The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I didn't even enjoy WCW vs. nWo for two years. There were fueds involving nWo members that I liked, but on the whole, the majority of what nWo was doing most of the time was the shits.

You may not have but when Hogan turned heel in the summer of 96 Nitro was doing 3.1 and two years later when the nWo was splitting into 2 factions Nitro was drawing 5.5 and 6.0 on occasions so you can't say that others didnt.

Indeed. There is no arguing that it was monstrously successful and is one of the most successful angles of all time.

But I don't base my opinions on that.

Meant to post a while back about this when I first saw the advert for it;

post-12228-12876656075471_thumb.jpg

For £15 from the Silver Vision site it looks ace, especially as there are three DVDs as opposed to the usual two.

New Jericho DVD out soo as well. A sign that he's done?

I'm gonna be honest here, I was a mark for Maven when he eliminated the undertaker in the rumble.

I think everyone went apeshit for that moment. It was brilliantly done.

For £15 from the Silver Vision site it looks ace, especially as there are three DVDs as opposed to the usual two.

New Jericho DVD out soo as well. A sign that he's done?

The nWo Back in Black dvd aint that good. Nothing you wont have seen before. Most of it was covered in the Monday Night War dvd.

Jericho dvd aint a sign of anything. Its about time they done a Jericho dvd, everyone else has had one. John Morrison got one before Jericho ffs :lol:

The Jericho dvd is just a sign of WWE and Jericho wanting to make some easy cash. Is it just a WWE Jericho dvd or does it have every company that he's worked in? Not that that would affect the money WWE makes off it.

I'm pretty sure it has a good variety of stuff.

Anyways, in another sign of my slight madness, 400 quid flight tickets haven't put me off the idea of going to Reseda, California to go and see PWG in their home. The atmosphere is supposed to be utterly unreal and with the roster they have, the shows can't be anything less than incredible.

I'm pretty sure it has a good variety of stuff.

Anyways, in another sign of my slight madness, 400 quid flight tickets haven't put me off the idea of going to Reseda, California to go and see PWG in their home. The atmosphere is supposed to be utterly unreal and with the roster they have, the shows can't be anything less than incredible.

The roster looks pretty good. London, Kendricks, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Colt Cabana and the Young Bucks/Gen Me to name a few.

I desperately want to see The Young Bucks in their element. Already seen them once in the stunning Dragon Gate six man tag down in Oxford, but they were merely in showcase mode that night. The atmosphere for a proper Bucks match is something to behold.

I wasn't sure whether to make PWG a "to do" but I'm now convinced that they have reached a point where they aren't capable of a bad show. Considering they have now made Claudio Castagnoli and Ricochet regular members of the roster is even better.

PWG Kurt RussellMania

At the start of the year, there was a wrestling convention with all sorts of big names at it. PWG decided to book a show on the same weekend and have some of the guys along meaning this was PWG's most loaded card yet, at least from a "name" perspective, hence the parody of the Wrestlemania name.

Ryan Taylor, The Cutler Brothers and Christina Von Eerie vs. Johnny Goodtime, Malachi Jackson, Jerome "LTP" Robinson and Candice LaRae ( **3/4 )

Brandon Gatson vs. Brandon Bonham ( *** )

Human Tornado vs. Super Crazy ( **1/2 )

Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen ( **** )

KAI and The Great Muta vs. Scott Lost and Joey Ryan ( **1/4 )

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. El Generico ( ***1/2 )

Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs. The Young Bucks ( ***1/4 )

Rob Van Dam vs. Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero ( ***1/2 )

We have an opening promo from The Young Bucks and Brian Kendrick. The Young Bucks seem to catch onto the fact that they're over as heels early and decide to turn their attentions on Kendrick, which brings out Paul London, setting up the tag team match for later on.

Ryan Taylor, The Cutler Brothers and Christina Von Eerie vs. Johnny Goodtime, Malachi Jackson, Jerome "LTP" Robinson and Candice LaRae

This is a loaded opening match. Should be a bit mental. The match does indeed turn out to be a bit of a crazy spotfest. The match could get a bit sloppy from time to time, especially when the ladies were in there. There was some amazing stuff going on here though. There was an AMAZING Stunner/Code Red combo from Goodtime and LTP and a brilliant sequence ending in an Apron Bomb from the Cutlers. All in all, it was a good way to get the crowd into it. Not too good as to steal the show, but good enough to get them ready. **3/4

Brandon Gatson vs. Brandon Bonham

I always like watching the locals on PWG shows when they're still learning the ropes. They're never the complete article but they always seem to put on a show and these two guys were no different. They didn't mesh well at all though and seemed to have zero chemistry. There was several times when one of them would have no idea what to do, but both guys came through it and delivered a pretty good match through sheer effort alone, and that sort of thing can only be applauded. ***

Human Tornado vs. Super Crazy

And now we have our first "name" of the evening. This match comes as a result of a no-show and some on the fly booking. This won't be the last occaision on the night when this happens. It's not a very long match, and not a very interesting match either. Those Planchas are beginning to get a bit tedious. As for the story of the match, it was simple as Human Tornado was frustrated at losing his tag team title shot thanks to a no-show and looked to take it out on one of the stars of the show. Super Crazy tried to hang, but Tornado's anger shined through. Nice little match if a bit uneventful. **1/2

Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen

Thrown together match #2 of the night. This is a good mix between comedy and hard hitting wrestling. Both these guys have good chemistry so after trying to stall for the first minute, they decided to just trust what they are capable of after fueding for the best part of a year in ROH over the tag team belts. The aim seemed to be provide a more "fun" match than a great match, but in the process they wound up providing us with a cracker. Also look out for some cracking storytelling in the latter part of the match with the shoulder of Steen. Quality stuff here. ****

KAI and The Great Muta vs. Scott Lost and Joey Ryan

MUTA~~~!!! This match is more of a showcase than anything. The visual of Muta spitting the green mist in the air and having it come down over him is magnificent. Muta looked pretty good here. Better than he did when I seen him in 2002 actually. What's gone on since then ? He took his A game to the UK for a match with Martin Stone not that long ago as well. Kai looked not bad, but he didn't really have much of an oppertunity. It's a fun match and an exhibition, but nothing you need to go out of your way to see unless you're a Muta completist. **1/4

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. El Generico

If it was the Liger of the early 90s, this would have been one of the all time great matches. Really well delivered match but not quite "awesome" as the fans believed here. They meshed really well. Even about 20 years after his peak, Liger still managed to look pretty great even if his movement was pretty limited. At this point, Generico is capable of carrying my gran to a great match, so it should come as no surprise that this was always going to be good. ***1/2

Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs. The Young Bucks

This is a non-title match since London isn't a PWG regular and hasn't earned his shot at the gold. That's a fair enough reason. It's just as well this match didn't make it onto the Best of the Bucks set because it certainly didn't hit the very high standard of your usual Bucks title defence. London was definately game for something special here, but he was a little rusty as a result of what was a stop start career at this point. The Bucks aren't good enough to carry a team and therefore were left wanting at times. It's still some quality tag team wrestling though. ***1/4

Rob Van Dam vs. Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero

And here we have the main event and the "star" of the show. Someone throws a streamer in the ring mid-match which draws boos from the audience and one of the commentators to say "what a p***k". Well said. The triple threat rules allowed RVD to hide some of the rust that comes with not wrestling for yonks. He played his part though, getting in his shots and looking in good shape while doing the trademark stuff, and also bumping big to the big moves of the others. A good main event to the show. ***1/2

Well, the point of the show was never to put on great match after great match. It was a chance to get some big names out there and draw a crowd in LA and they did just that. The quality of matches was still very good though from start to finish showing that PWG even when not on top form can put on great shows.

You can find Dailymotion links ...

http://destinationwr...net/?t=36583193

Edited by DomDom

Bit disappointed to see that Kendricks and London vs Young Bucks only got a 3.25. Not had time to watch it as I'm supposed to be doing uni work but you're reviews are usually pretty astute. Maybe it would be different if it was at something like Slammiversary for the Tag Titles.

I didn't even enjoy WCW vs. nWo for two years. There were fueds involving nWo members that I liked, but on the whole, the majority of what nWo was doing most of the time was the shits.

Because I enjoy it. Not because a whole bunch of other people enjoy it. I also enjoy the likes of PWG, ICW and ROH which cater to a niche market.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Bit disappointed to see that Kendricks and London vs Young Bucks only got a 3.25. Not had time to watch it as I'm supposed to be doing uni work but you're reviews are usually pretty astute. Maybe it would be different if it was at something like Slammiversary for the Tag Titles.

Kendrick wasn't at his best at the time and London was still shaking off some rust. It was probably the worst match that the Bucks had around that time.

Decided to give Impact a watch this week. Gonna throw some thoughts in spoiler tags.

I didn't think it'd be possible for me to dislike Becky Bayless, but TNA have found a way to do so. She's a shit talker. Robbie E has potential but he can't bump for shit.

What was that stuff with Winter and Angelina Love about ? As much as it's good to see Katie Lea on TV again, I don't want to see her in rank-Z X-Files stuff.

The rest of the show ranged from fun to really good.

AJ Styles vs. The Pope was fun stuff for the most part. The interference from Abyss was a bit predictable but this stuff is just there to solidify the partnership with Fortune and Immortal. Got to wonder when the shit is going to hit the fan there.

The Jarrett stuff is riveting so far. He's looking like an absolute mentalist.

The RVD/Sabu vs. Beer Money match was okay. Not bad by any stretch at least. The stuff with EV 2.0 doesn't interest me at all though, unless it means most of them leaving.

Ultimate X played on the injury well and Kaz has really settled into that "cocky b*****d" role.

So basically, the bad stuff took up not even a tenth of the show. Not bad really. Entertaining non-stop stuff for the most part.