Livingston - all the threads merged

13 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Rankine's spidey senses will have been going into overdrive when the sniff of cash for Dykes sell on was on the cards, court case incoming to try and get his hands on it.

I am sure the hearing is soon that determines costs awarded to Rankine & Hogarth for recent cases is imminent that could be 6 figures. Time will tell

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Undoubtedly a good keeper but just not worked out how I hoped he would. 

Take whatever they are offering and run. 

Prior would be a suitable replacement and then we just need a new back up. 

I think he looks like a good goalkeeper, not sure he actually is one though. 

Cut our losses and move on, been a bad move for both parties. 

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Undoubtedly a good keeper but just not worked out how I hoped he would. 

Take whatever they are offering and run. 

Prior would be a suitable replacement and then we just need a new back up. 

18 minutes ago, KingKachloul said:

I think he looks like a good goalkeeper, not sure he actually is one though. 

Cut our losses and move on, been a bad move for both parties. 

Think he's looked better in games this season, had a lot on his mind with his mum being ill last season though. Don't think we've had the goalkeeping coaches with the level needed to progress him either right enough, our GK coach left and Maley took over, and the best level he played at was a one off Premiership game with us, and was playing junior football before joining Livi.

15 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Think he's looked better in games this season, had a lot on his mind with his mum being ill last season though. Don't think we've had the goalkeeping coaches with the level needed to progress him either right enough, our GK coach left and Maley took over, and the best level he played at was a one off Premiership game with us, and was playing junior football before joining Livi.

Agreed the coaching thing was a shambles. No wonder the regression really. 

Interested to see what Prior can do, you’d have thought he might have been signed with Shamal leaving in mind. 

I logged on after seeing Lyndon had moved to Brum. I can’t remember if the sell on clause was a straight percentage…..or a percentage of any profit over what QPR had paid us. I’ve seen both in the past. If it’s the latter then there will be nowt coming our way….huge hope it’s a straight percentage of the sale fee!

Edited by Snooky

7 hours ago, KingKachloul said:

Interested to see what Prior can do, you’d have thought he might have been signed with Shamal leaving in mind. 

I believe that was the intention. The club were exploring the possibility of Shamal leaving last season to allow him to be closer to his family with his mum being ill. Shows the mark of the lad that he's stayed to honour his contract and has improved this season. His performances last season won't have been helped by his personal circumstances or the constantly changing (and constantly shite) backline we had. I'd be disappointed to see him go but keen to see what Prior can do. 

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think we've had the goalkeeping coaches with the level needed to progress him

This has been a huge issue for me. Was mental to pay money for Shamal but then not invest in him further. He's been through a lot and if he wants to be down south for family reasons then that's absolutely fair enough. 

With Prior's background I thought it was odd that he'd come in and be happy to be a back up. Hopefully we find a competent youngster to be his new backup.

Re Dykes 

1 I’m sure it would have been a profit percentage 

2 I’m also sure it would have had an expiry date in line with the length of the first contract he signed with QPR

Re Shamal

Not really bothered if he leaves, just depends if Prior is any good.

Shamal's a good keeper. Had a poor last season but think that's understandable given his personal circumstances, and the absolute f**king jobbies that were "defending" in front of him.

Prior was signed to take over with Shamal wanting to go back down to be closer to his family, so a half decent backup in on loan would probably do and I'm sure Martindale has got a wee list as Shamal leaving this window was probably always planned.

Edited by LiviLion

11 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I've no idea if Maley was a good coach or not but I never understand the above thinking... What level did Jose Mourinho play at? What about Brendan Rodgers? There are plenty of examples of folk who never played at the top level being successful coaches. No idea how good a coach Maley was but his playing career should not determine if he is/was a good coach or not.

5 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

I've no idea if Maley was a good coach or not but I never understand the above thinking... What level did Jose Mourinho play at? What about Brendan Rodgers? There are plenty of examples of folk who never played at the top level being successful coaches. No idea how good a coach Maley was but his playing career should not determine if he is/was a good coach or not.

Well you get experience from having been coached by quality GK coaches at bigger clubs, and have the experience you've gained from playing at higher levels too, a bit like having someone like May playing with us, and can pass on tips to younger strikers at our club. Also doubt Maley has the coaching qualifications needed to bring Shamal on, was at Livi as a cheap back up and helped out around the club. 

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Well you get experience from having been coached by quality GK coaches at bigger clubs, and have the experience you've gained from playing at higher levels too, a bit like having someone like May playing with us, and can pass on tips to younger strikers at our club. Also doubt Maley has the coaching qualifications needed to bring Shamal on, was at Livi as a cheap back up and helped out around the club. 

Of course, playing at a higher level can be a benefit but playing and coaching are not the same thing. What was the playing career of Brendan Rodgers like? Jose Mourinho? The new Aberdeen boss? Equally, Wayne Rooney's managerial career compared to his playing career? Edgar Davids?

Just now, TAFKAC said:

Of course, playing at a higher level can be a benefit but playing and coaching are not the same thing. What was the playing career of Brendan Rodgers like? Jose Mourinho? The new Aberdeen boss? Equally, Wayne Rooney's managerial career compared to his playing career? Edgar Davids?

I mean we're not talking about someone who has done his coaching badges and wants to make a career in GK coaching.

Also you're using well known successful managers against failed ex player managers (i'm sure there'll be plenty failed managers/coaches with little or no experience playing at a higher level too), which again is apples and oranges to a GK coach, there's a lot more responsibility as a manager/coach, duty wise and overall responsibilities at a club. A GK coach has one duty, coaching GK's. We had a GK coach, one you'd say was qualified to do the job, but he left for another club, we replaced him with Maley, who was here as back up keeper with no higher level experience playing or coaching, we really should've advertised for a proper GK coach for Shamal to work with.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

55 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I mean we're not talking about someone who has done his coaching badges and wants to make a career in GK coaching.

We're talking about (if we are being honest) jobs for the boys scenario here

1 hour ago, Livi said:

We're talking about (if we are being honest) jobs for the boys scenario here

Managers can only bring in colleagues they know. Like Maley, Martindale also knew Pittman from his time at Broxburn. Possibly the best signing in the club's history. Hastings was brought back from Gala because Martindale knew him from previously at Livi. Our coaching staff are constantly poached away such as the former goalkeeping coach, successive assistant managers and our former head of youth. It's not always a bad thing to grow someone into the role from a lower starting point. Developing your own coaches rather than getting those with an already high profile from their playing days can make it less likely they'll be poached.

15 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Managers can only bring in colleagues they know. Like Maley, Martindale also knew Pittman from his time at Broxburn. Possibly the best signing in the club's history. Hastings was brought back from Gala because Martindale knew him from previously at Livi. Our coaching staff are constantly poached away such as the former goalkeeping coach, successive assistant managers and our former head of youth. It's not always a bad thing to grow someone into the role from a lower starting point. Developing your own coaches rather than getting those with an already high profile from their playing days can make it less likely they'll be poached.

That would be fine if they do their coaching badges (like Martindale did) and were intending doing the job as a career and not just a side line/hobby. We're a professional club and were in the top flight at the time, a bit tin pot not bothering to fill the vacated position of a GK coach. Maley would've been fine short term as a filler, but not as a permanent replacement. Don't think we've even got a GK coach since Maley left the club either.

Also downside of it is nobody wants to poach them for a reason, but we've always been a selling club, or a stepping stone to bigger clubs, it's one of the selling points Martindale uses to recruit players.