Livingston - all the threads merged

43 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That would be fine if they do their coaching badges (like Martindale did) and were intending doing the job as a career and not just a side line/hobby. We're a professional club and were in the top flight at the time, a bit tin pot not bothering to fill the vacated position of a GK coach. Maley would've been fine short term as a filler, but not as a permanent replacement. Don't think we've even got a GK coach since Maley left the club either.

Also downside of it is nobody wants to poach them for a reason, but we've always been a selling club, or a stepping stone to bigger clubs, it's one of the selling points Martindale uses to recruit players.  

If you keep losing your coaching staff I can see why you'd just want someone you can trust to stay and provide stability. Each time a Liam Fox, Tony Caig, Marvin Bartley or Dougie Imrie randomly leaves that takes up valuable bandwidth trying to source a replacement that you'd rather spend focusing on preparing the team for the next match, player recruitment, training, etc.

I've always rated George which possibly puts me in the slight minority among Livi fans, going by opinions I've read here. I also don't think his form dipped as dramatically as some thought last season. 

He signed for us as a 24 year old not an 18 year old. He wasn't coming to Livi to develop from coaching. He came to advance his career. To play on a bigger stage against Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, in the hope that if both he and Livi performed well he'd attract suitors.

That we seemingly don't now have a goalkeeping coach shouldn't be a problem. George is now 26 and Prior is 29. They know what they're doing and probably coach each other some of the time in training.

Edited by Freedom Farter

24 is still pretty young for a keeper, they generally have longer careers than outfield players, and have plenty developing still to do at that age. The Woman's team has a GK coach so wonder why the Men's don't.

Prior is a bit older and will have been coached at his other clubs before joining us, so he's a good bit ahead of Shamal in that respect, looks comfortable with the ball at his feet dealing with pass backs too, something Shamal needs to work on, and his kicking is good.

Even our outfield players comment on still having a lot to learn when moving to bigger clubs, that demand more from them, so can imagine how much Shamal will need to learn still with having hardly any coaching development at Livi.

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

If you keep losing your coaching staff I can see why you'd just want someone you can trust to stay and provide stability. Each time a Liam Fox, Tony Caig, Marvin Bartley or Dougie Imrie randomly leaves that takes up valuable bandwidth trying to source a replacement that you'd rather spend focusing on preparing the team for the next match, player recruitment, training, etc.

Not sure having someone that seems a safe bet to hang around is a good thing,  anyone with ambition will want to move on from being an assistant or one of the coaching staff under the main coach, that's the nature of the game, you're good at your job and you'll move to a bigger club. Or one that is giving you a step up from what you're doing at your present club, like managing in your own right.

Only person that has broken that pattern is Pitts, he's had the chance to move to bigger clubs but stuck with Livi, that's very rare for a club our size.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

I've always rated George which possibly puts me in the slight minority among Livi fans, going by opinions I've read here. I also don't think his form dipped as dramatically as some thought last season. 

He signed for us as a 24 year old not an 18 year old. He wasn't coming to Livi to develop from coaching. He came to advance his career. To play on a bigger stage against Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, in the hope that if both he and Livi performed well he'd attract suitors.

That we seemingly don't now have a goalkeeping coach shouldn't be a problem. George is now 26 and Prior is 29. They know what they're doing and probably coach each other some of the time in training.

Completely agree, I think Shamal is one of those where we don't appreciate what we have until he's gone. He's excellent with cross balls, decent distribution and an above average shot-stopper. For the first few months of his time here he was arguably the best keeper in the country outside of the OF. Yes he had a fall-off due to personal issues, but he's been solid for the last couple of months of last season and had a good start to this one. He's faaaarrrr too good for the Scottish Championship.

Prior, I haven't seen yet, but if he's even in that ballpark he'll be a great signing for us. He has a good pedigree, so I can't imagine he came here to sit on the bench.

We got a goalkeeping coach in, in exchange for Bradley going to Hamilton did we not? 

IMO Shamal is okay, not a massive loss. He's not as good as a Liam Kelly, Sarkic or Stryjek but he's better than a McCrorie or McGovern. I'm hoping the experience Prior has of playing Ligue 1 football and other football at a decent level will be enough for him to succeed at this level.

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

We got a goalkeeping coach in, in exchange for Bradley going to Hamilton did we not? 

IMO Shamal is okay, not a massive loss. He's not as good as a Liam Kelly, Sarkic or Stryjek but he's better than a McCrorie or McGovern. I'm hoping the experience Prior has of playing Ligue 1 football and other football at a decent level will be enough for him to succeed at this level.

That rings a bell yep.

Can see Prior being like Sarkic with his distribution, and setting up counter attacks from quick kicks up the pitch. Hopefully he's as good in the GK side too.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That rings a bell yep.

Can see Prior being like Sarkic with his distribution, and setting up counter attacks from quick kicks up the pitch. Hopefully he's as good in the GK side too.

Heard Prior's distribution being likened to as "Broto-esque"

Make of that what you will

On 30/08/2024 at 08:44, EdinburghLivi said:

Guess Shamal's on the way out. Shame. Never fully fulfilled his potential here, but he'll go and have a decent career

Any other expected movement today? 

Edited by thruthenight

3 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Heard Prior's distribution being likened to as "Broto-esque"

Make of that what you will

Yeah i only saw him against Alloa in a friendly but was impressed with his distribution, and how good he was with the ball at his feet. Took a pass back under pressure and dribbled it past the attacker like he was an outfield player. Gives you heart palpitations seeing a keeper doing that right enough, but he was very confident looking and made it look easy. His kicking was also very accurate. Can't remember it being like Broto's right enough, that sideways kick Broto did, keeping the ball low, but it was good.

2 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Guess Shamal's on the way out. Shame. Never fully fulfilled his potential here, but he'll go and have a decent career

Any other expected movement today? Carson's the obvious one, probably a couple of others

Aye Welch-Hayes would be as well moving on, never been near the team this season.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Jason Holt still the same Jason Holt I remember?

Tremendous player for us,one of the better ones for us and a leader.Had a relegation clause in his contract that allowed him to leave.Sadly missed.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Jason Holt still the same Jason Holt I remember?

Was always among our top three best performing players at any one time. He even rivalled Pittman for fan appreciation. Defensively, his positioning and ball winning are excellent. In possession, his touch and passing are very reliable. He also has good movement, always making himself available to his teammates. I used to think he was like Mascherano for us.