The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I'm going back a bit here, and I may be not seeing something fairly obvious, but was there any reason that Shaun Michaels wasn't part of the WM30 build up, or was he and I completely pied him?

Shawn had one eye on something else at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be true from what I see. He was an impressive specimen, and not a bad wrestler actually. I have no idea where it came apart for that guy. Almost every time his name comes up, it's been good stuff that's been said, and he had time ahead to get it right, yet WWE just decided he was shit from the off.

The vignettes for the Devil's Advocate character were brilliant. Thought provoking, sinister and he had a natural look of a big mean b*****d that he was a great fit for it.

Unfortunately, WWE at the time were hitting it out the park at the time with such 'amazing' characters as Simon Dean, Rico and Torrie Wilson's da, that they had no idea what to do with a character who could have been potentially very good.

I liked O'Haire in the late 90s when WCW were begging for new guys to shut the faces of those old fuckers who were running the show. His tag team with Mark Jindrak was awesome - total newbies but athletic freaks. WWF/E didn't like him at first during the Invasion, besides they had stars galore, so he went to OVW and was a bit of a grump by all accounts. He came back, his new gimmick didn't kick on and he was injured in a motorbike crash so WWF/E cut their losses and sacked him.

He then went to Japan and had a tryout on a smaller show against the now-biggest star in Japan, Hiroshi Tanahashi, but management thought he wasn't right or fit enough. If you can't work a match with Tanahashi something is wrong, but Japan will forgive your sins if you have size. Did some indies, had another tryout with WWE and they passed on him and he quit to do MMA.

Stories of his unpleasantness as a man abound, nonetheless I was a fan for the period that I got to see him and it's sad that he's gone.

He then went to Japan and had a tryout on a smaller show against the now-biggest star in Japan, Hiroshi Tanahashi, but management thought he wasn't right or fit enough. If you can't work a match with Tanahashi something is wrong, but Japan will forgive your sins if you have size.

Bit harsh that. AJ Styles had a match with Tanahashi which didn't click either, and that was when AJ Styles was fantastic the first time around. Sometimes it just doesn't click.

Bit harsh that. AJ Styles had a match with Tanahashi which didn't click either, and that was when AJ Styles was fantastic the first time around. Sometimes it just doesn't click.

I've seen all three of their matches and thought they all had a little something. If you mean the TNA one, that one got Russo'd.

I'd give him a goalkeeper gimmick. Everytime anyone touches him he hits the deck and the ref stops the match for about 5 minutes.

Do they not already have some English guy on a development deal who had been a goalie in the lower leagues down south ?, maybe a future tag-team on the horizon "The Shot-Stoppers" :lol: