The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Signed up for NJPW World tonight, any recommendations on stuff I should check out?

Koji Kanemoto vs Liger. Any of them

If you're prepping for the Dome show then watch Power Struggle 2014 and the 2014 tag league final and you should be good to go.

Former WWE wrestler CM Punk holds the record of the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era, as he held the WWE championship from November 20, 2011 to January 27, 2013 for a total of 434 days. CM Punk’s nearly 15-month title reign is the sixth longest WWE title reign of all-time, behind Pedro Morales [1,027 days], Bruno Sammartino [1,237 days], Hulk Hogan [1,474 days], Bob Backlund [2,135 days] and Bruno Sammartino again [2,803 days].

With CM Punk exiting the company in an ugly way, WWE doesn’t want to make reference to him as the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era. As a matter of fact, they don’t even want to reference CM Punk at all, hence why they’re removing all CM Punk signs from their live events, and asking fans who wear CM Punk-related merchandise to their events to either change, or leave.

The belief is that Roman Reigns will walk out of WrestleMania 31 as the new WWE champion, defeating Brock Lesnar. It’s also no secret that WWE wants to make Roman Reigns the next John Cena. Well, the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era before CM Punk was, in fact, John Cena. After Cena won the WWE championship for the third time in his career, he held the title for 385 days before an injury forced him to relinquish the title. However, at that time, WWE had no plans to have John Cena drop the title any time soon.

Like CM Punk, Brock Lesnar walked out of WWE before his contract had expired back in 2004. Lesnar had just signed a big money extension with WWE, but then decided that he no longer wanted to be a professional wrestler soon thereafter. Just two years earlier, Lesnar had become the youngest WWE champion in history, winning the title when he was just 25 years old. Four months after Lesnar departed from WWE in 2004, WWE wanted to erase Lesnar’s record as the youngest champion in history, so they had Randy Orton win the world heavyweight championship when he was just 24. Now, the two titles Orton and Lesnar won were different, but WWE did portray Orton as the youngest champion ever in the history of the company, replacing Lesnar.

With WWE wanting to make Roman Reigns their next big star, and, for the time being, wanting to erase all of CM Punk’s records, Reigns could be the man to break CM Punk’s record as the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era, whether fans like it or not, which could be a mistake on WWE’s part, but time will tell.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1705456/wwe...iHT3bhP52sm.99

If that happens i'm done.

4 days until NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9, anyone getting involved? Thoughts and predictions?....

I'll kick off:

15-man New Japan Rumble: We still don't know who's going to be in this bar Liger, Nakanishi, Tiger Mask and Nagata. So no prediction here but what i wil say is...if you have Yuji Nagata working a match on your pre-show then your roster has DEPTH!

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship - reDRagon vs Forever Hooligans vs Time Splitters vs The Young Bucks: It seems ike we've seen 3/4 of this match so many times in NJPW this year (and i'm not compaining, these teams work together brillianty) but the reDRagon addition spices it up further. Prediction - Time Spitters

Bullet Cub (Fale, Jarrett and Takahashi) vs TenCozy and Tomoaki Honma: Only worldy reason Honma can be in here while Nagata goes on pre-show duty is for him to take the fall here so...Prediction - Bullet Club (I like Honma btw, but it's the only thing that makes sense here)

TMDK, Naomichi Marufuji and Toru Yano vs Suzuki-gun (Smith Jr, Archer, Benjamin and Iizuka): Absolutely delighted to see Yano's surprise partners be the NOAH guys! Pretty exciting times ahead in terms of roster sharing and i'm thinking up dream matches like nobody's business for future events. I think the NOAH boys take a share of the glory here on their debut to celebrate the union. Prediction - TMDK, Marufuji and Yano

Minoru Suzuki vs Kazushi Sakuraba: This will be a WAR, which it would've been without the MMA stipulation but bloody hell it will be brutal now! Suzuki seems to always put guys over in the biggest events and it doesn't hurt him too much to loose here under this stipulation to The Gracie Hunter so...Prediction: Sakuraba

NEVER Openweight Championship - Tomohiro Ishii vs Togi Makabe: I'm the biggest Ishii mark and if he drops the strap to Makabe i riot! This is no reflection on Makabe who is a star and who could legit hold the title, i'd just be really pissed off! Prediction: Ishii

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - Ryusuke Taguchi vs Kenny Omega: Omega is a breath of fresh air in a bit of a stale division so it makes sense he takes the strap here and continues 'cleaning' up the division. Some great matches for Omega after this if he does so bit of a no-brainer here. Prediciton: Omega

IWGP Tag Team Championship - Bullet Club (Gallows and Anderson) vs Meiyu Tag: Goto and Shibata coud probably have been used better solo on the card here but taking the straps off Gallows and Anderson, which has been a long time coming, isn't a bad consolation prize! Prediciton: Meiyu Tag

AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito: AJ should win here to reverse the G1 Climax result, but you have to feel for Naito who has done the job for foreign/returning stars at WK's over the years, or just lost spots on the year's biggest card through injury...maybe next year son! Prediction: Styles

IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi: These guys missing each other at the G1 Climax worked out pretty perfectly as now they clash at the biggest show of the year and it's been bubbling nicely! This is the headline match on any other card, cannot wait for this. Feels right for Nakamura to drop the strap here. Prediciton: Ibushi and Match of the night!

IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada: I was pretty excited for Styles vs Okada to headline the dome show for most of the year but what after what went down at KOPW this is the consolation prize! And the continuation of the greatest feud in wrestling isn't a bad consolation prize at all! Most will tell you it's 3-3 (with 1 draw) heading into this, i subscribe to the school of thought that their 2010 match shouldn't count to that as Okada was a mid-carder at the time and the match wasn't really part of the feud. So 3-2 Okada for me, and i reckon he pulls ahead here. Tanahsahi has no need for a lengthy title reign at this stage and another draw isn't going to cut it. The Rainmaker must walk out the champ...Prediction: Okada

Edited by Christophe