The New Raith Rovers Thread

Basically things for Penman started to go wrong when he fell out with Jimmy Nicholl. Killie, Norwich, Northern Ireland all came calling when we had him but Penman was reluctant to let him leave (obviously). Nicholl got pissed off and and made the fact that they didn't get on pretty public. Because the fans all loved Jimmy, most of us supported him. Once he left, and things went tits up on the park, the knifes were out for Penman.

Personally I think he should have stuck with Jimmy Thompson. He wasn't given a fair crack of the whip. It led to the Tommy McLean and Ian Munro eras which went badly wrong!

Jimmy Thompson saw out the season Nichol left despite the team getting being sold off lock stock and barrel. He was then given money and built his own team over the summer with the largest budget of any rovers manager before or since but got punted after about 4 games at the start of the following season.

I always wonder what went on at the start of that season was it too much pressure over the cost of refurbishing the ground large wage bill, players fighting  I know Dennis and Duffield had a squarish go at half time.

2711 has the jist of it as I recall proceedings. AP did have a very public spat with Nichol but also didn't get on terribly well with all the other Directors either, some of whom decided to leave as (to quote one at the time who intimated) they "couldn't work with Mr Penman".  One of the reputed jibes of the time to Jimmy Nic was the chairman allegedly telling him "I can get a better manager than you for less money!"

As for the Jimmy T saga the suggestion has long been AP appointed Thomson as nothing more than a stop gap until his preferred candidate for the post was clear of his court case for being sacked at his previous club (Hearts), the timing of the end of the court case, the subsequent sacking of JT and appointment of McLean (all during Sept 1996) would seem to bear this out.

It should never be ignored that Alex P presided over the most successful period certainly in my many years of being a supporter, if not ever. He oversaw a lot that we should be grateful for.

But it shouldn't be forgotten either that having taken the club to the SPL won the LC and taken us into Europe the lovely new stands he commissioned Barr Construction to build have been quite problematic and the pitch has never been right since either. Of course AP was not directly in charge of the construction work but as a man who's fortune was built in that industry you'd have thought he would have prevented the issues that followed in the years since. He left the club relegated and with debts (Barr Const being the main one).The money to build at SP came largely from: The Football trust, LC winning run (& TV), UEFA Cup run and the sale of key assets (Cameron, Crawford, Dair, McAnespie and Sinclair). Laudably sound business management at the time.

If I'm honest having notoriously had a spat with AP myself I have to admit to not being his biggest fan but in my book I always thought Alan Kelly did far more damage than anyone else in the history of the club and to me will always be the villain of the peace. Although he inherited debts from the previous chairman's time he increased them significantly and set the club in a spiral of financial decline that we are still emerging from.

Kelly's lifetime season ticket offer continues to be a noose round the clubs neck, even now!

Pish. How many folk took it up?

My pal had one and he emigrated to New Zealand in 2002. From memory the club was saying there's only about 30 of them still at large.

Could the club not come to some kind of arrangement with the 30 folk who have had their monies worth now. For example throw them.some hospitality and free tickets for cup games for the next few years would still work out cheaper in the long run.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

Could the club not come to some kind of arrangement with the 30 folk who have had their monies worth now. For example throw them.some hospitality and free tickets for cup games for the next few years would still work out cheaper in the long run.

Val has a few ideas up her sleeve but she'll probably use them in her next book.

You could emotionally blackmail them, but it's Rovers who offered the deal and these punters backed them when they needed the cash. It's only about £7k lost revenue per season and there's no saying these fans even still go or would buy a season ticket otherwise.

The club would be better sweet-talking the Police in Fife. They cost us way more money by forcing us to have all ticket games and stopping sales by noon. That is fucking madness given we almost never sell out Starks Park.

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You could emotionally blackmail them, but it's Rovers who offered the deal and these punters backed them when they needed the cash. 

And some of these punters saw it as a crakin deal for them as opposed to them seeing it as helping the club

A fukin stupid idea by a stupid man

Pish. How many folk took it up?

My pal had one and he emigrated to New Zealand in 2002. From memory the club was saying there's only about 30 of them still at large.

As someone who really isn't familiar with the lifelong season ticket due to age, how much was it and what was the initial uptake? What was the general thoughts about it at the time?

And some of these punters saw it as a crakin deal for them as opposed to them seeing it as helping the club

A fukin stupid idea by a stupid man

Either way, it's small beer compared to the ticketing situation we have now.

As someone who really isn't familiar with the lifelong season ticket due to age, how much was it and what was the initial uptake? What was the general thoughts about it at the time?

About 100 folk. £1000.

Off The Ball described it as a "Life sentence at Stark's Park."

It cost £1000 if you paid cash. I got it with a finance deal so it cost a bit more. The club at one point offered shares in the club worth £800 (they said) to give it up. It was the best buy I ever made! There were around 80 of us who took it up.