Pregnancy And Parenting

Is he breast or bottle fed? My wee one is, amongst other allergies, intolerant to lactose and constant runs is one of the symptoms. If bottle fed you can get alternative formulas on prescription and if breastfed it's a case of limiting dairy intake. If it doesn't clear up it's an angle worth pushing as they don't like diagnosing it as the formulas are pretty expensive on prescription.

We fostered a child who was lactose intolerant and he had dreadful eczema, that's how he got diagnosed, don't remember him having the runs, although that really wasn't my department!

Don't remember any great difficulty getting him diagnosed, he got put onto a lactose free formula and it cleared up practically immediately.

We fostered a child who was lactose intolerant and he had dreadful eczema, that's how he got diagnosed, don't remember him having the runs, although that really wasn't my department!

Don't remember any great difficulty getting him diagnosed, he got put onto a lactose free formula and it cleared up practically immediately.

Niamh had bad eczema as well. It took me from the June to the September to get a referral to the paediatrician. She had horrific reflux and wasn't putting weight on all that well either. In the end I simply went to the gp every week until they got sick of the sight of me and refered me on. By which stage the eczema had flared up as well. Her nappies were awful too, constant stream of poo.

Peadiatrican took one look at her and confirmed what I had been saying for months.

So when I went back to the gp a few weeks ago as I was concerned about her walking she referee me straight to physio, probably so I wouldn't pester them! I was right then too as she has an immature hip which we are now waiting to see an ortho about and they will decide if it needs surgery!

Hmmm he's bottle fed and was doing grand after coming off the cheb when he was 12 weeks. Interesting about the eczema though, as his has really flared up since he's had these runs - the paed said he thought the flare up was due to this virus that he reckons he's had.

His chat was that lactose intolerance would usually be accompanied by blood in his nappy, more vomiting than he's doing and that he wouldn't be putting on weight as his body would be rejecting the milk? - but if it's not cleared up this time next week they'll be looking at running further tests.

He's still guzzling his feeds like the wee grubber he is, but they more or less go straight through him, although as I say he's putting on a normal amount of weight for his age and percentile.

Maybe because we had social workers involved things went a bit quicker, although as far as I can recall my wife just took him down to the doctor's and after a short period for tests and such like everything was sorted.

Blood in the nappy? I wouldn't be too happy about that - when doctors don't know what's wrong with you it's a "virus". I think you should be pressing for more tests regarding lactose intolerance.

ETA: Just re-read madwullie's post and realised his child doesn't have blood in his nappy, but I wouldn't wait until that happens, either, get him seen to.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Yup me too, as Jacksgrandad said, once the formula changed Naimh's skin cleared up within a week, we're talking red raw and weeping skin and her poo's settled down within the same amount of time and the reflux reduced.

I've certianly never heard that a lactose intolerance would definitely involve blood in the stool. Remember that as part of your right as a patient or parent of a patient you have the right to a second opinion. If you don't feel that your doctor is taking it seriously enough or doesn't seem interested, ask to see another! Hope the wee man gets settled soon, poor lad!

Anyone else refuse to find out the sex baby? We did first time around, and have agreed to again this time. Itching to find out now though!!!

Anyway, 23 weeks in now and buzzing.

We never found out for our two. We are tempted to find out with baby number 3 though.

Just asked Mrs A - she says we wont be finding out this time round either.

We never found out for our two. We are tempted to find out with baby number 3 though.

Just asked Mrs A - she says we wont be finding out this time round either.

She still doesn't want to know....but it's torturing me.

Also, the past few weeks all I've been getting is "Is it a boy or a girl?"...."We don't know"....."Well what are you hoping for?" What am I hoping for? A baby with a bit of luck. What kind of question is that to ask someone?dry.gif