The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I remember them having a Friday night programme on C5 as well, although obviously that was post-nWo and had crow Sting.

Aye, that was WCW Worldwide complete with Batman style KAPOW!! graphics to cover up chair shots and the like.

Aye, that was WCW Worldwide complete with Batman style KAPOW!! graphics to cover up chair shots and the like.

:lol:

Remember that well. Dunno why they bothered to show hardcore matches on that show since every move was accompanied by a "KERPOW!" graphic.

I remember them having a Friday night programme on C5 as well, although obviously that was post-nWo and had crow Sting.

Aye. I remember that being on C5. I'm sure the nWo were on it each week or maybe I'm thinking of TNT. There used to be the Power Hour when it was the old NWA. It was on about 3 in the morning. Timer on the old VHS needed to be set for it.

The very first thing I ever saw of WCW was on C5 and just as I flicked over some guy was speared through a cage wall by a massive guy. I had no idea who either were.

But you know exactly what incident I'm on about

When they first changed from NWA to WCW I thought they were better than WWF/E

You had Flair in his prime, Sting / Luger, the steiners, Anderson, Windham, Eaton, and loads of others. I think I probably prefered the style as WCW was more technical compared to the WWF at the time which consisted of Hogan main eventing against the Barbarian, Earthquake, anyone else over 300lb they could find and every match seemed to be the same (Hogan takes beating, fights back, hulks up, few punches, then big leg drop)

The problem was WWE had the money and poached all the best talent when they started making it big, ie Mean Mark / Undertaker, Austin, etc

Can't see I seen a great deal of WCW either. I used to watch the first hour of Nitro on TNT before Raw on a Friday night when I was a youngster but I didn't see much outside of the WWF bubble. Was always aware of the goings on and the bigger names through reading Powerslam etc but didn't really see many PPVs or anything like that.

I remember being gutted at how the Invasion storyline panned out though. I thought that was going to be absolutely amazing but obviously there were issues with the contracts of the top stars like Goldberg & Sting.

The problem was WWE had the money and poached all the best talent when they started making it big, ie Mean Mark / Undertaker, Austin, etc

The problem with that was that WWE (and ECW on a smaller scale) actually knew what to do with their young talent and realised they had to replace the likes of Hogan, Savage, Warrior etc with a different era of superstars. WCW managed to make great alternative, "edgy" TV by using ex WWF/NWA wrestlers and portaying them in a new light.

The problem was that they neglected their other young talents such as Austin, Taker, Pillman, Jericho, Benoit etc in order to keep the more recognised names on top. The other guys got sick of not getting enough opportunities and eventually jumped ship. WCW had plenty of money and a mixture of well established names with up and coming wrestlers with huge potential. They should have had sustained success but were pretty badly managed, then Russo came in and made it shockingly bad.

To be fair it was when they started to sign guys like Hogan, Savage etc that it started to go down hill, granted the had the whole nWo thing once they had signed but if was the beginning of the end really.

I dont think you can say they neglected Taker (who wasn't there that long before signing with WWE) or Austin (if i remember right had the longest run as TV champ and also tag champ with Pillman), Jericho and Benoit were later so cant really comment. In the case of Austin I didn't think he would go much higher than mid card any time I saw him in WCW (his fued with Dustin Rhodes was pretty good stuff though), even when he first came to WWE as the ringmaster (i may be wrong with the gimmick) he didn't look anything special until the whole stone cold thing took off.

I think thats is the balance for any promotion between getting the guys that people know and expect to see on TV / Shows, and giving time to build new talent up, its your marque guys that draw the crowds not the unknowns

To be fair it was when they started to sign guys like Hogan, Savage etc that it started to go down hill, granted the had the whole nWo thing once they had signed but if was the beginning of the end really.

No it wasn't. Signing those guys made them the hottest wrestling company in the world. As noted in a previous post it was keeping those guys on top and not creating new headline guys that fucked them (along with other comical decisions).

No it wasn't. Signing those guys made them the hottest wrestling company in the world. As noted in a previous post it was keeping those guys on top and not creating new headline guys that fucked them (along with other comical decisions).

Granted its only my opinion but yeah i thoguht it started going down hill when they were paying stupid money for (mostly) over the hill WWE rejects, i never really cared for any of Hogan, Nash or Hall in the WWE and didn't really have much interest in them in WCW and to be fair after they joined I wasn't watching much wrestling anyway.

My point was it was paying over the odds for these guys, and letting people like Bischoff and Russo run the company that led to things going downhill quickly and to me was the beginning of the end (you've got to have a buddle for it to burst!)

Its probably my inbuilt hatred of everything hogan thats behind the view point though, but I would say it's backed up by how TNA has gone once he got involved

WCW went rapidly uphill when they were getting used right. This is actual fact, as evidenced by PPV buys, TV ratings and their attendances. nWo was a revolutionary wrestling stable and storyline, and also at the time the cruiserweights became a key of the show and guys like DDP and Goldberg became household names as well as Sting having his biggest spell in the promotion. They were even the biggest promotion on the planet for a while.

The product before they came in was hardly earth shattering. It was up and down like a yoyo. For every Beach Blast 92, there was a Great American Bash 1991 stinking up the place.

And you'll also find that Eric Bischoff never had much to do with what happened in the end. Which is why he is, quite rightly, respected for what he achieved there. When he came back the second time, it was far too late and the damage had been done, but the product had taken a real upturn at that point with two corking PPVs in a row and a good TV product. As I said though, the damage had been done.