The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

From LordsOfPain.net:

Several readers have sent word that The Rock announced today at the WrestleMania 29 press conference in New Jersey that he will be appearing at next year's big event from MetLife Stadium.

WrestleMania 29 will be The Rock's third straight WrestleMania appearance as he was the special guest host for WrestleMania 27 and will wrestle John Cena this year.

From LordsOfPain.net:

Several readers have sent word that The Rock announced today at the WrestleMania 29 press conference in New Jersey that he will be appearing at next year's big event from MetLife Stadium.

WrestleMania 29 will be The Rock's third straight WrestleMania appearance as he was the special guest host for WrestleMania 27 and will wrestle John Cena this year.

Pleasing, and then surely WrestleMania's 30th anniversary the following year as well (which will have to be at be at MSG)? :D

Edited by Paulo Sergio

Why don't they just call him Chris Hero?

WWE just aren't that big on keeping names on guys, regardless of how well recognised it is elsewhere. It could be that they don't like to acknowledge the guys past or maybe they want the guy to be "theirs".

Pleasing, and then surely WrestleMania's 30th anniversary the following year as well (which will have to be at be at MSG)? :D

Probably not from what I've read. Mania is the biggest pay day of the year so they are trying to stick with stadiums, I can't see them going back to MSG every 10 years for sentimental reasons when $millions are on offer.

WWE just aren't that big on keeping names on guys, regardless of how well recognised it is elsewhere. It could be that they don't like to acknowledge the guys past or maybe they want the guy to be "theirs".

Don't the guys they bring in own their indy names as it is their creative property, ie. WWE would need to pay to own the name if the talent eventually leaves????

Don't the guys they bring in own their indy names as it is their creative property, ie. WWE would need to pay to own the name if the talent eventually leaves????

I'm not 100% sure about that, but I think only the smarter indy guys, who've taken measures in order to protect their names i.e. trademarks etc., that will have that. CM Punk could be an example of that, I think his name was protected before hand, and that's why WWE tried to buy it in his contract last summer. Like I said though I'm not 100% sure on that and I could be completely wrong.

Looks like it's a mix of both:

The WWE has been changing the ring names of some of its development talent. The reason for this is because the WWE wants to own their ring name. This is so that is the wrestler makes a name for his/her self they can't go elsewhere and make money off it, an example would be Mick Foley.

There have been some exceptions for Ted DiBiase Jr, and Natalya Neidhart. Afa Jr. who was going by his real name in FCW was called up to the main roster and given the name Manu.

Source:Wrestlenewz.com

Edited by ginge123

Probably not from what I've read. Mania is the biggest pay day of the year so they are trying to stick with stadiums, I can't see them going back to MSG every 10 years for sentimental reasons when $millions are on offer.

I prefer it in the big 70,000+ stadiums they've been going to recently anyway, so I wouldn't mind. It makes for a much better atmosphere and makes the occasion feel more spectacular - for me anyway. 8)

Just watched JBL vs Eddie Guerrero for the WWE Championship in a steel cage on Smackdown in 2004. Holy shitfuck what a match. Sent a shiver down my spine at 22:00. I have a vague recollection of watching the match at the time and not really appreciating it tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znHIDYyX4PU&feature=BFp&list=WL3B072D355FFCDE12

Just watching some videos of the invasion angle (which I loved) and this was my favoutite moment by a mile, I remember watching this at the time and absolutley loving it. I was really into that storyline. What a pounding those 2 idiots took 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5Q7NTyA0E

Edited by gordon the gopher