The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

PWG Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll

PWG's latest release, and it's got a hell of a card on paper. Lets see how it goes. Worth noting there was a fair few TV actors at this one. Fun playing "spot the actor" at times.

Roderick Strong vs. Brian Cage

Deary me Cage is a big boy. Roderick Strong is definitely the king of the PWG midcard. Cage is looking halfway normal again after looking Scott Steiner levels of freaky for a long time. He also lands a 619 on Strong which sends the already hot as hell crowd into an absolute frenzy. A hot as hell opener all things said, with both guys keeping this going at a frantic pace. They didn't overload the match with nearfalls and didn't put together a show stealer, but just flung together a whole bunch of stuff, and it just happened to stick with the fans. Fair play. ***1/2

Rich Swann vs. AR Fox

This match could get very spotty. I have to admit, I was expecting this to be considerably more mental than it was. Not that the match doesn't get mental of course. The head dropping was unnecessary at times and there's some real nice stuff between the pair, but the pace just isn't what you'd expect from these two. Kevin Steen gets all excited when Fox does some Ryback stuff. The counters down the stretch were good and this is not a bad match, but it's certainly disappointing. ***

Best Friends ( Trent? And Chuck Taylor ) vs. The World's Cutest Tag Team ( Joey Ryan and Candice La Rae )

Chuck Taylor is in full "I don't want to hit the lady" mode, and lots of shenanigans surrounding that, including Chuck Taylor going backstage and getting dressed as a woman so as he could take Candice LaRae on. This is a good tag team match between four wrestlers who could probably pull this sort of match off in their sleep. ***1/2

Alex Kozlov vs. Rocky Romero

The Forever Hooligans collide. And it's a bloody boring match as well. Both guys just completely shitfest their way through this. *

ACH vs. Ricochet

I guess this match explains the more muted effort from Rich Swann and AR Fox. I don't think you can have two one on one matches quite like this on the same show. These two guys definitely bring the awesome in a big way. ACH isn't going to spend much longer on the indies I don't think. He's got a great presence, and for a wee guy, he's built like an absolute tank. Absolutely brilliant stuff here. ****1/4

Kevin Steen and The Young Bucks vs. Cedric Alexander, Trevor Lee and Johnny Gargano

Ah. The PWG six man tag. Always brilliant. Trevor Lee and Cedric Alexander both made PWG debuts the previous month and stole the show, along with Andrew Everett. Everett had to be replaced in the his team, but they put Johnny Gargano in there, so can't really complain about that. If you've watched PWG six man tags with Bucks recently, you know exactly what to expect. An all action, utterly mental 20+ minute spotfest with a nuclear crowd. ****1/2

Adam Cole © vs. Kyle O'Reilly - PWG Championship

O'Reilly came off of a terrific showing in the Battle of Los Angeles to win the title shot. The match can only be won by KO or submission. Adam Cole isn't the best wrestler in my eyes, but fans HATE him, his matches always have that added drama as a result. As you might imagine with these two guys, they know each other pretty well, so they put together some really good sequences of stuff without it being too contrived. Kyle O'Reilly took a hell of a beating in this one, to the point that the side of his face was swollen pretty bad. It's one of the best singles matches that Adam Cole has ever had. ****

So... four matches hitting 4* or more. Fine by me. The undercard also did it's bit by offering lots of different stuff, from the goofy to the mental. So aye, this is cracking. It's not available on Highspots yet, but the DVD is out.

Edited by NewDomDom

I see Jim Ross is touting for himself and CM Punk to do some commentary over an MMA match or a wrestling match, particularly overseas where they could give commentary for the English speaking side going as far to suggest they'd be the equivalent of the Spanish announce team in WWE. He states that it's only a fantasy booking but CM Punk will be free soon.

Shuggie_Murray7, on 18 Jul 2014 - 20:19, said:

I think WWE have an option on a 6 month extension on Punks contract that they could enforce just to stop him going elsewhere.

I don't think Punk will mind getting paid for another 6 month to do nothing.

Waffelz, on 19 Jul 2014 - 02:24, said:

Punk isn't going to join another company. He doesn't like wrestling anymore. he says he's going to start a podcast or band. Mon the latter :D

It wouldn't need to involve joining a company. A combination of JR and Punk for commentary in the wrestling industry could command quite a decent amount of money on a show by show basis. Not that I think it'll happen. I'm also sure there'd be enough money men to finance them to cover at the very least a lower level MMA bout.

CM Punk's pretty much set for life, so it's not a money issue for him.

EDIT: Oh, and Robbie E is right when he says that. I just don't think he quite gets in what way he's right about it.

Edited by NewDomDom

All Sting has to do these days is blink and folk are screaming "OMG!". He's already said he's on good terms with WWE and happy to do wee appearances and help promote stuff, and has a collection on the way with them.

He still isn't sure if he actually wants to go to WWE, because The Undertaker still isn't sure if he wants to wrestle again. Until that latter thing is sorted, the former won't be.