Livingston - all the threads merged

28 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah he hasn't, Martindale was planning to play him in a friendly but it didn't happen because SA didn't let him travel to Scotland.

Here's the bit i was talking about earlier, he's in on a Tourist Visa.

Teto played in a friendly last Tuesday apparently, according to Callum Carson anyway. Allegedly missed a penalty as well :D 

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Teto played in a friendly last Tuesday apparently, according to Callum Carson anyway. Allegedly missed a penalty as well :D 

Awright, didn't even know we had played one last week, wonder who against and how he got on.

Looking back in the pen shoot outs from a couple of seasons back, Shinnie has scored 3, only player not to have missed one that's still here from everyone that's taken any. Montano scored one, then missed one, Sibbs missed 2, Obileye has scored a few, but then missed about 4, Sean Kelly is about 50/50 with his record of taking them. So Stephen Kelly or Shinnie would be my choices for our next one. Or Maybe Nottingham has a thunderfeck of a shot on him and would be good at taking them.

Oh and Holt's scored a couple and also missed a few.

Just don't let Obileye or Holt near another pen kick.

Article saying Anderson is our 7th player to have missed in less than 2 years. From memory our hall of famers of missed pens in that period would be.

Obileye.

Sean Kelly.

Holt.

N Devlin.

M Devlin.

Nouble.

Anderson.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Article saying Anderson is our 7th player to have missed in less than 2 years. From memory our hall of famers of missed pens in that period would be.

Obileye.

Sean Kelly.

Holt.

N Devlin.

M Devlin.

Nouble.

Anderson.

To be fair I don't think Mick's counts as it was a penalty shootout, the replacement would be Esma's miss v Hibs on that dreadful night

Getting a bit fed up of these Martindale interviews now. I can understand downplaying expectation so we're not all fuming at missing out on top 6 - but there isn't that expectation in the first place after how we ended last season. I should be sitting here excited for the season ahead with us winning our LC group unbeaten, some decent signings being made, our longest run in the top flight. Instead I'm reading another article about him wanting to be at a bigger club with a bigger budget and that we're probably getting relegated and that "66% of the season will be shite".

He'll obviously be saying completely different things behind closed doors but it's hardly going to have locals/neutrals interested in coming to support the team. Bit of a positive spin on things would be nice, managed it while being the underdogs in our first couple of seasons.

Happy Wednesday

Edited by LiviLion

7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Getting a bit fed up of these Martindale interviews now. I can understand downplaying expectation so we're not all fuming at missing out on top 6 - but there isn't that expectation in the first place after how we ended last season. I should be sitting here excited for the season ahead with us winning our LC group unbeaten, some decent signings being made, our longest run in the top flight. Instead I'm reading another article about him wanting to be at a bigger club with a bigger budget and that we're probably getting relegated and that "66% of the season will be shite".

He'll obviously be saying completely different things behind closed doors but it's hardly going to have locals/neutrals interested in coming to support the team. Bit of a positive spin on things would be nice, managed it while being the underdogs in our first couple of seasons.

Happy Wednesday

He's only reacting to a line of questioning. Personally I find his honesty very refreshing in a world where football managers tend to spout stock answers from "Football Manager Press Conferences For Dummies". Him coming out and saying it'll be tough but he still expects us to compete well is no worse than most other managers in our situation tend to allude to and if he came out and said "we're some side, gonna split the old firm this season for sure" he'd be a laughing stock. He's not sitting there saying "we're doomed, hopefully ross county come down with us as it's a great away day for the fans"

Think we're all going into the league campaign with feelings of trepidation, after the way we finished the season, with that goalless losing away streak. Topped off with the announcement of us having to make cuts to our playing budget, and big players all rumoured to be leaving.

However things are looking a lot brighter than expected, the likes of Devlin and Fitzwater leaving isn't as big a blow as it may have been, if we hadn't had that bad run of form towards the end of the season, conceding 2 and 3 goals a game, it then became a necessity to refreshen our defence and have a rebuild, which we've done, and bringing in an experienced defender like M Devlin looks an upgrade. Nouble and Anderson are still here too, so no loss in attack, Guthrie may actually have some use, going by his cup game performances, and St Kelly is looking even better than last season. So it's looking a lot brighter than we all feared going into the league opener.

There is still some apprehension about facing Premiership opposition, it's hard to shake that dark cloud from our piss poor end of season form, and there is a mixture of new season excitement and fear from the memory of last season's poor ending going into the Aberdeen game. I think a good defensive showing, no matter the result, will go a long way to lifting our spirits.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

He's only reacting to a line of questioning. Personally I find his honesty very refreshing in a world where football managers tend to spout stock answers from "Football Manager Press Conferences For Dummies". Him coming out and saying it'll be tough but he still expects us to compete well is no worse than most other managers in our situation tend to allude to and if he came out and said "we're some side, gonna split the old firm this season for sure" he'd be a laughing stock. He's not sitting there saying "we're doomed, hopefully ross county come down with us as it's a great away day for the fans"

He's getting that questioning because he's constantly talking about his budget though. I'm all for honesty, and until recently have loved listening to everything he's had to say, but there's a nice place in between "we'll try and win the league" and "we'll probably get relegated so what's the point." He's been pretty vocal about us not having as many fans as others in the league; market the excitement of the season instead of downplaying us so much.

As I said, I imagine a large part of it is getting us back to proper 'underdog' status and make it abundantly clear that anything above 11th is very good for us, possibly make us underestimated like we were in our first season.

Main thing to note here is I'm a miserable fucker :lol: It's just at a point where my eyes roll into the back of my head when I see an article out because I know exactly what's in it. Just need the league football to start, and everything to be fine after we hammer Aberdeen by 5 clear goals.

Anyway, keeping everyone to one position:

GK: George, Hamilton

LWB: Montano, Penrice
LCB: Boyes, Parkes
CB: Devlin, Obileye
RCB: de Lucas, Nottingham, Ledingham
RWB: Brandon, Welch-Hayes

CM: Shinnie, Sangare
CM: Holt, Kelly, Bitsindou

CAM: Nouble, Pittman, Bahamboula
CAM: Kelly, Bradley

ST: Anderson, Guthrie, Goncalves

Ledingham in italics because he isn't old enough to drink. I'd say we're in decent shape, enough depth to put out a second team which could probably still grind out the odd result:

George

Nottingham  -  Devlin  -  Boyes

Brandon  -  Holt  -  Shinnie  -  Montano

Kelly  -  Nouble

Anderson

Even ignoring the fact that Penrice is probably more likely to start at RWB than Brandon, team below still hasn't included Bahamboula (or Teto but we have no idea what he's like)

Hamilton

de Lucas  -  Obileye  -  Parkes

Welch-Hayes  -  Kelly  -  Sangare  -  Penrice

Bradley  -  Pittman

Guthrie

FWIW I reckon Welch-Hayes and Ledingham will be out on loan before August is done, and we'll probably see Goncalves and Bitsindou leave too. Which would hopefully allow us to bring in another striker and/or right wing back.

I get both sides of the argument

Martindale's clearly trying to downplay expectations, however it's not exactly news to Livi fans or enticing to the neutral to hear this. 

However, there seems to be a growing number of folk within the fanbase that expect us to "push on"  without realising that, for a club our size, 5th/6th/7th/8th place finishes are the top of the mountain. Those finishes were based on the talents of players who are no longer at the club (and went on to play internationally), and the expectation that Livi can repeat or better this seems crazy. Personally, there's plenty of areas the clubs improved on over the past 5/6 years. The re-introduction of the Youth Academy, the creation of a women's team set-up across ages, the improvement in the media teams' output are all examples of pushing on  while in the Premiership, but only if you look beyond the final placing or points total. There's also plenty to improve (fan representation in decisions, wheelchair/disability access and support etc) that benefits from being a Premiership team. 

There's a rotten entitlement among a minority of the fanbase that's developed. They decided they were getting a 4th place finish last season then shat the bed when they didn't get it. As if there's not other teams in the league also competing equally as hard. It's either newcomers or its the return of those folk who used to call everyone happy clappers after the first Prem relegation then fucked off for a decade while we were in the lower leagues. They think they're big tough guys with their "demand better" shite that just turns into booing a specific player or yelling at Martindale they're going to batter him. One of them posts on here using all his alias accounts. That's what these comments are about. Trying to reason with those idiots. Martindale hears their shouts on a Saturday.

On 01/08/2023 at 02:55, ATLIS said:

To be fair I don't think Mick's counts as it was a penalty shootout, the replacement would be Esma's miss v Hibs on that dreadful night

Is Esma out injured he does not seem to have featured this season. 

Wonder if he would fancy a loan move to League 1.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

He's been advised to find a new club as he's not going to appear in the first team this season.

If you want him you can have him but I suspect Marvin's far too shrewd for that. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

We're trying to get him off the wage bill, he's been told to find another club as he doesn't feature in Martindale's plans for the season.