Quick Question Thread

VL stands for virgin lips, i.e. someone who has never been kissed (M. Wallace)

The "A. Person" refers to the person concerned and the area refers to where they are from.

A VL can also be someone who has never played five-a-side football in the area of Scotstoun Stadium.

Happy to help. :)

Edit, Never mind then <_<

Edited by SoapMactavish

VL stands for virgin lips, i.e. someone who has never been kissed (M. Wallace)

The "A. Person" refers to the person concerned and the area refers to where they are from.

A VL can also be someone who has never played five-a-side football in the area of Scotstoun Stadium.

Happy to help. :)

Edit, Never mind then <_<

Pretty sure VL refers to kisses on the lips, by someone other than a relative. Just thought I'd expand on what you'd said.

Why is wine sold in 750 ml bottles?

It's the metric equivalent of the standard 1/6 gallon size that came into use when moulded bottles started being used in the 1820's

See https://www.lfw.co.uk/whisky_review/SWR22/article22-4.html in Loch Fyne Whiskies' (sadly discontinued) "Scotch Whisky Review"

William Younger’s examination of bottles from between 1660—1817 in the Ashmolean Museum showed the capacity of wine (and therefore whisky) bottles remained relatively constant at around 30 Fl.Oz during this period, in spite of bottles being free-blown.

With the introduction of moulded bottles in the 1820s it became much easier to standardise capacity, and this was soon fixed at 26 2/3 Fl.Oz (or 1/6th of a gallon).

About 1900 this capacity was defined by law for a standard bottle—along with 40 Fl.Oz (equal to an Imperial quart – 2 pints), 13 1/3 Fl.Oz (half bottle), 6 2/3 Fl.Oz (quarter bottle), 3 4/5 Fl. Oz (miniature). Brand owners were not required to print the capacity on the label until after the Second World War, however, although some did.

Since January 1980 capacities have been expressed metrically on bottle labels, in line with the Système International d’Unités, when 26 2/3 Fl.Oz became 75 cl, half bottles 37.5cl, quarter bottles 18.75cl and miniatures 5cl.

I hope you get a severe case of it

sad.gif I'be been quite a good poster tonight, ive managed to get no insults nor any red dots. I was trying to improve my postings sad.gif and now you come along and make me bitter... and my reformation has regressed. Hope your happy with yourself you silly chap