Livingston - all the threads merged

50 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He might be a good signing at this level, always a nuisance that runs about a lot, but wasn't scoring goals in the top flight, might do in the Championship.

He scored 9 in the top flight in 22/23, then never really played last season.

Levein just never fancied him once he came in, then after signing Kimpioka and Sidibeh in January I'm not sure he ever actually played up front again, he was mostly on the left.

Just now, ecocme said:

How’s Reece McAlear getting on for you guys. I had high hopes for him when we had him on loan last year but didn’t really do it at all for us. 

Yeah Ayr fans have slagged him off to us a fair bit, saying how shite he is. Bit soon to tell yet but haven't noticed him sticking out as being shite, so that's something.

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah Ayr fans have slagged him off to us a fair bit, saying how shite he is. Bit soon to tell yet but haven't noticed him sticking out as being shite, so that's something.

Yeah he was more than decent for Inverness at this level previously. Sometimes January signings don’t work though, not sure if it was a fitness or attitude thing with us. Not the first time we’ve signed players with a decent pedigree and turned them shite though and then when they go elsewhere they’re decent again. 

With Stevie May my fear would be  Martindale will play him up front by himself and then launch high balls up in his direction , then scream and shout at him.Definitely a player who needs to play off another striker, never going to happen at Livi.

7 minutes ago, ecocme said:

How’s Reece McAlear getting on for you guys. I had high hopes for him when we had him on loan last year but didn’t really do it at all for us. 

Looks to just be a back up atm, tends to come off the bench (started against Cove and Spartans in the LC, in the league he got 10 mins v Dunfermline and 15 v Queen's Park)

Hovering around the 'okay' mark so far; not moaning about him being shit, not screaming for him to be starting, hopefully see him kick on a bit more.

18 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I wouldn't mind us signing him, i like his playing style, good movement and puts pressure on defenders, add goals to that (which he should at this level) and you've got a good striker, which we're missing just now.

Sounds very much like Bruce Anderson and we all know how often he got a game.

10 minutes ago, livilion53 said:

Sounds very much like Bruce Anderson and we all know how often he got a game.

Yeah similar playing styles, good mobility and pressures defenders, don't think we've been as guilty as playing the long high ball this season though. We do really need a goal scoring striker still, Yengi wont score much more than 4 or 5 goals. He's more suited to setting them up for someone else.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah similar playing styles, good mobility and pressures defenders, don't think we've been as guilty as playing the long high ball this season though. We do really need a goal scoring striker still, Yengi wont score much more than 4 or 5 goals. He's more suited to setting them up for someone else.

Muirhead and Yengi either side of May could be wonderous

Would have to have a major turnaround,as opposed to the last few years where he's virtually done he haw.But we do need an experienced striker to bolster us up front if we are to seriously challenge at the top end of the table.Look at Ayr and Falkirk, offensively miles ahead of us.

12 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

Would have to have a major turnaround,as opposed to the last few years where he's virtually done he haw

Still not sure this is fair...

23/24 - 1239 mins - 1 goal/2 assists

22/23 - 2885 mins - 10 goals/7 assists

21/22 - 1564 mins - 3 goals/1 assist

20/21 - 2313 mins - 10 goals/7 assists

19/20 - 1894 mins - 7 goals/3 assists 

He plays regularly he generally contributes well. In 21/22 he was in a horrendous Davidson side that didn't bother attacking, then last season as said Levein never fancied him and never played him up front.

Leveins confirmed this morning he's joining you on loan, FWIW.

I will say this, May scored a hat-trick against us for Hamilton in 2013(?) from then on I'd always wanted us to sign him. Just didn't know that'd come to fruition when he's 31. Hoping it works out for us both, he's certainly experienced anyway which was something we were lacking up top.

I'm hoping this is a Lee Miller style signing rather than a Tony Stokes style signing for older players.

May signing suggests Winter probably hasn't quite convinced Martindale. Korboa is an early candidate for a January departure as he'll be lucky to get a look in at all now. Even Smith has a real battle on his hands to keep himself in the picture following May's arrival.

May will bring "line-breaking" potential out wide. The ability to run beyond the centre forward due to both his pace and his ability to time his runs. He's similar to Muirhead in that respect, both looking to finish more than to create chances from a wide starting position.

Another option is to play May at centre forward and move Yengi wide. Martindale used Yengi wide a few times at the end of last season and I didn't think it worked all that well but this is a different team this year in a different league so it could work now.

I'm not worried about May's goal return. A successful attack is about getting the right blend and as long as somebody is scoring and May is contributing, I'll be happy.

Edited by Freedom Farter

8 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Potentially a really good partnership to be made with May and Yengi, 50/50 if Martindale does it properly. 

If you mean in a front two then that's possible but I'd be surprised. With three centre mids (in a 4-3-3), Sole can station himself higher and wider, which is where you want him. With only two centre mids (in a 4-4-2) that would pull him narrower and deeper. There's also that you can more easily get May, Yengi and Muirhead on the pitch together in a 4-3-3 than you can in a 4-4-2. I think our midfielders are also better suited to a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2.

Edit: I'm certain we'll see a 4-4-2 shape in some situations where Kelly will go to left mid. It's not that much of a transition from the default 4-3-3 and slightly changing shape in and out of possession often creates a hybrid system anyway. We probably won't see a defined front two partnership, though, like Miller and Hardie with the 3-5-2 in the 17/18 season.

Edited by Freedom Farter

14 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

If you mean in a front two then that's possible but I'd be surprised. With three centre mids (in a 4-3-3), Sole can station himself higher and wider, which is where you want him. With only two centre mids (in a 4-4-2) that would pull him narrower and deeper. There's also that you can more easily get May, Yengi and Muirhead on the pitch together in a 4-3-3 than you can in a 4-4-2. I think our midfielders are also better suited to a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2.

Edit: I'm certain we'll see a 4-4-2 shape in some situations where Kelly will go to left mid. It's not that much of a transition from the default 4-3-3 and slightly changing shape in and out of possession often creates a hybrid system anyway. We probably won't see a defined front two partnership, though, like Miller and Hardie with the 3-5-2 in the 17/18 season.

Still as a 4-3-3 was my main thinking, but I think Yengi has looked a bit isolated at times which is some going seeing as we are actually attacking more this season. Ideally we could get some kind of fluidity that would allow May/Yengi to drift more central together with one of the 3 midfielders filling the gap out wide if needed, even if just to protect against a counter. Almost like a transition into a 4-2-4, just less ridiculous than that sounds.

Martindale also likes his lopsided formations with one of the "wingers" actually playing more central, when the likes of Shinnie or Kelly are in that position for example, but the other alternative is just that he sees them both as the lone striker and will ensure we've always got one of them to bring off the bench.

Either way, quite excited to see how he does. 

it's not just the impact of him as a player but hopefully guys like Yengi and Winter can learn from his experience...even the younger lads who are out on loan will still be training with us and could learn from him. I remember when we had John Hartson involved as a volunteer striker coach and we definitely saw some benefit from that

Not sure i get as excited as some others on Stevie May signing. I do hope he works out though for the sake of the team

If he was as good as some others have said he'd have been in a struggling Saints team

Keep seeing others say it "what else he brings" what is this interested to know

19 minutes ago, Livi said:

Not sure i get as excited as some others on Stevie May signing. I do hope he works out though for the sake of the team

If he was as good as some others have said he'd have been in a struggling Saints team

Keep seeing others say it "what else he brings" what is this interested to know

Not as exciting for you as a court case for sure. 🖐️

BIB. Like Anderson was in a struggling Livi team last season.

May scored 10 and 7 assists the season before, but Levein doesn't fancy him.

Remember Hughes punting Bobby Barr out to East Fife because he had the temerity to run up the pitch and score without passing, twice, in a win against Falkirk. Can be all sorts of reasons managers don't want players. 

I'd say what else he brings is a wealth of experience he can pass on to others, and it help us on the pitch too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER