is prevent pressure from the baby on blood vessels and organs so helps maintain blood flow and digestion.

In our case, it's also because my next door neighbour had a girl 6 months or so ago and called her Lily.

We had a similar situation just before our son was born. For a girl's name, we were considering Sophie and then the wife's best mate got a dog and called her guess what?! We were then relieved our baby turned out to be a boy because we couldn't agree on another girl's name.

A pregnancy book I read when I was having my first said that sleeping on your left side encouraged the baby into the correct position. I always slept on my left and my son was back to front though, so it's not infallible advice. What it does do, however, is prevent pressure from the baby on blood vessels and organs so helps maintain blood flow and digestion.

Ahhh....that's why I'm not a doctortongue.gif. I assumed it was to relieve back pain or whatever. Thanks for the info. I t really is time I started reading up on stuff.

Ahhh....that's why I'm not a doctortongue.gif. I assumed it was to relieve back pain or whatever. Thanks for the info. I t really is time I started reading up on stuff.

There's loads of "bloke" guides you can get, which are probably more fun than reading the standard pregnancy and baby books that are aimed at women. The ones for men give you more advice on sexual positions for when the bump gets bigger and that sort of thing. :lol: