Livingston - all the threads merged

I’m surprised to see the criticism focused on Yengi. I haven’t seen the other games, but today I thought he held the ball up well and linked up with others (albeit outside the box) the problem today seemed to be the wingers and RB/LB stuck to playing very wide 

1 hour ago, The Wrong Car said:

I’m surprised to see the criticism focused on Yengi. I haven’t seen the other games, but today I thought he held the ball up well and linked up with others (albeit outside the box) the problem today seemed to be the wingers and RB/LB stuck to playing very wide 

I agree. Yengi was much more like last seasons Yengi today than in the previous games. Our wingers seemed to always want to do one more chop rather than getting the ball to the striker. Must have been frustrating for Yengi to be honest.

We were so lethargic in the first half and seemed to want every player to have a touch rather than passing through the lines. That allowed Spartans to be super organised - which they did magnificently to be fair to them. Lots of passes a yard behind the man rather than a yard in front which slowed everything down time and again.

We missed Stephen Kelly in the 10 hugely. Spartans were well drilled and McAlear and others did not have the inventiveness to create good chances. Sole looked dangerous when he came on whereas Korboa had a bit of a mare - always wanting an extra touch so he lost the ball.

Hugely disappointing not to come out of that group but we struggled for goals in every one of the games. Will need to sort that as other Champ teams seem to be scoring for fun.

Edited by Snooky

3 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Just watched DMs post match interview.......absolutely shocking from him !!

He speaks of a moment 2nd half,about not losing being better than anything else.

Because he contemplated going for the win and then shat it 😡

This defeat lies squarely at his door,he absolutely overthinks far too much and time after time it's egg all over faces,as a result. 

Guaranteed if he put another striker on and gone for the win but we still lost it would be his fault too 🙄

We are simply too slow and lack any real plan when going forward. We don't score enough goals or carry enough of a threat going forward and it has been this way for a few seasons now and Martindale HAS to do something to rectify it. He's either incapable of it or the players don't listen to him. 

He put Green on today then roared at everyone that the play was to go through him. Why? Just play the ball forward rather than constantly going through one guy who's incredibly deep. 

We have absolutely nothing in the middle of the park. Full backs go so far forward that it leads to two things. 1. Our cm's drop to CB, now generally this is ok but it leaves a huge gap in the middle of the park. 2. Our wingers drop deep to collect the ball because we don't love forward quick enough. As a direct result of this our striker, Yengi, ended up playing more out wide today but even when he did well there was no support. 

Thankfully he's reverted to 4 at the back this season but our style is still way too slow.

44 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

We scored 5 goals in a group which included two tier 4 teams and one tier 3 team.  Yet people are on here desperate to make excuses for Martindale.  The sooner he is bombed out the better.

You sir are not towing the PARTY line. The team had won 3 going into yesterday's game 😄

Despite everyone doing there best and trying hard and the manager being the best we can afford i do however agree with your short summary.

Ps given what you say how many goals has the Livi (recognised) No 9 scored so far this season? 

High ✋

11 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Guaranteed if he put another striker on and gone for the win but we still lost it would be his fault too 🙄

Tactical decisions which lead to us losing the match are the managers fault, yes.

15 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Admittedly wasn't at the game so I have no idea how it was going but I can't blame him for having that thought as I had the same. If it looks like you're not going to be able to score and you know any loss will put you out, it makes sense not to go gung ho and increase the risk of a loss. 

Really poor to fall at the final hurdle when we were heavy favourites though. Hopefully Kelly is back next week.

My mate said jokingly we should take the ball into the corner flag with 25 mins to go. Seriously though i think we should've knocked it about in our half and forced Spartans to come up the pitch so we'd have more room to attack in their box. We could easily have played round them if they just sent a couple of players up to press the ball (which they didn't do at any time all game), then passed back again just making them run about fruitlessly till they sent more players up, or if they didn't then feck it, there was no pressure on us to score, we'd be through as group winners with a draw, it was all on them to get the win. Our CB's wont have an easier game all season, bringing it out of defence.

Also really frustrating we stick to defending set plays with 10 outfield players in our box, surely playing a League Two team we could afford to stick a player up the pitch for a counter attack, Shamal got the ball a few times and had to wait for everyone moving up the pitch, then ended up rolling it out to a player, for a slow build up.

On a more positive note, yes we struggled to break Spartans down, but doubt we'll get another Championship team playing with such a low block against us, so games will be more open, and up till that game we were doing pretty well winning 3 and conceding 0 goals. 

We wont really know how the season is going to be for us till we start playing league games, it's a bit reactionary after a 1-0 defeat to assume we'll struggle, these group games are still used to get the team match fit and gel the new signings, we can see we're not sharp enough in the final third, but it could click in a week or two.

I didn't post last night because i was as sick as the rest of you at going out, still gutting when we were sitting on 9 pts and went out by such a slim margin,  3 times. 1st by losing the game by a late goal, 2nd by Spartans drawing on pts and GD, but had a GF of 7 to our 5, and 3rd by Utd having 9pts and a +5 GD to our 9pts and a +4 GD as one of three 2nd best placed teams. Bottom line is though, we had it in our own hands to qualify by winning the game, or just not losing.

Also, have to congratulate Spartans on getting through the group, they scored a late goal against Forfar to keep themselves in with a chance of winning the group, and then did it again against us, you have to hand it to them, what a fantastic effort.

29 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Is there any bookies with relegation markets for our league?

Last I saw up until yesterday afternoon, we were 4th favourites behind Raith Partick and Falkirk at 11/2 to win the league. 

6 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Last I saw up until yesterday afternoon, we were 4th favourites behind Raith Partick and Falkirk at 11/2 to win the league. 

Yeah i think he's looking for odds on our relegation.

Raith got knocked out at the group stages too, and Partick will prob be out after playing Motherwell today. Also the 3 Championship  teams that did get through all had 9pts, with 3 wins and a loss, the same as us. A bit of perspective needed after some knee jerk reactions from a disappointing result. It's always nice having a cup run, but it's early days in the season, with teams having new signings and getting players match fit, these group results don't mean much on how the league campaign will go.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah i think he's looking for odds on our relegation.

Raith got knocked out at the group stages too, and Partick will prob be out after playing Motherwell today. Also the 3 Championship  teams that did get through all had 9pts, with 3 wins and a loss, the same as us. A bit of perspective needed after some knee jerk reactions from a disappointing result. It's always nice having a cup run, but it's early days in the season, with teams having new signings and getting players match fit, these group results don't mean much on how the league campaign will go.

You keep believing that. Livi was the "big" team in our group. The other teams had an Premiership team in their group we didn't

If Livi have any ambition to do something good in Championship they should have strolled that group.

Its clear from what others have said Martindale's tactics were a-lot of the problem yesterday

Lets stop making excuses and accept it was a massive lost opportunity.

High ✋ 

Edited by Livi

2 minutes ago, Livi said:

You keep believing that. Livi was the "big" team in our group. The other teams had an Premiership team in their group we didn't

If Livi have any ambition to do something good in Championship they should have strolled that group.

Its clear from what others have said Martindale's tactics were a-lot of the problem yesterday

Lets stop making excuses and accept it was a massive lost opportunity.

High ✋ 

We created more chances to score than any of our other games in the group and were never really troubled at the back. What was wrong with the tactics? When the team is creating chances and not taking them, that's on the players....not the tactics. 

C'mon guys it is not acceptable to play for a point against a League 2 side at home.......

Go for the juggular, game over with a win or a point to take us over the line, but to actively play for a point at home to a League 2 side,fook me  🙄

2 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

C'mon guys it is not acceptable to play for a point against a League 2 side at home.......

Go for the juggular, game over with a win or a point to take us over the line, but to actively play for a point at home to a League 2 side,fook me  🙄

How is 14 shots on goal playing for a draw?

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

How is 14 shots on goal playing for a draw?

He admitted in his post match interview hooch,that he thought mid 2nd half about going for it but instead, shat the bed and wahay we're out ........

We're gonna come up against some attacking flair in Thistle,Raith,Airdrie,Falkirk and Ayr this season. 

Scoring goals however worries me more 🙄

I'm not writing us off, not in the slightest but the 1st month will tell a tale on how we're gonna fare.

3 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

We're gonna come up against some attacking flair in Thistle,Raith,Airdrie,Falkirk and Ayr this season. 

Scoring goals however worries me more 🙄

I'm not writing us off, not in the slightest but the 1st month will tell a tale on how we're gonna fare.

It should be an EASY win this Saturday but as you say its games against the Raith's, Falkirk's, Partick and Airdrie that will be interesting to watch  

High ✋