The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

So many problems with the show after giving it a second shot. A couple of things make more sense, but could still have been done better.

* Too much Hulk Hogan. Yeah, I know that he's pretty much the top guy as far as turning heads goes, but I was sick of the sight of him.

* Too much Dixie Carter. She's the TNA equivalent to Linda McMahon. She has no character to her whatsoever, and shouldn't be expected to have any either, so why is she on my screen ?

* The Sting attack on Rob Van Dam makes sense because it's probably the only way the Impact Zone was gonna boo Sting, but RVD's debut should have made much more impact than it did, and this was a real missed oppertunity.

* The Angle/Anderson segment was absolutely terrible when Angle was talking, got a bit better when Anderson got the mic, and then turned into the biggest heap of shit ever when the Angle beatdown started.

* Shannon Moore is shit. Absolutely shit.

I don't know but does anyone else remember when he appeared to rape Michael Cole?

Yes, very odd stuff and probably why he didn't last long in WWE.

Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle - WWE Wrestlemania X-7

****1/4

That there is the difference between the way most people view wrestling and the way I do. I watched WM17 few weeks back fully and found this match exceedingly boring and hated it. But yet I liked the 3 way hardcore match between Kane, Raven and Big Show. As you can tell I'm not really one for watching a great technical wrestling match, but if it was an amazing match then I probably wouldnt mind it as much.

I watched Taker - HBK from last years Mania a few weeks back as well, and I actually thought it was quite good. Where as I didn't like it on first viewing last year, but maybe because that it was about 4am when I seen it then.

As good as Taker - HBK was, I'd still rather watch Goldberg vs The Giant anyday.

* STING TURNS ON HOGAN AND ABYSS ?!?! WHIT ?!?!

* Hogan in a "taking a good chair shot" shocker ! Surely we're gonna see someone come down and help the babyfaces here.

Kaz is awesome.

I just finished watching Raw then Impact myself. I thought Raw was pretty gash as per and do find it odd that Evan Bourne is the last guy in MitB. He should be in there yes, but I'm very surprised Kofi aint. For the first time I think, there aint anyone obvious that will win MitB or any Big Stars. I think it will be between Christian and MVP for who wins it or they could surprise us. But I hope not, I hope Christian wins the big one, for once.

About your points that I've quoted there:

1. It's probably about time they turn Sting heel. He aint been heel in TNA and now they have RVD and Jeff Hardy added to their already huge roster. And they aint got many big name heels in TNA, most of the big names are faces.

2. The chair shot Flair gave Hogan looked awful. Was surprised they showed it so many times. One of the worst I've seen. Although I was shocked Hogan took it without his hands being in the road.

3. Kaz is shit.

That there is the difference between the way most people view wrestling and the way I do. I watched WM17 few weeks back fully and found this match exceedingly boring and hated it. But yet I liked the 3 way hardcore match between Kane, Raven and Big Show. As you can tell I'm not really one for watching a great technical wrestling match, but if it was an amazing match then I probably wouldnt mind it as much.

The three way was good fun, but not worth much really. Just a good laugh. What's not to like about a match involving golf buggies, guys getting thrown throw windows and walls and people getting thrown off of stages ? That match was certainly good fun.

I thought Raw was pretty gash as per and do find it odd that Evan Bourne is the last guy in MitB. He should be in there yes, but I'm very surprised Kofi aint. For the first time I think, there aint anyone obvious that will win MitB or any Big Stars. I think it will be between Christian and MVP for who wins it or they could surprise us. But I hope not, I hope Christian wins the big one, for once.

I think that's why the lineup is as it is. There isn't someone there who stands out. I do hope that this doesn't mean that Kofi Kingston is gonna be lost in the midcard shuffle though. I think there's still a twist in the tale as far as the Drew McIntyre situation goes and it might well wind up involving the MitB match.

1. It's probably about time they turn Sting heel. He aint been heel in TNA and now they have RVD and Jeff Hardy added to their already huge roster. And they aint got many big name heels in TNA, most of the big names are faces.

There was probably only so much they could do with Sting as a babyface anymore anyways. So as a heel, it's all good. Plus the persona he seems to have taken has been pretty good. Complete "I don't give a f**k about you" mode from the man. Shame that it had to be RVD's debut that made it happen, but as I said, that was probably the only thing that was gonna work.

2. The chair shot Flair gave Hogan looked awful. Was surprised they showed it so many times. One of the worst I've seen. Although I was shocked Hogan took it without his hands being in the road.

Aye, watching back, it was pretty bad. :lol:

A lot more solid than most Hogan chairshots so that probably swayed me at the time. It actually looked like Flair totally fluffed the shot.

3. Kaz is shit.

LIES !

There was the time when they were pushing him as the main thing in the X Division and had absolutely amazing matches with Petey Williams and then ran Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle close in cracking matches on Impact. Suddenly he disappeared and then he became Suicide, which Hogan and Bischoff quite rightly thought was absolutely horrible. I wonder how much of a focal point he'll be though. If Shannon Moore can get into the X division, anyone can.

I just finished watching Raw then Impact myself. I thought Raw was pretty gash as per and do find it odd that Evan Bourne is the last guy in MitB. He should be in there yes, but I'm very surprised Kofi aint. For the first time I think, there aint anyone obvious that will win MitB or any Big Stars. I think it will be between Christian and MVP for who wins it or they could surprise us. But I hope not, I hope Christian wins the big one, for once.

I'm delighted that Kingston isn't in the Money in the Bank match as it means that Christian will win as no one is more credible than him. Benjamin, Ziggler and Bourne are only in there for mark out moments while Swagger hasn't done anything, Kane is too old and is a jobber, Fat Hardy doesn't have a chance while MVP has had no success as a face. I'm confident that Christian will win it as he is the most deserving individual by far out of the eight.

Also my prediction of HHH being involved in the Taker vs Michaels match may come true espcially now that the match is no disqualifcation, as it seems an odd stipulation to have if the match was going to end clean.

Its ok I found it eventually laugh.gif superb video and I actually really enjoyed the Invasion storyline to begin with

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

The first gore was brillaint. Love how the crowd shout "GORE!" as well. Wow those were the days. My favourite gore/ spears would have to be when Jericho was gored through the entrance and one Goldberg spear on Ric Steiner in a 6 man tag match with Hogan and Sting back inb WCW in 99 I think. The timing and the camera angle make it my favourite spear ever. I'll try and find it..

Was just talking to a mate about wrestling and we were talking about the good old days when we had just started watching wrestling during the 'boom' period. Got me thinking, when did you lot all see your first wrestling show on tv? and when did you start watching it all the time?

For me, I had seen WWF stuff on channel 4 etc and at mates house but never had any way of watching it properly until getting Sky. So the first full show I seen was the Raw before Summerslam 2001 on the friday night when I had just got Sky. Good times biggrin.gif

I started watching at the first ever KOTR in 94 which was Hogans last match in the WWF until 02 again. I remember watching Yokozuna defeating Hogan and Bret Hart became the first ever KOTR.

I remember watching midcarders like the Heavenly Bodies (Jimmy Del Rey and Tom Prichard), Aldo Montoya, Steven Dunn?, Moe and Mable, Mantar, Bundy, Irwin R Schiester, The Smoking Gunns (Bart and Billy), Henry Godwin all those kinda guys.

I used to watch Livewire at 5 o'clock on a weekday with my dad with either Michael Cole or that Todd guy.

Then came WCW and then came the nWo and the Sting Hogan angle. In my opinion you are not a wrestling fan if you haven't heard of or seen the Hogan Sting fued. The segments were brillaint, the crowd (always....always) went nuts when Sting appeared and combining it with Heenans legendary commentary, you couldn't say "no" to WCW. I urge any wrestling fan to look up on youtube any Sting or Hogan segment from 1997 and you will not be disapointed.

...Then came Starrcade and the BS ending. I went back to WWF and missed the Wolfpac vs Hollywood. Went back to WCW briefly in 1999 when I remember Sting and Vampiro fueding. I used to think Vampiro was pretty cool. But which almost immediately back to WWF.

Also my prediction of HHH being involved in the Taker vs Michaels match may come true espcially now that the match is no disqualifcation, as it seems an odd stipulation to have if the match was going to end clean.

They added the No DQ rule so as they could have more room to move to try and match last year since it was going to be a tough task right off the bat. They're basically gonna bump like maniacs.

I'm delighted that Kingston isn't in the Money in the Bank match as it means that Christian will win as no one is more credible than him. Benjamin, Ziggler and Bourne are only in there for mark out moments while Swagger hasn't done anything, Kane is too old and is a jobber, Fat Hardy doesn't have a chance while MVP has had no success as a face. I'm confident that Christian will win it as he is the most deserving individual by far out of the eight.

Sounds good to me. Edge v Christian for the title some time in the next year. :)

Edited by garymcc1874

I don't know but does anyone else remember when he appeared to rape Michael Cole?

Who cares... everyone hates Cole!

In the Spoiler Tags will be a real time review of TNA Impact. No PBP you'll be glad to hear. Just thoughts.

Think you are being rather harsh. While TNA have RVD and Jeff Hardy appearing on the show, there some guy over on RAW doing magic tricks and diva matches that absolutely suck. Santino has his 5 minute comedy nonsense which isnt funny by the way and then yet another promo with Sheamus and HHH, some crappy gauntley match. Raw was honking this week and TNA was an excellent show I thought with the exception of the Kurt Angle segment, kinda got bored at that point.

Car crash stuff already lol.

That may well be but its far better than RAW.

As good as Taker - HBK was, I'd still rather watch Goldberg vs The Giant anyday

3. Kaz is shit.

As would I, probably for the moment that Goldberg jackhammers the Giant, HBK's superkick is hardly the greatest move ever. Disagree with you about Kaz though. Was impressed when I saw him live but he hasn't be on TV enough.

The three way was good fun, but not worth much really. Just a good laugh. What's not to like about a match involving golf buggies, guys getting thrown throw windows and walls and people getting thrown off of stages ? That match was certainly good fun.

There was probably only so much they could do with Sting as a babyface anymore anyways. So as a heel, it's all good. Plus the persona he seems to have taken has been pretty good. Complete "I don't give a f**k about you" mode from the man. Shame that it had to be RVD's debut that made it happen, but as I said, that was probably the only thing that was gonna work.

Agree on the Kane, Raven and Show match but listening to some of the Big Show's trash talk during that match is cringeworthy.

What I would have done with Sting is have him face and keep him quiet like they did in 97 with numerous segments, eventually coming to a match between Sting and Hogan or Flair that last about 10 minutes at BFG.

Does anyone else think that Drew McIntyre will come out when all of them are down and just steal the case out of frustration ?

That would be damn funny. But that would mean Christian couldn't win it. I think they might have a thing where Vince lets Drew in MitB. Or put Drew and Kofi in there and make it a 10 way.

The timing and the camera angle make it my favourite spear ever. I'll try and find it..

I think Goldberg's best spear was on Nunzio during the 2004 Royal Rumble. It was awesome.

They added the No DQ rule so as they could have more room to move to try and match last year since it was going to be a tough task right off the bat. They're basically gonna bump like maniacs.

I think the no dq rule is there so at one point they can have HBK go fucking nuts with a steal chair. Like Austin at WM17.

I caught a bit of TNA at the weekend. Hogan just looks stupid these days with that hair. He is also still portraying a character at least 10 years out of date. Can anyone please explain why he thinks he is still relevant in the wrestling business these days?

Brother.

Because he's still the biggest name in the industry and he's exceedingly popular.

Because he's still the biggest name in the industry

He used to be. It's John Cena now, and there is a fair gap between the two. He's still a household name, but there aren't enough wrestling fans interested now for him to be considered the biggest. The 0.98 rating for Impact this week just goes to show that.

He used to be. It's John Cena now, and there is a fair gap between the two.

Well he probably is but that's because of the younger fanbase these days. Ask any person over the age of 25 to name a wrestler and most would still say Hulk Hogan, The Rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Well he probably is but that's because of the younger fanbase these days. Ask any person over the age of 25 to name a wrestler and most would still say Hulk Hogan, The Rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

That may be so, but the biggest name now is that of John Cena. Well, he is in any sense that actually matters.

Hogan probably WAS the biggest star in wrestling, after helping both WCW and WWE to be the #1 promotions in the world.

That may be so, but the biggest name now is that of John Cena. Well, he is in any sense that actually matters.

For years I hated John Cena. I liked him when he was heel in 2003 but since then I've never liked him. But in the last year or so I have started liking him more. He's stopped all his kid loving stuff, even though he still is he just is'nt a kiss ass anymore. And he's started to have much more enjoyable matches. I was surprised at how good the ironman match with Orton was in particular.

I think Goldberg's best spear was on Nunzio during the 2004 Royal Rumble. It was awesome.

The thing is, it was Nunzio who he spears.....Nunzio!huh.gif . Whereas the other spear was on Ric Steiner and he still destroys him.

For years I hated John Cena. I liked him when he was heel in 2003 but since then I've never liked him. But in the last year or so I have started liking him more. He's stopped all his kid loving stuff, even though he still is he just is'nt a kiss ass anymore. And he's started to have much more enjoyable matches. I was surprised at how good the ironman match with Orton was in particular.

John Cena still sucks in every aspect of professional wrestling. And now I wait.....

John Cena still sucks in every aspect of professional wrestling. And now I wait.....

Not every aspect. He is the best drawer of money in wrestling right now. A fairly important aspect. ;)

Believe it or not, I think Cena's gone downhill as a wrestler.

Guys like Umaga, JBL and Bobby Lashely never had better matches than they had with Cena, and it's not as if they had the opposition to do so. The only one of them guys to even have CLOSE to as good a match was Umaga with Jeff Hardy. He also took Khali and RVD to two of their best matches, or in RVD's case, best WWE matches. Not really counting that One Night Stand as an ECW and even though I have been critical of RVD's ECW work, he did have a couple of genuine classics there.