Livingston - all the threads merged

Results in pre-season are completely irrelevant. Main thing is building match fitness and getting up to speed for the real stuff starting, in fact most teams even seem to use the LC group stages as an extended pre-season.

Another thing is making sure players are understanding the system and tactics. Speaking of which, as I haven't been able to get to any of these games, what has our formation/style looked like? Still 3 at the back and lumping it up to no one or something a bit more exciting?

38 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Results in pre-season are completely irrelevant. Main thing is building match fitness and getting up to speed for the real stuff starting, in fact most teams even seem to use the LC group stages as an extended pre-season.

Another thing is making sure players are understanding the system and tactics. Speaking of which, as I haven't been able to get to any of these games, what has our formation/style looked like? Still 3 at the back and lumping it up to no one or something a bit more exciting?

Totally agree re results and it’s about getting fitness and building connections with all the new players etc. Not really worried or anything. Just disappointed with how few attacking chances we created today is all.

Looked like a back three in the games so far with wingbacks but others will be better qualified than me to comment on the formations

59 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

You'd make a good politician confidence breads confidence. Taking your theory if we lose every pre season game then thats alright 🥴

notwithstanding its a new team Livingston should have much more in their tank (even pre season) to be creating much, much more than they did today.

18 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Is Andy Winter still on trial with you? 

Good question! He might have been one of the trialist subs. He looked really good in the two previous trial games tbf. Would be surprised if we didn’t want to sign him after those performances.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Whereas I agree; having seen all three friendlies so far I'm still in the dark with regard to tactics. We were okay (bordering goodish) for the last ten minutes. Liam Sole showed some promise.

Typical pre season style match. Thought Nottingham looked comfortable for most and Green looked effective when he came on. Nice to see the youth player Culbert come on and he done well too, was very direct and positive.

I make it 15 players out and 9 players in over the summer so always going to take some time to get used to new style and tactics.

winter was one of the subbies that came on late in the second half 

Tough game with pretty strong winds meaning both teams struggled. 

Positives:

1) I don't think George had anything to do. Nottingham and the Brighton centre back (I think Ben Jackson) did pretty well dealing with them.

2) Looked more threatening when Andy Winter was subbed on. He's probably worth signing.

3) Thought Culbert played well when he came on. Made a positive pass that led to the best chance of the match.

Negatives

1) Didn't really get a sense of what we were trying to do tactically when we got into the final third. Reminded me of last season. I wouldn't have minded if we were trying things that didn't come off, it just seemed a bit panicked and rushed.

2) Not sure Muirhead is a winger despite the claims to the contrary.

3) I fear Pittman is on his last legs. Hope he can up it as he just seemed to be slowing things down when we were trying to break.

4) Still no sign of Donnellan meaning we're currently running very low on centre backs. Montano is a genuine attacking asset, we can't waste him at left centre back.

Overall, a fun day in the sun despite the boring game. Fair play to the young ultras for being noisy and flying their flag.

9 hours ago, CharlieWhisky said:

its nice to have gone three games without losing tbf. Must have been a while since that happened.

Sure we had a run of 9 or ten games last season where we only lost one i think but not losing games is defo a good habit

good to see George back in goals. He will comfortably be the best gk in the champ if he doesn’t leave before the end of the window 

Friendlies are a hutch of pish.

Wouldn't waste my money on them,players going thru the motions etc etc

Nothing to take out of any of them,bar building players fitness,players getting used to each other and trying out different formations.

But as a spectacle it's dreadful....

All will be revealed how ready or what the new players are like come the competitive games.

Edited by Dav nan Gael