Pregnancy And Parenting

To everyone who says it gets better with a young baby (on this forum and off) - you're absolutely right! My boy Callum is just coming up to 4 months and finally seems to have become a normal baby, after months of difficult feeding, little sleep (for all 3 of us) and the screaming....

He's mostly bottle fed now and is on no less than FIVE different medications. My wife will probably give up the breast feeding soon, which is a shame, but it really hasn't suited him since day 1.

I think one of the biggest factors in his behaviour turning round has been recognising and acting on the signs of sleep - and then leaving him crying while he slowly gets to sleep. Previously we'd try to put him to sleep and he'd scream, so we'd take him again and try to feed / play / rock him. But he'd keep screaming and ended up having just 9 hours sleep per day and dropped down 3 centile weight bands (but the doctors / health visitors seemed to think that was ok).

Now we leave him crying and hey presto, within 10 minutes, almost without fail, he's asleep. He's now getting 16-18 hours, crys far less, virtually never does the full on screaming, is up to just one centile band below his birth weight, and is generally a much happier baby.

Really looking forward to the next development stages now - sitting up, weaning, then on to crawling and beyond. :)

Quick question for everyone who's had a baby in the past year - what's your impression of the gender ratio of babies recently? In our experience it's overwhelmingly male, to such an extent I'm starting to think there is some sinister reason behind it - 85-90% of the recent babies we're aware of are boys.

To everyone who says it gets better with a young baby (on this forum and off) - you're absolutely right! My boy Callum is just coming up to 4 months and finally seems to have become a normal baby, after months of difficult feeding, little sleep (for all 3 of us) and the screaming....

He's mostly bottle fed now and is on no less than FIVE different medications. My wife will probably give up the breast feeding soon, which is a shame, but it really hasn't suited him since day 1.

I think one of the biggest factors in his behaviour turning round has been recognising and acting on the signs of sleep - and then leaving him crying while he slowly gets to sleep. Previously we'd try to put him to sleep and he'd scream, so we'd take him again and try to feed / play / rock him. But he'd keep screaming and ended up having just 9 hours sleep per day and dropped down 3 centile weight bands (but the doctors / health visitors seemed to think that was ok).

Now we leave him crying and hey presto, within 10 minutes, almost without fail, he's asleep. He's now getting 16-18 hours, crys far less, virtually never does the full on screaming, is up to just one centile band below his birth weight, and is generally a much happier baby.

Really looking forward to the next development stages now - sitting up, weaning, then on to crawling and beyond. :)

Quick question for everyone who's had a baby in the past year - what's your impression of the gender ratio of babies recently? In our experience it's overwhelmingly male, to such an extent I'm starting to think there is some sinister reason behind it - 85-90% of the recent babies we're aware of are boys.

We've been lucky in that Josh has been excellent since day 1.

I agree on the gender ratio. The majority I know of recently have been male, definitely.

I've not personally given birth in the last year of course, but I was talking with my cousin when I was back home (Bristol) in February and he was saying that just recently, everyone he knows that had either given birth or were pregnant had or were expecting girls.

When I had my youngest son, it was just after Rowan had had her son, and we were followed by G_Man, Reina and Skyline Drifter who all had boys - two in SD's case. There were others in amongst those too, but these are the ones that stand out in my memory. I'm not sure how many had girls in that time, so I'm unsure of the ratio, but boys certainly seemed to be common at that time.

I've not personally given birth in the last year of course, but I was talking with my cousin when I was back home (Bristol) in February and he was saying that just recently, everyone he knows that had either given birth or were pregnant had or were expecting girls.

When I had my youngest son, it was just after Rowan had had her son, and we were followed by G_Man, Reina and Skyline Drifter who all had boys - two in SD's case. There were others in amongst those too, but these are the ones that stand out in my memory. I'm not sure how many had girls in that time, so I'm unsure of the ratio, but boys certainly seemed to be common at that time.

The wife has a couple of friends who have had children about the same time as us, both boys (one of whom is pregnant again now but doesn't want to know the sex beforehand). One of the guys at my work has had two kids in roughly the same period as me, also both boys.

However, the girl next door had a daughter last month and the guy who runs the pub across the road had a daughter about the same time as our first, one of the girls at my work had a girl about the same time and there's some people at the wife's work who have had girls recently so I doubt there's any great sinister trend going on.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just back from our first family holiday with our little one to Center Parcs and had a blast. Hannah ran herself into the ground every day and both me and the Mrs (Gypsygirl24 - part time poster on here) had a nice relaxing time with the exception of one or two tantrums......Hannah had the odd one too....

So we come back and I'm feeling like shit. Good ol' D&V all day and beginning to burn up. She asks me if there's any supplies she can get me from the shop (awfully nice i thought so I asked for an ice pack for my arse) She comes home and heads upstairs, comes down a couple of minutes later and flashes a positive pregnancy test in my face. Turns out it was more of a family holiday than we first thought. :D

My reaction? To be sick....... :lol:

Delighted though.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just back from our first family holiday with our little one to Center Parcs and had a blast. Hannah ran herself into the ground every day and both me and the Mrs (Gypsygirl24 - part time poster on here) had a nice relaxing time with the exception of one or two tantrums......Hannah had the odd one too....

So we come back and I'm feeling like shit. Good ol' D&V all day and beginning to burn up. She asks me if there's any supplies she can get me from the shop (awfully nice i thought so I asked for an ice pack for my arse) She comes home and heads upstairs, comes down a couple of minutes later and flashes a positive pregnancy test in my face. Turns out it was more of a family holiday than we first thought. :D

Delighted though.

Aw, bless! Congratulations!

Edit to add: I'd be sick if someone waved a stick at me when they'd just peed on it, too.

Edited by Miss D

Yet there were 6 of us at my school (and 1 pupil, incidentally) who were pregnant around the same time and I was the only one to have a boy...

I think if you look at specific pockets you do see trends, but as a whole, the human race aren't likely to end up one sex anytime soon!

Delighted though.

Congrats biggrin.gif

Also, what a great name your daughter has thumbup2.gif

Delighted though.

Congrats :D

Delighted though.

Congratulations, how old is Hannah?

Yet there were 6 of us at my school (and 1 pupil, incidentally) who were pregnant around the same time and I was the only one to have a boy...

When I had Ruairidh and went to baby groups there were more boys than girls.

Things about to even themselves up in this house gender wise.

Congratulations, how old is Hannah?

Hannah will be 3 in May. We had been trying but no luck for 4 or 5 months, then we made the decision to leave it a while so we could save up etc etc...... then BOOM, Adolfo comes good (pun intended).

:D

Hannah will be 3 in May. We had been trying but no luck for 4 or 5 months, then we made the decision to leave it a while so we could save up etc etc...... then BOOM, Adolfo comes good (pun intended).

:D

Nice age gap. We decided to stop trying and I went back to uni..... I was pregnant by the end of January with Ruairidh!

Delighted though.

Well done.

Our youngest is a boy, he's now 22 weeks and we had a tough time with sleeping and have only cracked it on the past week or so. It's insanely bad having to deal with the baby together with our two year old who's up at 6.30 on the dot most mornings.

I'm just looking forward to getting their sleeping patterns in sync so I can catch up on a shiteload of sleep!

I think if you look at specific pockets you do see trends, but as a whole, the human race aren't likely to end up one sex anytime soon!

Yeah, although I have heard of some research that suggests the ratio of boys to girls born increases in times of (inter)national crisis, like wars and depressions....

Just done a count of the babies I know of born in the past year and it's 23 to 4 in favour of the boys. :blink:

Our youngest is a boy, he's now 22 weeks and we had a tough time with sleeping and have only cracked it on the past week or so. It's insanely bad having to deal with the baby together with our two year old who's up at 6.30 on the dot most mornings.

I'm just looking forward to getting their sleeping patterns in sync so I can catch up on a shiteload of sleep!

I can't imagine how tough it must be to have a difficult new baby and a toddler at the same time. Much respect.

Yeah, although I have heard of some research that suggests the ratio of boys to girls born increases in times of (inter)national crisis, like wars and depressions....

Just done a count of the babies I know of born in the past year and it's 23 to 4 in favour of the boys. :blink:

27 babies in the past year? Do any of your pals have tellies?

I've heard similar research to that myself, fairly recently in fact, just within the last few weeks. I'm buggered if I can remember where I heard it though.