Livingston - all the threads merged

On that point about bankable assets, this is something that dramatically changes outside the Premiership. Had Livi been in the Championship in the 19/20 season, we'd have got £200k for Dykes not £2M. Selling players is so much less of a prize in the Championship. That's why the youth development models the likes of Falkirk tried didn't bring the financial rewards that were hoped for. They could only sell their youth products for around £200k - £400k whereas a Motherwell in the Prem would get £1M - £3M for a successful youth product.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

On that point about bankable assets, this is something that dramatically changes outside the Premiership. Had Livi been in the Championship in the 19/20 season, we'd have got £200k for Dykes not £2M. Selling players is so much less of a prize in the Championship. That's why the youth development models the likes of Falkirk tried didn't bring the financial rewards that were hoped for. They could only sell their youth products for around £200k - £400k whereas a Motherwell in the Prem would get £1M - £3M for a successful youth product.

Not sure I entirely agree with you on this point.

Hamilton were once  masters at the youth set up and selling them on for £1m plus to England top tiers. Granted that has changed in recent times as Hamilton went through their own  financial and ownership challenges

Edited by Livi

37 minutes ago, Livi said:

Hamilton were once  masters at the youth set up and selling them on for £1m plus to England top tiers. Granted that has changed in recent times as Hamilton went through their own  financial and ownership challenges

Were Hamilton not a Premier League team at that point?

29 minutes ago, Livi said:

Out of interest what players did Hamilton sell for that kind of money while in the Championship?

Ryan One is the only one I could think but I thought that was only ever reported as a "six figure fee".

49 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Out of interest what players did Hamilton sell for that kind of money while in the Championship?

Ryan One is the only one I could think but I thought that was only ever reported as a "six figure fee".

Here you go

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10899448/hamilton-one-forsyth-brighton-norwich-leeds-mccarthy-mcarthur/amp/

14 minutes ago, Livi said:

Is the point being made not that these initial transfer fees would have possibly been more if Hamilton were selling as a Premiership team though? Looks like a cracking piece of business from a well run academy, however it seems the lower you are the more you have to rely on any sell ons compared to the money spent on McCarthy/McArthur?

Re Sangare -

I believe in the few months he's been with us he's been caught drinking driving my police on more than one occasion.

Quite possibly why we would want rid of him.

6 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Re Sangare -

I believe in the few months he's been with us he's been caught drinking driving my police on more than one occasion.

Quite possibly why we would want rid of him.

He's actually a strict follower of Islam and observed Ramadan in full a couple of months back. Presumably that means that he doesn't touch alcohol?

I see there is much discussion on the season ticket prices for next season & the launch next week. 

Maybe we should just rename it to the "Livi FC Court Cases ST" as thats what it will fund rather than player additions.

IMO it's shameful that the club sent out messages on its social media channels expecting fans to cough up more money and not even acknowledge the season that has just been upon us. 

I accept sone fans will just dig deep again but i think this behaviour and action from Martindale and Ward will also cost the club as some fans will just keep their hands in their pockets. 

9 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

It can’t be common to put the price up (per game) when a club gets relegated?

What a sorry state our club is in.

I see the club servants (ahem volunteers) have been sent out in force on X defending it 🤔🙄

They are missing the point. The club is taking its very loyal supporters for a ride. Not to worry the local taxi company will fill any shortfall in ££'sn 🤔🥴🤣

To be honest, I’m missing the football already. Was away to head out for a pint last night and catch a game and then … nooooo.

I understand why the club would want to get season ticket sales underway asap. In the same way the outgoing player list has been clarified and incoming, too. Did strike me that the prices seemed a bit steep but I think that about football generally when I think about what else could do for the same money.

A few folk mentioned that the season tickets haven’t increased the past few years (however I haven’t checked) If so, it looks like the new prices are fairly similar to Championship clubs already without implementing a massive reduction from the Premiership prices . £320ish would have been my preference, however football is a business for the owners and a luxury for fans so there’s always going to be a fair bit of tension at this time

Most forum comments seem to be mainly from folk who are definitely boycotting the club anyway 😂 

The walk up prices are too high, and not enticing to any fair weather fans however. I’d prefer to see those reduced.

42 minutes ago, crispy said:

To be honest, I’m missing the football already. Was away to head out for a pint last night and catch a game and then … nooooo.

I understand why the club would want to get season ticket sales underway asap. In the same way the outgoing player list has been clarified and incoming, too. Did strike me that the prices seemed a bit steep but I think that about football generally when I think about what else could do for the same money.

Your missing hoof ball and Martindale screaming and balling from the sidelines 🥴😀

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Genuinely don’t think the season ticket prices are bad. They’re in line with the prices of other clubs in the Championship. 

Yep, we all want cheaper season tickets but the way some folk are going about it you'd think they've been upped to £500.

Will probably wait until after the court case before getting mine, partly since I'm 99% sure there's going to be some issue with Fanbase.

Posted (edited)

Just for the sake of conversation, I went back to our last Championship season to look at the season ticket prices:

st17-1.jpg

At a first glance you'd think that's a big hike but an inflation calculator shows that apparently £240 in 2016 is £327.76 in 2024 money. An effective price rise of £12.24, which when you consider that works out at a £1.53 increase per season, I wouldn't say it's too bad value.

Edited by ATLIS