Quick Question Thread

I have been called up for Jury duty and the day I'm meant to start is only a couple of days before I travel to Sweden. On the thing they sent me it says 'The sitting to which you have been cited has been set down for 2 weeks'. Does this mean the trial could last 2 weeks and that if chosen I'd be pretty much screwed with regards my trip?

I have been called up for Jury duty and the day I'm meant to start is only a couple of days before I travel to Sweden. On the thing they sent me it says 'The sitting to which you have been cited has been set down for 2 weeks'. Does this mean the trial could last 2 weeks and that if chosen I'd be pretty much screwed with regards my trip?

I think it means they estimate it could last for 2 weeks, so yes you could be fecked (although I presume they'd have to compensate you for flights/hotels etc that you'd already paid for?). Just pray your name isn't drawn out the hat (if that's still how they do it?).

I've just had a proper read of the booklet they sent and it says 'If you have any pre existing holiday commitments which make it difficult for you to serve as a juror in such a trial, please contact the court immediately'.

A Scotland friendly is more important than the Scottish justice system. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Did you sign for the letter? If not just fuck it in the bin and enjoy your holiday.

It wasn't by registered post or anything like that.

I phoned the court and they said it was likely to be loads of shorter cases rather than one long biggie as the letter suggested and that if chosen I should be fine to go away as well as doing a few days jury duty. To be honest though, it sounded like the woman I spoke to had absolutely no idea about the procedure and that she was just bullshitting me to get me off the line!

I got summoned for Jury Duty a few years back, on the letter it said that the trial could last for a few weeks. On the first day all they did was choose the jury (there were about forty of us there, of whom only 15 IIRC will be picked), and then the second day those who were picked came back (myself included). The trial only lasted a couple of hours.

Does it say what court it is for? If it's for one of the smaller district or sherrif courts then they don't really deal with trials which last more than a day anyway. If it's for one of the higher courts then I guess it's more likely to last longer.

I got summoned for Jury Duty a few years back, on the letter it said that the trial could last for a few weeks. On the first day all they did was choose the jury (there were about forty of us there, of whom only 15 IIRC will be picked), and then the second day those who were picked came back (myself included). The trial only lasted a couple of hours.

Does it say what court it is for? If it's for one of the smaller district or sherrif courts then they don't really deal with trials which last more than a day anyway. If it's for one of the higher courts then I guess it's more likely to last longer.

Its only high court trials that have a jury is it not?

One of the directors of the company I work for emailed to say his wife (who is a high court judge) needed a hotel room with us booked out for 4 weeks as she had a trial at the High Court.

Probably not one of the smartest things I've done when I jokingly emailed back saying "Why, what did she do?"

I've just had a proper read of the booklet they sent and it says 'If you have any pre existing holiday commitments which make it difficult for you to serve as a juror in such a trial, please contact the court immediately'.

A Scotland friendly is more important than the Scottish justice system. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

I honestly dont think you'll have much of a problem getting off this especially if you've already booked and paid for flights,hotel etc,etc.

Let the court know asap and it wont do any harm to exagerate on the actual cost a wee bit

Its only high court trials that have a jury is it not?

Nope sheriff and jury trials have one also

In Scotland you have the following

District Court /no jury

Sheriff court/no jury

sheriff and jury & high courts have jurys.

Edited by Unleash The Nade

But then it wouldn't need a jury

Correct. Fudge had said that it's just Falkirk Sheriff Court and I was trying to explain the different types of cases that come before the court. I realise that he wont be needed for a sheriff only case.

Correct. Fudge had said that it's just Falkirk Sheriff Court and I was trying to explain the different types of cases that come before the court. I realise that he wont be needed for a sheriff only case.

Bollocks.Apologies ,I never read your post correctly

LAWBREAKERS: Attending Falkirk Sheriff Court as a defender? Be sure to impress the judge and jury by wearing your very best Rangers top. Further praise can be earned by alternating between home and away strips for trials lasting more than one day.

A very random one this, and I doubt anyone will know the answer unless they've fallen in but here goes.

Is the River Clyde still saltwater in Glasgow city centre and further east towards Hamilton etc as it is down at Dumbarton/Helensburgh/Greenock way?

You can't 'smell the sea' east of these places but I don't know how the water type can just change.

A very random one this, and I doubt anyone will know the answer unless they've fallen in but here goes.

Is the River Clyde still saltwater in Glasgow city centre and further east towards Hamilton etc as it is down at Dumbarton/Helensburgh/Greenock way?

You can't 'smell the sea' east of these places but I don't know how the water type can just change.

The Clyde is tidal up to the weir at Glasgow green I think.. How salty it is?