The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

That's Tommy Dreamer chucked it. I never did see him lasting for anywhere near the 4 year deal he signed in the summer. He did alright for himself when you compare him with the other ECW Originals. A few garbage matches with his old buddy Raven beckon.

Orton's first title reign wasn't because he was the wrong guy, as the heat that he was getting both before, during and after the match would tell, but rather because the WWE rushed the face push and had Triple H bury him for a while. It seems that any time Randy Orton becomes a legit star, WWE want to destroy him.

This point is quite interesting and I've found some statistics for his feud with Cena from 2009.

In their feud this year, John Cena and Randy Orton had 23 live event matches, 2 dark matches and 5 matches on WWE TV. 30 matches in total. Out of those, John Cena won 28 and Randy Orton won 2. They also had 50 tag matches this year with 35 of those being on live events, 5 being dark matches, 10 on WWE TV and 2 where they were forced to team together.

Orton won 2 of 30? Talk about getting destroyed.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Don't worry i'm not going to turn heel on this thread and start supporting TNA from now on, but did anyone watch the Kurt Angle vs Desmond Wolfe match at Final Resolution? :o

The match was superb between two proper wrestlers with back and forth action and hell the first ten minutes were better than the whole of Raw. It's a shame that we'll probably never see Angle in a WWE ring again as he is the best wrestler in the world.

Don't worry i'm not going to turn heel on this thread and start supporting TNA from now on, but did anyone watch the Kurt Angle vs Desmond Wolfe match at Final Resolution? :o

The match was superb between two proper wrestlers with back and forth action and hell the first ten minutes were better than the whole of Raw. It's a shame that we'll probably never see Angle in a WWE ring again as he is the best wrestler in the world.

Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that Vince had left the door open to Angle if he decided to leave TNA and that he even had his writers write Angle back into WWE?

Also, I found this:

There are mixed feelings on new WWE Champion Sheamus in the locker room. While some feel his friendship with Triple H has been blown out of proportion, others are accusing him of being a "shameless suck-up" to Triple H. The word going around WWE continues to be that Sheamus and new WWE Intercontinental Champion Drew McIntyre are the favorites of Triple H and Shawn Michaels right now.

Bret Hart is in WWE? Shawn Michaels and Triple H are basically running WWE? Have I woke up in the 1990's?

Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that Vince had left the door open to Angle if he decided to leave TNA and that he even had his writers write Angle back into WWE?

Yeh that's true, even though Angle and Vince fell out over how Kurt left WWE, Vince has always said that he would leave the door open for his return. There was a rumour that Kurt was set to quit TNA after he found about Jarrett and his ex wife dating and return to the WWE but that sadly hasn't come to anything.

There are mixed feelings on new WWE Champion Sheamus in the locker room. While some feel his friendship with Triple H has been blown out of proportion, others are accusing him of being a "shameless suck-up" to Triple H. The word going around WWE continues to be that Sheamus and new WWE Intercontinental Champion Drew McIntyre are the favorites of Triple H and Shawn Michaels right now.

Not much of a surprise there, it's a shame that certain wrestlers don't have to work from the bottom to the top and instead all they have to do is kiss someone's ass who has power like Triple H in order to get pushed right into the spotlight. This espcially applies to Sheamus, who didn't work his way up and it's pretty poor that his first title in the WWE is the biggest one going today.

Also he'll probably retain the title next week with Orton costing Cena the win because he needs Sheamus to win so he can still have a shot at winning the title back.

Yeh that's true, even though Angle and Vince fell out over how Kurt left WWE, Vince has always said that he would leave the door open for his return. There was a rumour that Kurt was set to quit TNA after he found about Jarrett and his ex wife dating and return to the WWE but that sadly hasn't come to anything.

Not much of a surprise there, it's a shame that certain wrestlers don't have to work from the bottom to the top and instead all they have to do is kiss someone's ass who has power like Triple H in order to get pushed right into the spotlight. This espcially applies to Sheamus, who didn't work his way up and it's pretty poor that his first title in the WWE is the biggest one going today.

Also he'll probably retain the title next week with Orton costing Cena the win because he needs Sheamus to win so he can still have a shot at winning the title back.

Are you sure? I presumed that as soon as Cena lost the title Orton could challenge anyone for it again, even if it was Cena.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

What about Jericho? :P

Don't worry i'm not going to turn heel on this thread and start supporting TNA from now on, but did anyone watch the Kurt Angle vs Desmond Wolfe match at Final Resolution?

Stunning match. Although I thought Daniels and Styles topped it. Daniels is back to the way he was back in the early back of the decade. A hunger and energy he hasn't had for a LONG time.

Randy Orton could get his shot by winning the Rumble. He'd have choice of titles to go for and couldn't be stopped from challenging Cena, as has been my prediction all along. ;)

What about Jericho? :P

Jericho is the complete superstar as he ticks all the right boxes. For example his mic skills are the best while he has excellent charisma. He's reliable in the ring as he delivers matches worth watching plus he's never been injured, while he's a great entertainer yet also a fine wrestler. Furthermore he's probably the only heel in the WWE that gets proper heat!

Sure he's not as great a wrestler as Angle (no-one is) but he's the best overall superstar making him the best in the world at what he does.

Put it this way all these future hypocrtical troglodytes have a hard act in following Jericho! ;)

Jericho is the complete superstar as he ticks all the right boxes. For example his mic skills are the best while he has excellent charisma. He's reliable in the ring as he delivers matches worth watching plus he's never been injured, while he's a great entertainer yet also a fine wrestler. Furthermore he's probably the only heel in the WWE that gets proper heat!

This.

Sure he's not as great a wrestler as Angle (no-one is) but he's the best overall superstar making him the best in the world at what he does.

Yes he is. He's better. At least he can build a match properly and actually sell moves/injuries.

Put it this way all these future hypocrtical troglodytes have a hard act in following Jericho! ;)

Shut up ya parasite :P

I think that Jericho does an amazing job on the mic. I find his promos to be boring, but they clearly work and get the fans right on his back, so what do I know ? The guy clearly knows his shit. The guy is more than reliable in the ring and was involved in one of the best matches of the year against Rey Mysterio ( a guy who I thought was the best of the year ).

Yes he is. He's better. At least he can build a match properly and actually sell moves/injuries.

Indeed. Kurt Angle is almost infuriating to watch at times. Chris Jericho is multiple times the wrestler Angle is.

Two cracking matches but I prefered the Angle/Wolfe bout, particularly the submission fall.

You're right about the submission fall actually. Give these guys a submissions match and they'd probably tear it down.

Indeed. Kurt Angle is almost infuriating to watch at times. Chris Jericho is multiple times the wrestler Angle is.

You two surprised me there! :P

I dunno i've always liked Angle from his WWE days and his technical wrestling skills impressed me and considering i've only watched TNA for a year, recent 4 star matches which spring to mind are his ones against AJ Styles and Desmond Wolfe, while if you look back to his WWE days his matches against the likes of Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Stone Cold and Eddie Guerrero for example were exceptional.

On a side note what annoys me about Jericho is that unlike Angle's submission, hardly anyone of a decent standard taps to the Walls of Jericho anymore, if they did it would make Jericho an even more credible superstar.

Jericho is the best superstar in the WWE and considering how he made the Intercontinental title and Tag Team titles important again, he deserves the World Heavyweight Championship soon!

Hey, maybe just maybe he'll win the Rumble! ;)

I dunno i've always liked Angle from his WWE days and his technical wrestling skills impressed me and considering i've only watched TNA for a year, recent 4 star matches which spring to mind are his ones against AJ Styles and Desmond Wolfe, while if you look back to his WWE days his matches against the likes of Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Stone Cold and Eddie Guerrero for example were exceptional.

The AJ Styles matches weren't that good. The Slammiversary match was actually pretty shit. The Desmond Wolfe series was actually good and goes to show that when Angle isn't killing finishers and doing his usual spotty gimmickness, he can be good. There is no doubt that the guy can have great matches. The opponents you mention are good examples, and lets not forget the great matches with Shane McMahon and The Undertaker along the way.

He has vicious flaws though. I think the best example was the Lockdown match with Samoa Joe. They go and have a terrific first half of the match, and then what happens ? Goes right into finisher killing and absolutely no regard for the first half of the match. They'd have been as well just going right to that finishing sequence for all the good that it did.

On a side note what annoys me about Jericho is that unlike Angle's submission, hardly anyone of a decent standard taps to the Walls of Jericho anymore, if they did it would make Jericho an even more credible superstar.

It usually takes about four attempts at the Ankle Lock to make someone tap out. Infact, you can probably tell, in order, how the opponents are going to counter it as well.

You two surprised me there! :P

Don't get me wrong I do like Angle. But as Dom pointed out, he is infuriating sometimes. Whens hes on he is phenomenal. But his lack of psychology within a match and countless Angle slams and countless ankle lock attempts within one match can at times be boring as shit.

With that said, I really enjoyed his submission fall with Wolfe at Final Resolution :ph34r: .

I've not entrusted myself to my Dailymotion playlists for a while. I've forgotten what's on most of them.

The Bolsheviks vs. The British Bulldogs - WWE Prime Time Wrestling 1987

The dog of the Bulldogs chases the Bolsheviks out of the ring, and then the ref. :lol: This is mainly the formula stuck to religiously, but it's still the Bulldogs so they add their own nice wee tidbits to it and make it nice and fresh. The Bolsheviks won the worst tag team of the year in 1987. Not all that fair IMO, but the tag scene in the US at that time was absolutely amazing. They're fine for what they're doing in this match, playing the big nasty men. If you can put up with the same tag match that happened hundreds of times in the 80s, you'll probably enjoy this.

Highlight of the match : Boris Zhukov's looking like Colin Monk. **3/4

Batista © vs. Triple H - World Heavyweight Championship - WWE Backlash 2005

I can't remember this match. I do remember the brilliant Hell in a Cell match that came a month later. A couple of stories running through this match. The Pedigree, which has been built up as the one thing that can stop Batista, and Batista believing the hype and avoiding it any cost. The second being the back of Batista which got worked on at ringside. Batista's selling and awareness of his surroundings is brilliant, doing little things that most guys wouldn't think of, like rolling to the ropes and getting into the corner at every oppertunity, but when he makes his comeback, it's all but forgotten. A bit short for a PPV main event, but there is plenty to like here.

Highlight of the match : The look on Batista's face when he gets Suplexed on the outside. :lol:***1/2

Matt Hardy © vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Christian - WWE European Championship - WWE Backlash 2001

Cool beans. You get these three guys in a match you know you're in for some fun. This match is all go right from the first bell. Some cracking moves in there as well. There wasn't much in the way of triple threat spots which was a bit disappointing as you know that these three guys should be able to think up some incredible stuff, but no matter. It's still a good wee match.

Highlight of the match : Matt Hardy's ultra cool Handspring Apron DDT. ***1/4

Carlito © vs. Shelton Benjamin - WWE Intercontinental Championship - WWE Vengeance 2005

The announcer makes a cock up by calling Carlito the challenger. He only won the title six days before you muppet. Somebody clearly forgot to tell Carlito about the whole injury angle. Shelton must have been going mental inside, because he had this injury sold and was selling it well, but Carlito just didn't go for it, and Carlito was also as green as grass in this match too. This had potential, but Carlito's shameful performance definately dragged it down. Points for effort though.

Highlight of the match : Shelton's Springboard Bulldog. ***

"Ravishing" Rick Rude © vs. The Ultimate Warrior - WWE Intercontintal Championship - WWE Copps Coliseum 01/05/1989

Rick Rude calls the ladies in the audience "heffers" which makes me burst out laughing. It took around 10 minutes for Rick Rude to get a single offensive move in, which is actually quite funny when you think about it. Credit to Warrior for keeping the action good through that time though, especially when he's considered as someone who's not very good. Infact, the match kinda just starts twaddling along when Rude starts to get some momentum going. Cheap ending is understandable considering who was in it. Not their best match.

Highlight of the match : Rick Rude messes up going over the top rope and lands on his head on the floor. **3/4

Mr. Perfect vs. Tito Santana - WWE Copps Coliseum 01/05/1989

VERY disappointing match, which shouldn't be a surprise given that it was a house show match, but Santana usually forces the issue as far as effort goes and brings the good match as a result, but this time neither man brought their A game. There was still some really fun overselling from Perfect and he did take a couple of big bumps as he does from time to time, but this should have been much better.

Highlight of the match : Perfect overselling a move Santana did with his knees. **

I'll probably be back with more later. I have more stuff waiting to be watched.