Livingston - all the threads merged

17 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I don’t normally read too much into post match interviews, from any manager. They’re usually full of cliches like “go again next week” or some other guff. Over the couple of post match interviews I’ve seen this evening though, Martindale has said that he’s taking responsibility, whilst at the same time blaming “individual errors”. 

I’ve deliberately kept my thoughts on him to myself since he came into the club. I didn’t go over the top with praise for him when we were in the top 6, whilst at the same time admitting that getting us there was an incredible feat. I’ll admit that for me, it’s a personal thing. I don’t like his character, his (alleged) man management methods I can’t stand, and his criminal past repulses me. He didn’t make mistakes - his crimes were deliberate and calculated. I’m aware that I might sound petty or narrow minded in that view but frankly, after today, I don’t give a shit. 

That he is still in post is a joke. I know why though - it’s because he’s in control of the lot. Only thing is, he’s in control of something that is wildly out of control. 

He never made excuses about that though, and has done a few interviews saying he wasn't caught up in a bad crowd, he was the bad crowd. Haven't seen any interview when he made any excuses about it, or blamed someone else for being arrested and going to jail. Also made apologies to victims and their families for his drug dealing, and the consequences it had.

On his management though, i've tried hanging in there backing him for all he's done for the club, and the successful seasons we've had getting promoted, and staying up 6 seasons, even this season, as relegation was inevitable for us at some point, but i have been annoyed on more than a few occasions by his team selection, and player positioning, and stubbornness to stick with it far too long. It has def cost us this season.

We've a big job ahead assembling a team for the Championship next season, people will lose their jobs as finances will be smaller, and players wont want to stick around taking a wage cut, he's done wonders before on that score though, so would be happy if he took up the DoF job, but i really don't think he can do the job we need as our manager.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

No point typing this all out again. He needs to walk. 

We all said the same about Hoppy when we were relegated to L One right enough, i agree with you but you never know. His managerial decisions have bugged me this season, not playing Brandon, MacKay, Anderson etc in the first half of the season, instead messing about with players playing out of their natural positions, even now Anderson just can't get regular games.

One thing for sure though, next season is going to need a massive rebuild, there'll be a lot of players leaving, and some that we need to move on too, that just haven't been good enough. We also need to get this off field shite resolved, so all our focus will be on the on field job that needs done.

This boy is on twitter tonight having a general go at  Livi fans who dare to question the club.

If i am right he gets weekly free tickets to Livi matches yet he's having a go at the paying punter #funnynotfunny

IMG_1210.jpeg

46 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

would be happy if he took up the DoF job

Sourced another belter in Yengi. He definitely has a talent for recruitment. The shite signings have mostly been these excessive squad fillers he likes having as a manager. If he was DoF, you'd hope a different manager wouldn't be requesting/sanctioning those squad filler signings.

Just now, Freedom Farter said:

Sourced another belter in Yengi. He definitely has a talent for recruitment. The shite signings have mostly been these excessive squad fillers he likes having as a manager. If he was DoF, you'd hope a different manager wouldn't be requesting/sanctioning those squad filler signings.

Please no. He needs to leave Livi full stop.

4 minutes ago, Livi said:

This boy is on twitter tonight having a general go at  Livi fans who dare to question the club.

If i am right he gets weekly free tickets to Livi matches yet he's having a go at the paying punter #funnynotfunny

IMG_1210.jpeg

Hastie’s a total fucking clown

Just now, CharlieWhisky said:

Hastie’s a total fucking clown

When all this breaks (which it will) we will see if people like him hang around and continue to have a go at the paying fans.

47 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He never made excuses about that though, and has done a few interviews saying he wasn't caught up in a bad crowd, he was the bad crowd. Haven't seen any interview when he made any excuses about it, or blamed someone else for being arrested and going to jail. Also made apologies to victims and their families for his drug dealing, and the consequences it had.

On his management though, i've tried hanging in there backing him for all he's done for the club, and the successful seasons we've had getting promoted, and staying up 6 seasons, even this season, as relegation was inevitable for us at some point, but i have been annoyed on more than a few occasions by his team selection, and player positioning, and stubbornness to stick with it far too long. It has def cost us this season.

We've a big job ahead assembling a team for the Championship next season, people will lose their jobs as finances will be smaller, and players wont want to stick around taking a wage cut, he's done wonders before on that score though, so would be happy if he took up the DoF job, but i really don't think he can do the job we need as our manager.

I never once said that he’d made excuses for his crimes, but seeing as you’ve framed it that way, I’ve read numerous articles where it’s said that he turned to a life of crime to make up for losses he suffered when a boozer that he ran was burnt down and uninsured. So he blamed circumstance there. 

5 minutes ago, Livi said:

When all this breaks (which it will) we will see if people like him hang around and continue to have a go at the paying fans.

Expecting him to start posting here under a pseudonym defending DM and JW imminently 

Just now, mozam76 said:

I never once said that he’d made excuses for his crimes, but seeing as you’ve framed it that way, I’ve read numerous articles where it’s said that he turned to a life of crime to make up for losses he suffered when a boozer that he ran was burnt down and uninsured. So he blamed circumstance there. 

Whatever his reasons, he's still owned it, said he didn't think about how it affected his victims and their families, and made an apology for it. I don't think you should hold his past against him now, for a pile on weighing in on his poor managerial job this season, when he took responsibility for it and made good on being rehabilitated. 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

JWARD.JPG

Don't let the random accounts on here fool you, don't let them steal the club and steal the future from the club. RHS want to run the club dry and walk away. 

2 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Expecting him to start posting here under a pseudonym defending DM and JW imminently 

He has lost the plot over on X. Comparing a football club to Asda and it looks like he knows everything about how much Livi FC's bills are in the cost of Living crisis - funny

7 minutes ago, Livi said:

He will hang around, and he’d be within his rights to have a go at people, whether he is right or wrong. He loves the club and hates it being denigrated by opposing fans or our own. He backed Massone quite publicly back in the day, and was ridiculed, but is still there now. I think he’s wrong to have a go at fans (paying or not), but I respect his right to have a go. 

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Whatever his reasons, he's still owned it, said he didn't think about how it affected his victims and their families, and made an apology for it. I don't think you should hold his past against him now, for a pile on weighing in on his poor managerial job this season, when he took responsibility for it and made good on being rehabilitated. 

I disagree entirely and will leave it at that, if that’s ok with you. 

13 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

How long does he need to suffer for the crimes he's committed though? Clear to anyone, surely, that he's moved beyond it and changed his life.

Edited by ATLIS

1 hour ago, mozam76 said:

I don’t normally read too much into post match interviews, from any manager. They’re usually full of cliches like “go again next week” or some other guff. Over the couple of post match interviews I’ve seen this evening though, Martindale has said that he’s taking responsibility, whilst at the same time blaming “individual errors”. 

I’ve deliberately kept my thoughts on him to myself since he came into the club. I didn’t go over the top with praise for him when we were in the top 6, whilst at the same time admitting that getting us there was an incredible feat. I’ll admit that for me, it’s a personal thing. I don’t like his character, his (alleged) man management methods I can’t stand, and his criminal past repulses me. He didn’t make mistakes - his crimes were deliberate and calculated. I’m aware that I might sound petty or narrow minded in that view but frankly, after today, I don’t give a shit. 

That he is still in post is a joke. I know why though - it’s because he’s in control of the lot. Only thing is, he’s in control of something that is wildly out of control. 

I know of a number of people who refused to return to the club because of  Martindale's past; whilst others mentioned the like of Alan Lithgow and David Robertson. The problem became more apparent because of our label (now almost forgotten) of being a family club. People were unhappy with bringing their young children to a club where people with such backgrounds held positions of importance.

I found the narcotics history to be a particularly difficult one to deal with but he certainly did seem particularly contrite and regretful of his past. He seemed determined not only to turn his own life around but also to  help as many others as he could. 

In the early stages this seemed to work particularly well with the team; many of whom had been through their own struggles; whether personal issues; performance or injury plagued careers - players whose careers had either plateaued or failed to get of the ground.

Of late that particular card seems to have lost its magic. The man who could mold an entire dressing room out of the leftovers of the footballing world does seem to have list the knack.

There are a number though who have never returned to the club; even though we had a couple of seasons with top six finishing our home season ticket sales seem to have rarely exceeded 1,200 which is frankly appalling for a top flight team. I'm not putting that all down to him; a large blame must be carried by the negative press over the years of a number of "colourful characters". Plus our marketing is pretty poor.

Pretty much every football manager (other than Alex Ferguson) has a shelf life after which they need to move on. Its becoming increasingly apparent this is David Martindale's time. It is probably right for him as well as the club that he looks to take on another challenge with another club. He's already proved that he can do it on a particularly tight budget and under challenging circumstances so should have no problem getting another appointment.