Livingston - all the threads merged

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

These deals were likely done months ago, it's not uncommon for clubs to announce signings after a manager has been sacked. Just waited for their season to be over before officially announcing it.

Although in those cases there's usually a separate director of football/head of recruitment who would still be trying to sign players, obviously a bit different with our jack of all trades.

Any "normal" football club i think you may be right.

This is Livingston FC 🤣 and Martindale himself is on record to say he does most things at Livi then he's doing all this and it very much looks like there will be no review of his position despite the rhetoric 🤷‍♂️😂

Edited by Livi

Probably not far away from what will actually happen.

Lets stop pretending that there will be any sort of review and accept Martindale is here until he or the courts decide otherwise

1 hour ago, Livi said:

Probably not far away from what will actually happen.

Lets stop pretending that there will be any sort of review and accept Martindale is here until he or the courts decide otherwise

Was there anyone thinking otherwise?

1 hour ago, CharlieWhisky said:

“So Davie, do you think Davie’s doing a good job?”

“Yes Davie, a great job”

“That’s settled then.”

Aye that's pretty much how he does interviews, asks himself a question, then answers it.😂

4 hours ago, Livi said:

Any "normal" football club i think you may be right.

This is Livingston FC 🤣 and Martindale himself is on record to say he does most things at Livi then he's doing all this and it very much looks like there will be no review of his position despite the rhetoric 🤷‍♂️😂

It's the same model that got us back to back promotions and 6 seasons in the top flight. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

These deals were likely done months ago, it's not uncommon for clubs to announce signings after a manager has been sacked. Just waited for their season to be over before officially announcing it.

Although in those cases there's usually a separate director of football/head of recruitment who would still be trying to sign players, obviously a bit different with our jack of all trades.

Wonder if he signed them knowing we were heading for the Championship/had already given up hope of staying up, or genuinely thinks they're good enough to be playing in the Premiership, if we'd stayed up. If it does turn out to be the latter we're in good shape for next season signing Premiership standard players....................IF.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Wonder if he signed them knowing we were heading for the Championship/had already given up hope of staying up, or genuinely thinks they're good enough to be playing in the Premiership, if we'd stayed up. If it does turn out to be the latter we're in good shape for next season signing Premiership standard players....................IF.

My point is around Martindale and what he says and what you can see happening - they are normally 2 different things.

In terms of the players the decent one looks like Muirhead at Championship level. The others look like a gamble that could well just work for us and here's hoping.  Halkett was a gamble as well ehen we signed him and look what happened with him.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

If he's sensible they'll be somewhere in the middle, good Championship players who could either step up to the Prem or be good back up choices.

Anyone who's clearly shown they're good enough for the Premiership (probably wouldn't be signing for us in the first place) would have made it part of their agreement that they'll only sign if we stay up, so the guys we're bringing in most likely know they wouldn't get an offer of regular first team football in the top flight - bringing it down to whether or not they're actually good enough to help us come straight back up or at least get close to it.

Thank god I chose not to travel up and instead watched Whitburn being promoted to the EoSFL Premier Division.

My laddie did however and said we were utterly woeful after Aberdeen equalised.

Sunday nite can't come quickly enough,an absolute car crash of a season...............

8 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Thank god I chose not to travel up and instead watched Whitburn being promoted to the EoSFL Premier Division.

Sunday nite can't come quickly enough,an absolute car crash of a season...............

Yet Martindale seems to survive all this 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Didn't even acknowledge the 20 odd fans. What a disgrace  that man & him management team are

Last night was essentially a microcosm of our entire season. Martindale obviously deserves the majority of the blame for this season, as he signed and picked the players, as well as set the negative tone throughout.

However the amount of times this supposedly experienced group of players collapse shouldn't excuse the players from blame. Conceding a spate of goals is a running theme. 4 in 20 minutes last night, 3 in 17 minutes against Hibs and 3 in 21 minutes against Motherwell highlights a real lack of character on the pitch, and the main reason why this entire defence and GK should be punted asap. The youngest defender on the pitch last night was Michael Devlin who's 30, so we can't blame a lack of experience. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Livi said:

My point is around Martindale and what he says and what you can see happening - they are normally 2 different things.

In terms of the players the decent one looks like Muirhead at Championship level. The others look like a gamble that could well just work for us and here's hoping.  Halkett was a gamble as well ehen we signed him and look what happened with him.

17 hours ago, LiviLion said:

If he's sensible they'll be somewhere in the middle, good Championship players who could either step up to the Prem or be good back up choices.

Anyone who's clearly shown they're good enough for the Premiership (probably wouldn't be signing for us in the first place) would have made it part of their agreement that they'll only sign if we stay up, so the guys we're bringing in most likely know they wouldn't get an offer of regular first team football in the top flight - bringing it down to whether or not they're actually good enough to help us come straight back up or at least get close to it.

Aye, the likes of Halkett benefitted from us dropping down to League One and playing easier opposition, the whole team seamed to gel at that level, then were solid in the Championship, and even stepping up another level to the Premiership. Biggest surprise was how well Lithgow did, being able to step up and still be solid in the top flight.

27 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Last night was essentially a microcosm of our entire season. Martindale obviously deserves the majority of the blame for this season, as he signed and picked the players, as well as set the negative tone throughout.

However the amount of times this supposedly experienced group of players collapse shouldn't excuse the players from blame. Conceding a spate of goals is a running theme. 4 in 20 minutes last night, 3 in 17 minutes against Hibs and 3 in 21 minutes against Motherwell highlights a real lack of character on the pitch, and the main reason why this entire defence and GK should be punted asap. The youngest defender on the pitch last night was Michael Devlin who's 30, so we can't blame a lack of experience. 

Aye and 4 in 22 mins against Hearts too after we were 2 goals up, 15 times we've conceded 3 goals or more this season, absolutely shocking defensive stat.

Would make you weep seeing how poor defensively we've become, when you think back to how good we were the first few seasons in the Premiership, complete shambles now.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

10 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Have they any decent CB's we can pinch?😉

I'm joking but maybe they have.:unsure:

I saw on Saturday Martindale apparently asked fans to “geez a break” when he was criticised from the stands.

I don’t think it’s unfair to say that being given the opportunity to run this football club from top to bottom without challenge is the biggest fucking break he’s had in his life.

16 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

I saw on Saturday Martindale apparently asked fans to “geez a break” when he was criticised from the stands.

I don’t think it’s unfair to say that being given the opportunity to run this football club from top to bottom without challenge is the biggest fucking break he’s had in his life.

Bravo, bravo, bravo

When will other start to wake up and realise this.

4 minutes ago, Livi said:

Bravo, bravo, bravo

When will other start to wake up and realise this.

Plenty of fans realise this - you just have to look at Twitter and the FB Forum to see the reaction to games, and Martindale's press conferences

10 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Plenty of fans realise this - you just have to look at Twitter and the FB Forum to see the reaction to games, and Martindale's press conferences

I agree there is a lot more dissent now than there has been. Martindale still has his supporters though 🤷‍♂️ 

It needs collective voices individual voices won't be enough to put pressure on for the changes that are needed.