Livingston - all the threads merged

Ooh, that's a good group. I wanna be in their gang.

Yoss - the point I was making is that if you describe Livingston as a franchise, then all football teams are franchises. What happened to Livingston has happened far more successfully hundreds of times. It's how teams develop and evolve. Arsenal are the obvious example. Nobody calls Arsenal "Franchise FC". It's a cheap shot by people who don't understand sporting franchises - or the history of football - at a club which doesn't need cheap shots.

We've been over this one before and I just don't agree. Whether you think franchise is the right word or not (I think it is) there's a fundamental difference in philosophy of allowing clubs to move around the country according to the highest bidder or other dictates, and between allowing them to stand or fall in the area in which they arise and sort themselves out through promotion / relegation that way. It is different, there's no way of pretending otherwise and historic examples from the early days of the football league have no bearing on it - the leagues have not been there forever and of course there was a time when clubs had to be voted in and around on an ad hoc basis. That was still the case after the war when Arsenal moved and were dubsiously voted back into the first division; it's totally irrelevent to the debate on the difference in philosophy from where we are now.

Where I go that idea from then is a complete mystery. :-) Thanks for clearing up.

Various Gretna fantasists used to take the fact that Rowan Alexander was mowing the grass and exaggerate it into the club being on death's door.

The SFL should have sought gaurantees on Livis future long before now.

They have let the situation fester all summer and typically sat on their hands.

No doubt they`ll have their usual blazers meeting to see which fanless pointless club should get to "join" their

private members club.

The key asset is 'membership' or 'share' in the governing body. Clubs have been bought, their identities changed, and locations shifted. They may be in the minority, but I doubt that there many clubs in existence whose initial identity (corporate or otherwise) has remained constant even if the original name and home town location hasn't been changed. In that sense, similar to American sports, the term franchise has some validity.

I've never seen being a member of the SFL as being part of a franchise, but I suppose it could be interpreted that way, as they provide you with membership.

Moving a team from one geographical location to another a certain distance away, and changing the teams name to suit the new location, seems to be more in line with franchising. It's still not what I understood to be franchising. Bascially I saw franchising as flogging a name.

I noticed this:

http://franchises.about.com/od/franchiseba...-franchises.htm

A franchise is a right granted to an individual or group to market a company's goods or services within a certain territory or location. Some examples of today's popular franchises are McDonald's, Subway, Domino's Pizza, and the UPS Store.

Ok so mabye not entirely correct. I mean they developed unsustainably. Gretna were no better than a pub team. Clyde moved to a new town full of inbreds and custard eaters who don't have a house never mind a hunger for football. The boardroom staff at these clubs spent money they didn't have in the hope that their clubs would grow into the new wage bills they have created, this was never going to happen. These sorts of clubs deserve to go to the wall and be fucked up against that wall, right up the shitter, no mercy.

I'm feeling very slightly aroused. Have you ever considered publishing your homo-erotic prose?

All this talk of fit and proper person tests/criteria, what would that involve then?

1. Can they fill in a form?

2. Do they wear a suit?

3. Do they have bottles of mineral water at each seat place at their meetings?

4. ???

5. Profit!