The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

DomDom, can I ask why you seem to give 8 stars to all of your reviews of shows?

You said ECW wasn't very good and Smackdown was belting, yet gave both the same rating?

I thought the same when he intially started doing the reviews, but that's not what the ******** is, that's just simply his way of putting an underscore before giving his final verdict.

Christ, Impact gives me a headache. Give me wrestling, not a wrestling-themed variety show.

About the only plus I can think of is that Daniels is back to his best in terms of promos and how he carries himself. For a while, he's been a generic mid-carder, so it's good to see.

Credit: PWInsider.com

There are a few more details that have come out regarding Shane McMahon's departure from WWE. Apparently, there was some sort of major argument between Vince and Shane. Shane yelled at Vince and said he was tired and had enough of his father. Shane then told Vince he was done with the company.

The word is that Shane is getting the "Randy Savage treatment" which means nobody is allowed to mention his name to Vince. He's also expected to be on the no-call list similar to Savage and Ultimate Warrior.

wow :o

I thought the same when he intially started doing the reviews, but that's not what the ******** is, that's just simply his way of putting an underscore before giving his final verdict.

Indeed.

I don't actually know why I don't just make the OVERALL bold like the other headings. Maybe I just like doing something different.

I've actually found the last couple of weeks of WWE to be pretty good, and the last PPV was absolutely magnificent. Say what you want about Orton and Cena's fued being boring ( which it is, for the record ), but when they want to put a cracking match together, they're more than capable of it, and the undercard was solid too.

TNA is fucking horrific one week and then sublime the next. I have no idea what to expect from them from week to week. This week was brilliant high action stuff. The fueds were built in a simple manor ( guys don't like each other, so they battle ! ) and some good in ring action. Also, Scott Steiner hitting on wives. :thumbsup:

Hogan going to TNA might give it a kick. The hype of his TNA debut has now gone and they're back to the usual 1.0-1.1 rating. They need to get Hogan onto TV and fast. Rumour has it that a show to go up against RAW is in the works for the new year as well.

Still waiting to see Dragon Gate's latest PPV. It has Naruki Doi vs. Bryan Danielson and what is supposed to be an absolute beauty between Shingo and Davey Richards. Cool beans.

Caught TNA on Friday on Virgin. First time I've seen it in about a year. Some of it was good, some was dreadful. Desmond Wolfe was decent but because of his awful name, he won't be a big star. The same applies to one Dolph Ziggler.

It wasn't half as bad as when he referenced Duran Duran though. "I'm hungry like the wolf.". :(

I'd have reviewed RAW, but it was so shit, I stopped watching. Only Hatton telling Jericho "You're just a guy with a bad haircut." was remotely enjoyable.

SPOILERS AHEAD

ECW on SyFy 10/11/2009

No matter how much crap is on this show, we're still getting a sterling main event so I'll have to make it to the end.

We open with the Abraham Washington show. Tony Atlas is superb here. "The people here talk funny." complete with fake laugh is superb. Yoshi Tatsu is the guest tonight. This is just basically an oppertunity for some slagging for Japanese people. Pretty disgusting opening segment.

Paul Burchill vs. Goldust

I love the kicks of Burchill. It's nice to see that Goldust is still not a bad wrestler. Horrific ending though that probably left the fans wondering what happened for Burchill to lose the match. If you're gonna do a run in ending, you need to at least do it right. A decent short match and energetic enough. *

Backstage with Zack Ryder and Rosa Mendes, and Zack clearly has plans, other than looking like a tool.

Then we have William Regal and Tiffany and Regal does some boasting about getting his title match and Tiffany does some shooting down.

Vance Archer vs. Jason Blackwell

What ?!?! This made it to TV ?!?! JACKPOT~~~!!! Jason Blackwell is Jason Rotanda, who came through the SPWA, but he hasn't been on PBW or BCW shows in a while. Shame he's about to feel the Hoyt. Archer is definately one of the better squash match guys at the moment. This is a total annihilation, which was fun to watch. Also great to see another Scottish guy on WWE TV. N/A

Christian vs. William Regal - ECW Heavyweight Championship

There's a mixed crowd for this one, which is not a big surprise to anyone really. This really did feel like a big time match. Unfortunately, the big nearfalls were far too telegraphed and therefore there wasn't really a feeling that the match was going to be over. Christian breaks out the Sliding Elbow which is weird to see, but cool too. Could and probably should have been much better, but it's still good. ***1/2

OVERALL

Other than the main event, hardly anything happened. Vance Archer squashed someone again and nothing was developed in the opening segment either. Just treading water untill the main event, which was pretty good, but other than that, this isn't worth anything.

Hattons performance was shite. He was so deadpan, everything he said sounded so fake and forced.

He looked relly nervous in the opening segment, but I get what you mean. It sounded like he was reading his lines off cue cards. He's no natural on the mic or acting for that matter that's for sure.

I thought he seemed KINDA natural when The Big Show and Chris Jericho went down to the ring. I think it was probably because he didn't have to talk to the audience. He was clearly shitting himself.

Good arrows in the backstage area though. Fans quite liked that bullseye.

The Best of the World Heavyweight Championship Disc 1

This will only be the matches, as per usual.

Buddy Rogers vs. Pat O'Connor - June 1961

This will now be the oldest wrestling match I've ever seen, so I really hope that we get the whole thing. If you can stand the pace of this thing, you might enjoy it. The first fall is really messy and just hasn't aged well, but the match REALLY settles down for the second fall and we begin to get the two guys telling a story. Lots of stuff from Rogers that Ric Flair would go on to take, including the "Whoo !", the strut and the Figure Four Leglock, but Flair didn't really hint that he was doing different, as he also took the "Nature Boy" name. This is a bit much to take, and it hasn't aged well, but at the time it might have been good. **1/4

We get some clipped stuff which I absolutely do not approve of. We do get this match next though.

Ric Flair vs. Magnum TA - AWA Superclash 28/09/1985

"I bet Ric Flair monograms his socks."

:lol:

Right, having seen these two guys have a cracker of a 10 minute match on the WCW DVD, I'm really excited to see what these two guys can come up with when they're given a bit of time, which I'm assuming they'll get. The crowd for this is a bit iffy because of it basically being not even a quarter filled baseball stadium. This is almost formula stuff for Ric Flair at this stage, which wasn't really needed against someone of the obvious talents of Magnum TA. It DOES ensure a pretty good match though. The only guy this didn't work with is Junkyard Dog. ***1/2

Ric Flair vs. Sting - WCW Great American Bash 1990

Another Flair match ? I guess he did hold the title for quite some time around this time so it's understandable that he features. If you've seen one match with these two guys, you've seen them all. The matches these two guys were all the same, which would be alright if that match was good, but it's not. It's just really tedious stuff and I can't help but think that I'm not missing out by not looking out their Clash of the Champions match. If I can't enjoy these guys for 20 minutes, what's the chances I'm going to enjoy it for 45 minutes ? **

Indeed.

The highlight of Raw on Monday was finding out that Roddy Piper will be the Guest Host next week at MSG.

We can only hope that the Jericho thing gets brought up. I like a bit of continuity. I can see it being The Big Show vs. Chris Jericho actually.

Caught an episode of that Hulk Hogan's CCW last night on Viva. I believe it aired last year in American and Dennis Rodman won it (no suprise if he did seeing as he's apparently Hogan's buddy and has obviously had some training before for his dismal WCW performances). What a steaming pile of shite it was! It amused me that Brian Knobbs and Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake (or one of his million other gimmicks) were made out to be massive stars of wrestling when really they were terrible with Beefcake being an exceptionally pathetic failure riding only on the coattails of Hogan.

Anyway, it's pish. And that Bonaduce lad looks like DDP.