Livingston - all the threads merged

18 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

And week 5 in 2021/22 but that's maybe a bit early into the season.

Yeah, only 4 losses on the card - early doors. So after tomorrow it will inevitably be 5 in a row. What's the likelihood we'll pull it together for St Mirren park? A draw will do us nicely, as that single point will put Livi above RC (Killie should win their game) and this weekend can just be another statistic for future bovril posts... 

1 hour ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

That was fast...I stand corrected. Accies bottom the week after.

Same season we finished fifth, so perhaps lightning may strike twice? 

Hope so but I don't think we have the forward talents that we had that season (Odin Bailey tearing it up for Stockport today) or the bravery to set up in such an attacking way. Results aside, it's been a slog to watch so far this season and I'm not convinced the defence is good enough to grind out wins/draws.

1 hour ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

Yeah, only 4 losses on the card - early doors. So after tomorrow it will inevitably be 5 in a row. What's the likelihood we'll pull it together for St Mirren park? A draw will do us nicely, as that single point will put Livi above RC (Killie should win their game) and this weekend can just be another statistic for future bovril posts... 

I'm not positive about those games, if we can scramble 1 or 2 points in November that would be great. December fixtures look kinder for us but I think we'll have to change approach to take advantage. 

Really important we stay in the league this year with the clear off field issues.  Also hope I'm wrong about McIlvogue but if I'm not, I can't help feeling that our best option in the medium-term is that the takeover falls through, any debts to Rankine are paid off ASAP then we get consumed into some multi-club network if the league votes to change its dual-ownership rules.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

So after all your aclumative assertions what do you think we should do.Just give up?.Or do what we've had to do for the last six years and despite all the shite upstairs downstairs, which has been extatic for the detractors for personna scetically assumed for the welfare of our club.Im ready to drop down as are one or two of my fellow supporters. Till then got to believe we can continue to punch above our weight Again.First time in 6 years.Im genuinely worried. But wherever we end up,il be there.

11 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

So after all your aclumative assertions what do you think we should do.Just give up?.Or do what we've had to do for the last six years and despite all the shite upstairs downstairs, which has been extatic for the detractors for personna scetically assumed for the welfare of our club.Im ready to drop down as are one or two of my fellow supporters. Till then got to believe we can continue to punch above our weight Again.First time in 6 years.Im genuinely worried. But wherever we end up,il be there.

The diehards have been through it all, seen the team playing in every division, as long as we've a club, we'll be there supporting the team wherever they play. Hopefully stay up a few seasons more to help get our finances a bit more stable though, this league is where the money is, and where our stadium pays dividends, particularly the cheeks filling it right up.

Still think we'll come out of December looking good, having Obileye and Montano playing will make a big difference, defensively and in attack.  Think we'd go back to a back 3, allowing us to set up more offensively too.

8 minutes ago, Livi said:

Serious question - See when Martindale says in pre match interview he spoke to the board - who does he mean? 

the new guy is not a director (officially) so does he just speak to Ward only? 

He spoke to his first port of call which is Dave Black...he even mentioned Dave's name in regards to the story during the week

24 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

He spoke to his first port of call which is Dave Black...he even mentioned Dave's name in regards to the story during the week

Do we really think CEO is the board and the CEO really decides what money Livi spends in todays climate.

i  hear there may have been a fee involved for Rice to Alloa.

To be fair a far better performance today from all across the park and on the bench,we never looked overawed at any time bar a dodgy 10 mins in the 1st half .

2nd half was actually half decent from us and if Brucey had got more on his header,we could have made them sweat more.

The Goal drought is a concern however as that's another game with no goal from open play.

But like a few of the guys have been saying as long as we have a football club to follow that's all that matters even if it is in the Championship. 

Which for the size of our club,that's probably oor level.

25 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

To be fair a far better performance today from all across the park and on the bench,we never looked overawed at any time bar a dodgy 10 mins in the 1st half .

2nd half was actually half decent from us and if Brucey had got more on his header,we could have made them sweat more.

The Goal drought is a concern however as that's another game with no goal from open play.

But like a few of the guys have been saying as long as we have a football club to follow that's all that matters even if it is in the Championship. 

Bravo re having a club to support no matter what league we are in

5 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Keep the faith, we'll see where we are after December's fixtures are played. Got a few 6 pointers in there too, Ross County @ home, St Johnstone @ home, Motherwell away. Seven games, a massive month for us.

On 11/11/2023 at 20:22, EdinburghLivi said:

Hope so but I don't think we have the forward talents that we had that season (Odin Bailey tearing it up for Stockport today) or the bravery to set up in such an attacking way. Results aside, it's been a slog to watch so far this season and I'm not convinced the defence is good enough to grind out wins/draws.

Nouble offers similar quality to Forrest and Bailey but probably none of Mackay, Bradley or Stephen Kelly quite do yet. We're looking for either Shinnie or Sangare to try and emulate Omeonga from that season. Then we're hoping Michael Devlin and Nottingham (or possibly De Lucas) can be how Fitzwater and Nicky Devlin were for us that year. So the options we're working with this season are definitely less of a sure thing than they were back then. Yet there's potential with the players we have now and its still early enough in the season for them to step up to the plate. The good news is that Obileye, Penrice, Montano, Holt, Pittman and Anderson are still here from the team that season. Then we've upgraded our keeper since then, George for Stryjek.

5 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Nouble offers similar quality to Forrest and Bailey but probably none of Mackay, Bradley or Stephen Kelly quite do yet. We're looking for either Shinnie or Sangare to try and emulate Omeonga from that season. Then we're hoping Michael Devlin and Nottingham (or possibly De Lucas) can be how Fitzwater and Nicky Devlin were for us that year. So the options we're working with this season are definitely less of a sure thing than they were back then. Yet there's potential with the players we have now and its still early enough in the season for them to step up to the plate. The good news is that Obileye, Penrice, Montano, Holt, Pittman and Anderson are still here from the team that season. Then we've upgraded our keeper since then, George for Stryjek.

Eh? Shamal is a big downgrade on Stryjek. Shamal can barely hold onto a ball. 

Just so I'm not blindly throwing things out there, here's a 1Y chart of Opta's scoring system for Shamal:
image.thumb.png.e1ef7b18cd4e2855422005748964c74d.png
image.png.afe26163b1177a08b10c0a570942071b.png

and here's Stryjek's one for his time with us:

image.thumb.png.757434ba47761c0a30fd1acff6ef0c83.png
image.png.760fc9a9b99516c6ea5eac3bd170105d.png

Stryjek was far more influential for us, by some distance. There's an argument to be made about the defences in front of both but still

Edited by ATLIS

58 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Eh? Shamal is a big downgrade on Stryjek. Shamal can barely hold onto a ball. 

Just so I'm not blindly throwing things out there, here's a 1Y chart of Opta's scoring system for Shamal:
image.thumb.png.e1ef7b18cd4e2855422005748964c74d.png
image.png.afe26163b1177a08b10c0a570942071b.png

and here's Stryjek's one for his time with us:

image.thumb.png.757434ba47761c0a30fd1acff6ef0c83.png
image.png.760fc9a9b99516c6ea5eac3bd170105d.png

Stryjek was far more influential for us, by some distance. There's an argument to be made about the defences in front of both but still

Shamal isn't as clanger prone as Stryjek but seems to make less of the impressive saves that Max did. I'll always remember the top bin save Max made against the rangers to save us a point

I'd agree with the above - Stryjek made more wonder saves however also had more clangers (Hibs away, ICT in the cup etc) His kicking was also much worse, as he'd regularly end up smashing the ball with no height towards an attacker 

George doesn't make the same number of wonder saves, however also doesn't make as many massively glaring errors (minus a couple of challenges outside the box) He definitely could do better with a few efforts, however he's also playing in front of a worse and ever changing defence

Edited by The Wrong Car

16 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Off the top of my head I would've said Shamal has had a fair few big mistakes leading to goals. His handling is very poor and spills a lot of shots to strikers

Agreed, and there's been plenty of goals he could do better with. However he's not yet started to let comedy goals like Stryjek away to Hibs in. 

I liked Max as a keeper, however he struggled to displace one of the worst keepers in recent times in Robbie McCrorie, then never really kept any consistency after that when he was undisputed Number 1. On his day he was fantastic, however many Livi fans seem to view his spell in goal with rose-tinted glasses on. 

29 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Agreed, and there's been plenty of goals he could do better with. However he's not yet started to let comedy goals like Stryjek away to Hibs in. 

I liked Max as a keeper, however he struggled to displace one of the worst keepers in recent times in Robbie McCrorie, then never really kept any consistency after that when he was undisputed Number 1. On his day he was fantastic, however many Livi fans seem to view his spell in goal with rose-tinted glasses on. 

Agreed. Stryjek definitely got decent support after his wondersaves, but for every great save he made there were 3 clangers just waiting. Shamal also has a much better presence when coming for crosses IMO. 

Shamal is definitely on a downswing though. After he arrived, I genuinely thought he'd be here for 18 months and sold for 1m+, but as of right now we'd be lucky to make our money back. Not sure if it's a confidence thing, but he seems to be a worse keeper now than a year ago.