The New Raith Rovers Thread

Don't think anyone should get their hopes up too much about McBride. Might be handy to have some pace to bring off the bench but I don't see him as a starter if we've got anything like a full squad.

I'm hoping we get Johnny Russell back.

Your thoughts regarding McBride echo those I was having last month regarding the then not unlikely (now almost certain) partnership of Weir and Baird up front.

We seem unlikely to get another striker now, we also look unlikely to get Russell, injured for six weeks at least and likely to have another option in RC should Houston deign to send him out on loan.

Basically, for all of us that were hoping for more strengthening before the season starts, it's hang on to your seats and put your faith in John 'I'm happy with the squad as it is' McGlynn time.

Edited by renton

That is the thing...how are is McGlynn supposed to strengthen the squad when his hands are STILL tied behind his back?

McBride and Baird although on full-time deals will maybe be on slightly less wages than maybe Sloan and Darren Smith? But I'm just guessing. Or maybe on a similar wage but we will get more out of them being younger and full time? My guess is as good as any one else though. McGlynn always said he wanted to lower the average age of the squad and he has done this. Campbell and Wilson when back will be like new signings basically.

First few pre-season fixtures will get the boys fit, and hopefully firing on all cylinders. Never know, Tade might bag some goals. Maybe Williamson has discovered how to actually challenge and put himself about?

I don't think we'll match what we achieved last season, but I don't think it will be drastically worse in terms of injuries, suspensions and call off's.

Why are we worrying so much, all the other teams in our league haven't made any earth shattering signings. I have faith in McGlynn, he certainly knows better than us. Remember the scepticism about Hill and Tade, and you can see what they achieved. I would worry when there IS something worry about.

Why are we worrying so much, all the other teams in our league haven't made any earth shattering signings. I have faith in McGlynn, he certainly knows better than us. Remember the scepticism about Hill and Tade, and you can see what they achieved. I would worry when there IS something worry about.

Im more concerned that we havent actually got a bigger squad from last season, think it may actually be smaller, we let 2 strikers go in Bryce and our lastest spanish import as well as our loans and only brought one striker in. I would be more confident if we had a slightly bigger squad. I realise we shouldnt be signing players just for the sake of get the squad size up but i dont want a repeat of the emergency loan circus of last year

We've said the same thing about the size of the squad every summer since McGlynn has been here though. Things will develop over the season. I agree with you all that I would like to add to the squad yet though - having just one more player would significantly increas the number of options in the forward line.

Maybe we'll see a bit more of Tam Graham this season.

i doubt we will se johnny russel back, reports this week in the papers and from united fans forum suggest he was to be part of houstons pre season and next seasons squad until he got injured 1st week back and is out for minimum of 6 weeks!

we do have Weir, Tade, Graham, baird all strikers or attacking midfeilders who can play up front. my guess now is

weir will start with baird during pre season, Last term weir never got a chance to get back to full fitness, but the games he did play he played brilliantly without scoring. bring on pre season or at least the 1st 3 games then see where we are after that.also if u look at highlights and reports from cowden last season mcbride was almost playing as an attacking midfeilder behind a loan striker when he scored his goals, so who knows a 1 up top striker with a 5 midfeild! mcglynn will have a back up play if it doesnt work out, why else would he keep weir if wasnt planning on playing him or think he was capable, he punted wardlaw, hissy,bryce all for these reasons! couldve said the same to weir but didnt, give the team a chance then decide!

we do have Weir, Tade, Graham, baird all strikers or attacking midfeilders who can play up front. my guess now is

weir will start with baird during pre season, Last term weir never got a chance to get back to full fitness, but the games he did play he played brilliantly without scoring. bring on pre season or at least the 1st 3 games then see where we are after that.also if u look at highlights and reports from cowden last season mcbride was almost playing as an attacking midfeilder behind a loan striker when he scored his goals, so who knows a 1 up top striker with a 5 midfeild! mcglynn will have a back up play if it doesnt work out, why else would he keep weir if wasnt planning on playing him or think he was capable, he punted wardlaw, hissy,bryce all for these reasons! couldve said the same to weir but didnt, give the team a chance then decide!

I must've missed these incredible performances from Weir. I can remember him playing well at Aberdeen and Dundee in the cup, Dundee at home in the league.. that's about it really. And frankly, it doesn't matter how well he played, he's a striker who played, according to the website, 1500 minutes of first team football last season and scored an impressive tally of zero goals. That's unacceptable, and the only reason he's still here is because he's under contract. He was diabolical last season and if we're hoping he's suddenly going to turn into a goalscorer, we're in even bigger trouble than all of us originally thought.

Not that I think he'll start, anyway. Weir and Baird wouldn't do too much together, they're too similar. Tade and Baird up top I reckon, from two points of view: we're going to try and make Tade our "proper" centre forward because we haven't got anyone else, and if Tade was on the right wing where would one of Walker, Simmons and Davidson play? They're all going to play, regardless of formation, form, ability, other options etc.

This post actually reads like I'm panicking, but I'm not really. I'm fairly confident we'll be playing Partick Thistle with a new striker in the ranks, although it probably will be on loan. McGlynn always starts the season with a squad that's thin on options and brings in players as we need them.

Edited by Paco

"brilliantly" is stretching a point but I agree Weir played better, at least in patches, than his goal tally. Not much point in speculating as to whether he'd have been kept on or not if he were out of contract, but he played well enough the previous season to deserve another chance I think.

He might have a great season, weird things happen that way, who knows how and why Gareth Wardlaw suddenly became a goal machine last season? In fact all the top scorers in the second division in the last few years have come pretty much from nowhere. (Less so in the first, I think, but I wasn't paying so much attention.) Clearly, we wouldn't want to be relying on it though.

We're apparently monitoring Kevin Smith's situation. It'll amount to nothing, but I thought you'd be interested to know.

As much as I attempt shitey, transparent wind-ups, this is a serious question....

Do you think that Partick Thistle would be able to offer Smith better terms than Raith could?

Also, do you think Smith would see Thistle as the better option out of the two?

As much as I attempt shitey, transparent wind-ups, this is a serious question....

Do you think that Partick Thistle would be able to offer Smith better terms than Raith could?

If Smith's interest was purely monetary, in a straight up bidding war I reckon we'd lose.

We'd be relying on the personal relationships Smith has built up already at Stark's, as well as the obvious rapport with the support to counter balance that.

Edited by renton

*tries to stay positive*

1) Yes

2) Depends on Smiths priorities.

We're certainly not gearing up for a promotion push. I dont see the team being significantly strengthened from last season. While I dont see us being in relegation trouble there's nothing to stir expectation.

Now, while I wouldnt expect us to be ready for a promotion push the season after coming up from the Second, I would be expecting us to be developing the side for a promotion push next year, and that doesnt appear to be happening. Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season.