Livingston - all the threads merged

So what would happen then? Winner of HL/LL play off straight up?

Would be the most likely scenario , I went looking through the spfl rules a couple of weeks back when a similar question was asked re rangers and couldn't find anything about how they would replace a member club if required. It should be something written clearly in the rulebook given what happened when rangers went bust.

http://www.livingstonfc.co.uk/news/news_20151209_1.php

Reads to me like they know they are fucked.

Going by that brief statement I would think the only thing they could do would be for the other directors to buy Rankine's shares to overcome the duel ownership. You would still expect them to get some penalty for the offence from the SPFL.

Would be the most likely scenario , I went looking through the spfl rules a couple of weeks back when a similar question was asked re rangers and couldn't find anything about how they would replace a member club if required. It should be something written clearly in the rulebook given what happened when rangers went bust.

Suppose if it did come to the extreme and they did get expelled the only sensible solution would be to promote the winners of the HL/LL play off final. I would agree that they should have something in the rules to clarify such things.

Going by that brief statement I would think the only thing they could do would be for the other directors to buy Rankine's shares to overcome the duel ownership. You would still expect them to get some penalty for the offence from the SPFL.

15 point's and £5000 fine

As I understand it, they will be punished by the SFA and if they don't sort the share ownership out by the 13th, they will be punished even more. Then the SPFL still have to hit them and this time I think it will be goodnight Vienna for Livi.

I'd imagine if Livi do get nuked then they'll give Elgin a reprieve and it'll be a straight shoot out between Edinburgh City and whoever wins the Highland League for the place.

Hard to feel sorry for Livi as it seeing as it is a plastic team in crap new town ran by an assortment of chancers over the years, but there is some sympathy for the fans that tried to make it work even if they have been very naive in continuing to let these people in the door.

At least it gives them a chance to finally build a proper club from the ground up rather than trying to get to a level out with their means. If they can get away from Almondvale that could be a start.

Almondvale is by a distance the best of the "new build" stadiums in the league. It's an excellent ground.

i like it for all the fond memories there but it isn't really a suitable stadium for Livi's size as well as probably not being the cheapest to operate.

I'm a bit surprised at this verdict, and I really don't know what the punishment or response is likely to be.

On the one hand the SFA do have to take action about dual interests, particularly in the context of the Mike Ashley / Rangers thing. On the other hand I've heard no suggestion that the actual running or the integrity of either club has been compromised as a result, so it's provided Livingston can get it resolved before the next hearing it's possible it may be viewed as essentially a technical offence.

I really don't know how to call it. Livingston are probably knackered this season anyway, so they could be given a further points deduction without it actually mattering much.

Don't want to see livi disappear want them to have a league team with the caveat that they can only ever be part-time as its clear they don't have the fan base to be a full-time team. IMHO it's chasing FT football that has seen livi fail time after time. Be the biggest part time team be content with that then if you can run it properly for say 20 years then the league can look at again.

Don't want to see livi disappear want them to have a league team with the caveat that they can only ever be part-time as its clear they don't have the fan base to be a full-time team. IMHO it's chasing FT football that has seen livi fail time after time. Be the biggest part time team be content with that then if you can run it properly for say 20 years then the league can look at again.

Yes, Livi deserve another shot at it.

I'm a bit surprised at this verdict, and I really don't know what the punishment or response is likely to be.

On the one hand the SFA do have to take action about dual interests, particularly in the context of the Mike Ashley / Rangers thing. On the other hand I've heard no suggestion that the actual running or the integrity of either club has been compromised as a result, so it's provided Livingston can get it resolved before the next hearing it's possible it may be viewed as essentially a technical offence.

I really don't know how to call it. Livingston are probably knackered this season anyway, so they could be given a further points deduction without it actually mattering much.

I would say this is more serious that the Mike Ashley/Rangers scenario. Rangers and Newcastle are playing in two different countries and would only meet in a competitive game in European competition. The chances of Livingston and East Fife meeting in either league or cup games is more likely and therefore a conflict of interest so I would class it a lot more than a technical issue!

I would say this is more serious that the Mike Ashley/Rangers scenario. Rangers and Newcastle are playing in two different countries and would only meet in a competitive game in European competition. The chances of Livingston and East Fife meeting in either league or cup games is more likely and therefore a conflict of interest so I would class it a lot more than a technical issue!

The prospect of the clubs meeting is far from being the only possibility of how the arrangement might affect the integrity or autonomy of the club.

But I take your general point that it happening within the same country is probably more serious. I didn't so much mean to compare the two situations in respect of their seriousness as to note that the existence of a more high-profile case in which they've (so far) been sticking to their guns might focus their minds on making sure they need to be seen to deal with another situation that's come to light.

The prospect of the clubs meeting is far from being the only possibility of how the arrangement might affect the integrity or autonomy of the club.

But I take your general point that it happening within the same country is probably more serious. I didn't so much mean to compare the two situations in respect of their seriousness as to note that the existence of a more high-profile case in which they've (so far) been sticking to their guns might focus their minds on making sure they need to be seen to deal with another situation that's come to light.

Whilst I agree up to a point about the two situations being similar there is the small matter of article 13. Basically you need to gain permission to have dual interests. This was done in the Mike Ashley and Rangers case (although the conditions might not have been followed). As far as I am aware there was no permission asked for or given in the Rankine/ Livi/ East Fife case.