Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

image.thumb.png.cf6e007ec1b937ac481061db7c6652e5.png
I was just basing my post on what Martindale had said about it, maybe a fee involved too but that'd seem like overkill.

His contract there expired this Summer anyway, so youd assume it was pennies.

8 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

I see there is a thread on here now,for every Livi hating melt to pour out their sexual frustration onto .

Happened last year with St Johnstone and I think there was one for Ross County - its the P&B way.

2 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Happened last year with St Johnstone and I think there was one for Ross County - its the P&B way.

It's a zero sum game so we all pile on the weakest of our rivals when it looks like they're in trouble, nothing in particular against Livi but I'll be happy to see them finish in 12th.

3 hours ago, btb said:

It's a zero sum game so we all pile on the weakest of our rivals when it looks like they're in trouble, nothing in particular against Livi but I'll be happy to see them finish in 12th.

Understood - actually some of the posts can be quite witty; interspersed by fishers and one or two bampots.

7 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

I see there is a thread on here now,for every Livi hating melt to pour out their sexual frustration onto .

Nah, not really. Its just the same Dundee fan who made one about St Johnstone and now some Edinburgh snobs have joined in.

With that Motherwell match, Martindale bemoaned individual player failures in his review but he got his tactics wrong. We started in the usual 3-4-2-1 with the defence like this:

Screenshot2024-01-0111_00_11PM.png.568dfc5763cc3aaa97a9b9950d5d118f.png

Martindale said he wasn't comfortable with this as it left us man for man at the back - our three centre backs against their three forwards then our wing backs matched with theirs. Being man for man leaves no room for losing that individual battle. We saw that when Motherwell had the early chance where Gent got away from Montano then crossed for Biereth who Devlin had let go. That convinced Martindale to use an extra player defensively. He switched to a 4-4-1-1, moving Notthingham to right back, Montano up to right mid, Penrice to left back and Nouble to left mid. It went very badly. The back four ended up like this:

Screenshot2024-01-0111_01_42PM.png.8f224cff9e3778d9df919533e0c55197.png

Penrice was still pushing high from left back which is to be expected as he's an attack-minded player. That was leaving a huge space in our left channel which Bair sprinted into for both his goals. Devlin didn't have the pace to cover over. Martindale should've known that would happen and used a more defensive option at left back. Montano would've been a better candidate and Penrice could've been moved to right mid in the 4-4-1-1 or even just up to left mid with Nouble put on the right.

Tactics mean nothing if you don't have decent players to begin with. Most of the Livi players are not good enough, it's  that simple, that's  why they are getting relegated, some people on here just don't  see the problems I'll give you an example SHINNE- slow he can't  run 5 yards , easily knocked  of the ball, disappears then is finally subbed.

PITTMAN- you can't  fault  him for his work rate ,but has terrible ball control ,he can't run any distance with a ball without panicking  and losing  it, then hacks trying to get it back, his passing is erratic 

You'll  wait and wait and wait, but it is a fact Nouble is burnt out, and it doesn't  matter where he's told too play,  he'll do very little.

HOLT is ok in patches, but only appears  in the  opposition  half when the game is lost

GUTHRIE, his work rate is fine, his ball control is bad, very rarely  has a shot on target ,brings nothing to the attack .

SEAN KELLY -never the standard to begin with

DEVLIN -is not as good as you'se  all think

Nottingham - does very little

Obileye - has concentration  issues, that can cost you points

Penrice's  a good player going forward ,his final ball needs worked on.

Montano - too me is always played  in the wrong position ,not effective sitting back at left back,very injury prone off late

Sangare - very lazy, strolls about doing nothing, invisible ...

Parks- probably  the biggest waste of money, and no pace for a defender ,wages for nothing

Freedom Farter  what midfielders are going too get the ball moving quick attacking at pace and getting shots away ,you seem well clued on tactics,

Martindale recruitment has seen money squandered  on rejects. I wouldn't give him anymore

Edited by Scrutinizer

2 hours ago, Scrutinizer said:

Martindale recruitment has seen money squandered  on rejects. I wouldn't give him anymore

This 👆

This has been overlooked i feel. Given his club role it doesn't come across as it's a collective approach to recruiting new players. Even the Tete signing the other day he says comes with good references so here we are again another risk signing. Why not send a scout / coaching team member to go and have a look st him? 

Clearly Tete has scored goals but not at the rate Livi needs them so this will be risk signing while the club is on a difficult league position thus putting more pressure on him to score.   

Martindale made 3 big decisions today but crucially missed the 4th which would have probably gotten us at least a point from the game. 

1. George dropped for Hamilton. Hamilton's kicking wasn't great but the defence looked more assured and he made a good save against Forrest at the end. Not super different from the 2nd Bair goal on Saturday where George fell on his arse and made it easy for him. Please please stick with him after the break.

2. Nouble dropped. Might be coincidence but that was our best start to a game all season. We looked so much better than we had been. When Nouble came on at the end, he was further forward (needs to stop fucking around at the edge of the 18 yard box and get closer to the byeline) and showed some improvement.

3. Going to a genuine attacking formation with back 4 as we chased the game. The 5 had looked better than it has all season but I thought we looked much more threatening. 

The fourth decision was probably the most difficult to make but should have happened after the shambles on Saturday. I don't know if it's confidence or if he's physically struggling but Michael Devlin was so easy to play against as soon as Hearts realised how slow he is. After the horrific penalty he gave away, Martindale should have brought De Lucas on against Vargas' pace but he didn't learn and we went (I think) undeservedly 1 down. Second goal looked like a nice bit of play on first viewing.

Even in defeat, I think that was the best we've looked all season. It's a team clearly low on confidence but we were unlucky to lose. Give me a performance like that any day as opposed to the timid display we served up against St. Johnstone in getting a point. 

Other positives included Shinnie and Bradley making me look like a clown from my comments from last week - both were effective in the middle of the park. I thought Tete looked promising in his debut and I think he will work well with Guthrie or Anderson (not both as per the end of the game which ruined our momentum). Guthrie again caused problems for the opposition. 

Yes, it's another loss but that performance should genuinely give us something to build on (should we continue to pick the majority of correct players) rather than the displays that Martindale has praised in recent months. We really need to beat Dundee and Ross County at home after the break but with that game and a chance to reset, I think we're in a much better position to do that than at any time since our winless run began.

16 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Even in defeat, I think that was the best we've looked all season. It's a team clearly low on confidence but we were unlucky to lose.

Every week our opposition are unlucky to get beat. It's almost like we deserve to win.

11 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Every week our opposition are unlucky to get beat. It's almost like we deserve to win.

And the only reason you played poorly was due to the pitch, ribht? If I remember rightly, the 1-0 at Tynecastle was scintillating stuff. 

29 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Martindale made 3 big decisions today but crucially missed the 4th which would have probably gotten us at least a point from the game. 

1. George dropped for Hamilton. Hamilton's kicking wasn't great but the defence looked more assured and he made a good save against Forrest at the end. Not super different from the 2nd Bair goal on Saturday where George fell on his arse and made it easy for him. Please please stick with him after the break.

2. Nouble dropped. Might be coincidence but that was our best start to a game all season. We looked so much better than we had been. When Nouble came on at the end, he was further forward (needs to stop fucking around at the edge of the 18 yard box and get closer to the byeline) and showed some improvement.

3. Going to a genuine attacking formation with back 4 as we chased the game. The 5 had looked better than it has all season but I thought we looked much more threatening. 

The fourth decision was probably the most difficult to make but should have happened after the shambles on Saturday. I don't know if it's confidence or if he's physically struggling but Michael Devlin was so easy to play against as soon as Hearts realised how slow he is. After the horrific penalty he gave away, Martindale should have brought De Lucas on against Vargas' pace but he didn't learn and we went (I think) undeservedly 1 down. Second goal looked like a nice bit of play on first viewing.

Even in defeat, I think that was the best we've looked all season. It's a team clearly low on confidence but we were unlucky to lose. Give me a performance like that any day as opposed to the timid display we served up against St. Johnstone in getting a point. 

Other positives included Shinnie and Bradley making me look like a clown from my comments from last week - both were effective in the middle of the park. I thought Tete looked promising in his debut and I think he will work well with Guthrie or Anderson (not both as per the end of the game which ruined our momentum). Guthrie again caused problems for the opposition. 

Yes, it's another loss but that performance should genuinely give us something to build on (should we continue to pick the majority of correct players) rather than the displays that Martindale has praised in recent months. We really need to beat Dundee and Ross County at home after the break but with that game and a chance to reset, I think we're in a much better position to do that than at any time since our winless run began.

This sort of sensible talk will do you no good on a forum of this sort 😂

i think we could potentially file Nottinghams shot from 6 yards (?) which Clark saved with his feet as unlucky as it looks to have fallen marginally behind him. Unlucky not to go ahead aswell as we have created a good opening only for, seemingly, Guthrie’s bum to be offside.

Actually thought we played well today. Devlin looks like he’s not up for a fight though. 

I can get behind Martindale if we’re like that every week, a bit of fight and passion finally 

Just realised Dan Mackay was in the squad today. That's a big boost as he has genuine pace that will cause issues for other teams.

He simply must get first team minutes when fully fit. Stop fucking around and playing him in stupid reserve games like the one he got injured in. There are more than enough young players or bench fillers that make little impact that can play in those.