Pregnancy And Parenting

My girlfriends stepsister was due next week, we got a call at lunchtime to say she got rushed in and it was stillborn...pretty horrible stuff.

I usually have an answer for anything but I don't really have any words for this. I just wanted to reply so that you knew it hadn't been ignored out of awkwardness or anything. It must be an awful time for you all. My condolences.

I usually have an answer for anything but I don't really have any words for this. I just wanted to reply so that you knew it hadn't been ignored out of awkwardness or anything. It must be an awful time for you all. My condolences.

Pretty grim. We are heading up to see them tomorrow night. Dreading it TBH.

Same response for me - utterly hellish experience for you all.

This is a dreadful thing. My dad was a policeman for 30 years, and I remember in the 90s a woman went in to labour in the florist's shop on the high street. Dad was on hand and delivered the baby - which was stillborn. I've never known him to be so low and depressed. He was for months and months.

In that situation, there is absolutely nothing anyone could ever say that's going to make it better. The fact you went to see them will mean more than trying to find the right words.

Give them a hug, make a cup of tea and dry their tears - it's all you can do.

I can't think of anything more awful to have to deal with. Just be there for them, don't be afraid to talk about the baby because he/she existed and is part of their family. Practical support too, if possible/appropriate - make some food, take it round etc. I know it's not the same, but when I miscarried, the best thing one of my friends did was take round a lasagne she made. It doesn't seem like much, but it's one less thing to have to think about when your head is all over the place.

I can't think of anything more awful to have to deal with. Just be there for them, don't be afraid to talk about the baby because he/she existed and is part of their family. Practical support too, if possible/appropriate - make some food, take it round etc. I know it's not the same, but when I miscarried, the best thing one of my friends did was take round a lasagne she made. It doesn't seem like much, but it's one less thing to have to think about when your head is all over the place.

Already sorted. We are heading over with Sunday dinner.

Might sound like a p***k, but I really don't want to as I'm socially awkward as it is, my mind is absolutely blank as to what to talk about.

I haven't posted as it didn't seem right due to Shuggie's news. Horrible to hear.

Our wee one is doing well. She was born 6 weeks early and spend the first couple of days in the Special Baby Unit's one-to-one section. She was moved into the more general section of the SBU on Sunday evening.

She had a collapsed lung and so was placed on a ventilator and given a chest drain. She got off the chest drain and ventilator today so we got to hold her through the incubator and my wife got to change her nappy :)

She's a wee smasher. The absolute double of her big sister.

Harlen is 4 months old already, where does the time go.

All going well, the rate of growth has slowed thankfully, dropped from the 99th percentile to something in the 80s.

He was off for some checks this week and they've discovered he's still a bit tongue-tied and they've also discovered he's lip-tied as well, booked in to get both fixed on Friday this week.

Sleeping pattern still very hit and miss, one night he'll wake once in a 12 hour period, the next he's up every 2-3 hours.

post-74-0-09746600-1403645312_thumb.jpg

Also, interestingly (or not) the birth of daughter 2 has brought the total of girls born among our circle of friends to 15:

Me and E: 2

J and L: 3

B and R: 3

K and K: 2

J and M: 1

D and G: 1

L and E: 1

I and S: 1

K and A: 1

None of us have had a boy. Not one. Must be something in the air.

Edited by Gaz

Also, interestingly (or not) the birth of daughter 2 has brought the total of girls born among our circle of friends to 15:Me and E: 2J and L: 3B and R: 3K and K: 2J and M: 1D and G: 1L and E: 1I and S: 1K and A: 1None of us have had a boy. Not one. Must be something in the air.

Everyone if my or her mates for the last 18 months have all had boys. I counted 7 boys in a row now.