Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I honestly thought he looked fairly shite with us whenever he’d played. He was at fault for a number of goals due to comedy defending, then got shipped out on loan when it was clear he wasn’t good enough. 

He was meant to have a bit of pedigree, youth caps and Liverpool youth but I didn’t see much to think he’d go on to do much 

I though he did okay and was better than a lot of what we had playing in defense but, then again, that's not saying a lot unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

I though he did okay and was better than a lot of what we had playing in defense but, then again, that's not saying a lot unfortunately.

I thought the Australian lad Cancar looked better than him. Boyes seemed to misjudge so many headers and get caught out of position too often. If we had the finances to keep young guys like him at the club to develop then he'd definitely be one of the future but wasn't good enough at the time

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I thought the Australian lad Cancar looked better than him. Boyes seemed to misjudge so many headers and get caught out of position too often. If we had the finances to keep young guys like him at the club to develop then he'd definitely be one of the future but wasn't good enough at the time

Yep, was caught out too often with balls over the top, looking like Bambi on ice. Dunno if he'd have been worse than what we had last season right enough, Devlin was also shite, and slow too.

Might've developed a bit at ICT but then they were relegated playing in this division.

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He did make 35 appearances for us so he got a chance, I just don't think he was at the levels required and didn't develop into the player he could've been given his obvious pedigree. He's not exactly one I would've been happy to see the club offering a new deal.

Aye neither is Nottingham but we've still got him here this season. Tbf Nottingham might be ok in a level below, he's looked ok in the pre season games, but was shite with us in the Premiership. Boyes has played at this level with ICT, but they were relegated from this division, so don't know what that says about Boyes, we had players i'd say were still good enough to play in the Premiership, none of them were in defence though.

32 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He did make 35 appearances for us so he got a chance, I just don't think he was at the levels required and didn't develop into the player he could've been given his obvious pedigree. He's not exactly one I would've been happy to see the club offering a new deal.

Agreed Atlis.As I say,perhaps he's found his level.👍.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I thought the Australian lad Cancar looked better than him. 

Phillip Cancar was the boy that nearly got sent off against Rangers within the first 20 minutes and got substituted soon after wasn't he?

From what I do recall of him he showed promise but never seemed to get played and was released after a few months before returning to Oz. 

4 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

Never got a chance with us under Martindale. Decent defender.Had one or two ahead of him at Livi.Suspect hel do a job for yous.

Never got a chance? How many games did he play? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 50!

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Morgan boyes signed for us, looked good for us in today’s friendly how would yous rate him?

He was fine. Never quite gave me (or the manager) the confidence he was ready to be first choice but he got loads of games for us and seemed to do okay at Inverness. Personally would have taken him for a year in the Championship but writing was on the wall when he went out on loan despite our defence being honking last season. 

29 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Never got a chance? How many games did he play? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 50!

19 starts and 13 sub appearances in 2 full seasons with the club. I'd say, that's not getting much of a chance with 32 games played in 2 years.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Phillip Cancar was the boy that nearly got sent off against Rangers within the first 20 minutes and got substituted soon after wasn't he?

From what I do recall of him he showed promise but never seemed to get played and was released after a few months before returning to Oz. 

thats the lad...from what I heard, he struggled to settle away from his family

4 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

19 starts and 13 sub appearances in 2 full seasons with the club. I'd say, that's not getting much of a chance with 32 games played in 2 years.

If 32 chances isn’t enough, how many games do we need to offer players in the top flight before we can judge if they’re good enough?

1 hour ago, LogieLivi said:

I'm sure he also missed a chunk of his time due to injury

9 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Morgan boyes signed for us, looked good for us in today’s friendly how would yous rate him?

Good if playing a high line as he has ample recovery pace. Good on the ball and with his passing. A weakness was he wasn't commanding enough and therefore less suited to a deep defence. Playing him centre back in a 4 you'd want to pair him with a big brute stopper type for balance. He also makes a good defensive left back in a 4 and his best position is probably left of a three.

9 hours ago, CharlieWhisky said:

If 32 chances isn’t enough, how many games do we need to offer players in the top flight before we can judge if they’re good enough?

Again, he really only had 19 chances.

13 subs were 80+mins into games. 

Don't think you can impress much in less than 10 mins as a centre half.

2 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Again, he really only had 19 chances.

13 subs were 80+mins into games. 

Don't think you can impress much in less than 10 mins as a centre half.

His big chance could've been last season right enough, with how many injuries we had in defence, and the amount of players playing as CB's, but looked like he was sickened off with Martindale and just wanted away on loan to get regular games. I'd have had Boyes over Devlin, but that's with hindsight, and Boyes wasn't to know there would've been more opportunity for him getting games with us. 

I remember Donaldson being similar, and he seems to have done well enough at other teams, currently playing for Falkirk.

Boyes was not physical or savvy enough to make it at Premiership level at the time. He got bullied and caught under long balls/crosses frequently so I have no issues with Martindale initially loaning him out last season. I think there were comments on here suggesting issues with his commitment, missing games through 'illness'. That said, I agree Liviforever, he would have almost certainly done a better job than Devlin over the season.

He impressed me with Inverness last season and looked decent as a trialist last night. A left footed centre back who is comfortable on the ball is exactly what we needed.

judging him on his ability to play at this level based on ICT being relegated last season doesn’t actually stack up considering they had the second best defence in the entire league last season and still managed to go down. 

21 minutes ago, port-ton said:

He impressed me with Inverness last season and looked decent as a trialist last night. A left footed centre back who is comfortable on the ball is exactly what we needed.

judging him on his ability to play at this level based on ICT being relegated last season doesn’t actually stack up considering they had the second best defence in the entire league last season and still managed to go down. 

Aye you can't always judge a player being shite just because they were in a relegated team, our midfield was decent, when we actually played it through midfield and not just lumping the ball over their heads, and we had decent front players, but again the way we used them, playing a target man and lumping high balls to him, didn't help any, and the fact a couple of them have joined Hearts and Killie shows they're held in high regard by others too. But our defence was terrible, and i'm happy we've got rid of almost all of them. 

You did ask Livi fans their opinions on Boyes though, and he didn't really impress playing for us, and as has been said, made a lot of mistakes leading to goals. ICT is prob the best place to judge him, and he seems to have done well there.